• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New ring neck owner looking for reading material and advice!

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi there!

I've been thinking about getting a ring neck for a while. It may be this year or the next but I would like to get prepared!

I'm not sure where to start with my research so it would be nice to get some advice and reading material :)

Also, would getting a baby or adult be better? I'm open to either and know that they would bring about different sets of challenges.

Thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have been busy at work, but have been meaning to respond :)

IRN are going to be different than Preeno. In terms of reading material, there is a lot of old and misleading information online about IRN. IRN and most Asiatic parrots (Psittaculas) do not allopreen as South American, some African or Australian birds do. This means that they generally do not require help with pin feathers. Online, especially on YouTube, it is easy to find people who are stroking, petting or scritching their IRN. However it is important to understand that touch is sexual for them, it is usually only bonded pairs who touch each others' heads/bodies. I have a plumhead parrot, and although he isn't an IRN, they have similar body language and behaviours. I never touch my plumhead, except his feet when he is stepping up, or his beak when I give him a treat or when he insists on 'kissing' me. I think respecting an IRN's personal bubble is key to developing a trusting friendship that isn't based on courting. They are highly intelligent birds and you can give them very complex foraging toys and activities. The more you enrich their environment and allow them the space to play the better your friendship will become. Being more hands off doesn't mean you aren't interacting. I find my plumhead to be very engaged in my life. He likes to always be in my line of sight even if he isn't directly on me. He follows me from room to room but usually goes to his play stands. That is until he wants to treat or snackies, then he lands on my key board and starts tossing things off my desk, cheeky boy!

IRN will require a wide range of fresh veggies and fruits in addition to pellets and some seeds. Fresh produce is an important part of their health. IRN also require regular baths. You will probably learn to read when your bird wants them. My plumhead is very good at informing me when he wants a shower.

The best bit of reading that I think can prepare you for an IRN is related to the myth of bluffing (linked below this paragraph). A lot of old information focuses on the struggles of IRN that become "aggressive" seemingly without reason. However if you really look at the situation, these birds were usually over handled. Young birds accept more touch, because they would be dependant on mum and dad. But once an IRN reaches maturity this touch becomes confusing since it is sexual, and this misunderstanding may make the bird frustrated, eventually leading to biting. Humans have called this "bluffing" but this is a flawed term. The truth is that an adult parrot is an independent being who doesn't always want to be fondled. If you offer intellectual enrichment and respect your IRN's personal boundaries, this problem will not exist. I have never had an issue with my plumhead ever. Touch is seriously overrated and probably the leading cause of issues with Asiatic parrots including hand fear, frustration and a non existent friendship. Asiatic parrots respond best to respect and complete honesty.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Silver sage aviary has many articles here is one

clarousel

I have been busy at work, but have been meaning to respond :)

IRN are going to be different than Preeno. In terms of reading material, there is a lot of old and misleading information online about IRN. IRN and most Asiatic parrots (Psittaculas) do not allopreen as South American, some African or Australian birds do. This means that they generally do not require help with pin feathers. Online, especially on YouTube, it is easy to find people who are stroking, petting or scritching their IRN. However it is important to understand that touch is sexual for them, it is usually only bonded pairs who touch each others' heads/bodies. I have a plumhead parrot, and although he isn't an IRN, they have similar body language and behaviours. I never touch my plumhead, except his feet when he is stepping up, or his beak when I give him a treat or when he insists on 'kissing' me. I think respecting an IRN's personal bubble is key to developing a trusting friendship that isn't based on courting. They are highly intelligent birds and you can give them very complex foraging toys and activities. The more you enrich their environment and allow them the space to play the better your friendship will become. Being more hands off doesn't mean you aren't interacting. I find my plumhead to be very engaged in my life. He likes to always be in my line of sight even if he isn't directly on me. He follows me from room to room but usually goes to his play stands. That is until he wants to treat or snackies, then he lands on my key board and starts tossing things off my desk, cheeky boy!

IRN will require a wide range of fresh veggies and fruits in addition to pellets and some seeds. Fresh produce is an important part of their health. IRN also require regular baths. You will probably learn to read when your bird wants them. My plumhead is very good at informing me when he wants a shower.

The best bit of reading that I think can prepare you for an IRN is related to the myth of bluffing (linked below this paragraph). A lot of old information focuses on the struggles of IRN that become "aggressive" seemingly without reason. However if you really look at the situation, these birds were usually over handled. Young birds accept more touch, because they would be dependant on mum and dad. But once an IRN reaches maturity this touch becomes confusing since it is sexual, and this misunderstanding may make the bird frustrated, eventually leading to biting. Humans have called this "bluffing" but this is a flawed term. The truth is that an adult parrot is an independent being who doesn't always want to be fondled. If you offer intellectual enrichment and respect your IRN's personal boundaries, this problem will not exist. I have never had an issue with my plumhead ever. Touch is seriously overrated and probably the leading cause of issues with Asiatic parrots including hand fear, frustration and a non existent friendship. Asiatic parrots respond best to respect and complete honesty.

Thanks for this!!! I've read that article previously and it's so enlightening :)

My budgies are kinda hands offish now so I get the not being able to give scritches. I do miss it but like you said, it really isn't the end of the world for your relationship with your bird!

They sound very exciting in terms of the toys I could offer and everything my budgies aren't haha.

I read that they need to be handled daily if not they could become aggressive towards you? I could probably offer short daily training sessions with my schedule. I just need to figure out how to handle out of cage times for the budgies and an IRN.

Are IRNs aggressive towards other smaller birds? Also my husband is worried the budgies will get jealous of the IRN but I think with equal amounts of attention given they would be okay?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks for this!!! I've read that article previously and it's so enlightening :)

My budgies are kinda hands offish now so I get the not being able to give scritches. I do miss it but like you said, it really isn't the end of the world for your relationship with your bird!

They sound very exciting in terms of the toys I could offer and everything my budgies aren't haha.

I read that they need to be handled daily if not they could become aggressive towards you? I could probably offer short daily training sessions with my schedule. I just need to figure out how to handle out of cage times for the budgies and an IRN.

Are IRNs aggressive towards other smaller birds? Also my husband is worried the budgies will get jealous of the IRN but I think with equal amounts of attention given they would be okay?
If you interact positively with your IRN daily likely things will be alright. You do need to provide them with lots of opportunities to exercise and to problem solve. A bored bird is more likely to develop issues. You are basically going to adopt a toddler who will need mental stimulation for the next 30 years. It is a big commitment.

In terms of agression to humans, I would take that all with a grain of salt. Like I mentioned earlier there are misunderstanding in IRN body language that have led to incorrect myths about them. In my opinion their gregarious nature is very positive. They like being social and are normally welcoming to everyone. (If I compare them to my parrotlets, they aren't agressive at all.)

You will need to keep your species seperate in my opinion. In a very large aviary they may get along but in a home the beak size is radically different.

Do you have space to build an aviary in your home either for the budgies or the IRN? That way everyone can get what they need even if it isn't their turn out.

clarousel

If you interact positively with your IRN daily likely things will be alright. You do need to provide them with lots of opportunities to exercise and to problem solve. A bored bird is more likely to develop issues. You are basically going to adopt a toddler who will need mental stimulation for the next 30 years. It is a big commitment.

In terms of agression to humans, I would take that all with a grain of salt. Like I mentioned earlier there are misunderstanding in IRN body language that have led to incorrect myths about them. In my opinion their gregarious nature is very positive. They like being social and are normally welcoming to everyone. (If I compare them to my parrotlets, they aren't agressive at all.)

You will need to keep your species seperate in my opinion. In a very large aviary they may get along but in a home the beak size is radically different.

Do you have space to build an aviary in your home either for the budgies or the IRN? That way everyone can get what they need even if it isn't their turn out.
Would problem solving involve more difficult toys and training?

I won't have space for an aviary so I'm thinking having a schedule of letting the birds out at different times. If we do move to the UK there could be a possibility of putting/letting them out in different rooms. Would it be okay having them in the same space but of course different cages?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Would problem solving involve more difficult toys and training?

I won't have space for an aviary so I'm thinking having a schedule of letting the birds out at different times. If we do move to the UK there could be a possibility of putting/letting them out in different rooms. Would it be okay having them in the same space but of course different cages?
To you first question yes! They are smart birdies :)

Before you consider adding to your flock look at the relocation laws. Could you bring your birds back to your home country if you move now but decide to go back later? I have a parrot who lives in the US with my partner's mother because the laws were changed and we were no longer able to bring her to Australia :( so I would check those details before you plan your next choice.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Before you consider adding to your flock look at the relocation laws. Could you bring your birds back to your home country if you move
Bringing birds into the UK from outside the EU is worth looking into some countrys you are not able to bring birds from.