• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New parrotlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjn8181966

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
I bought a Pacific blue male parrotlet on 6/10/10 to replace my cockatiel that died on 6/5/10. Dumbledore (my new parrotlet) was hatched on 4/25/10. Dumbledore does not want to have anything to do with toys or swing on his swing and is biting me. He will sit on my finger and shoulder and will let me touch him some. Some of Dumbledore's biting is due to him not knowing me yet but not all of it is because he will bite my neck and other nonthreatening areas of my body. Merlin (my cockatiel that died), never did much biting. When I first got Merlin and when he didn't want to be fiddled with, he would just walk/fly away from me. Merlin was also interested in toys from the first day that I got him. How to I stop Dumbledore's biting? Is it normal for Dumbledore not to be interested in toys and swing? I really loved watching Merlin play with his toys and swinging on his swing so I hope this is just a temporary thing. And yes, I love fantasy. Hence the names of wizards.

Last edited:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Congrats on your new Parrotlet. Just give him time and I'm sure he'll settle in and play with his toys.
Dealing with bites is part of being a Parrotlet owner.:D It's just what they do.:lol: But you still can't help but love them to pieces.
Good Luck with Dumbledore.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Sara,

First of all, your parrotlet is new, and you need to build trust with him before handling him very much; otherwise, he will become frightened and may bite. For a few days, just sit by his cage, talk softly to him, offer him a little millet from your fingers. Remember, parrot time and human time are not the same. A day may seem like an hour or even just a minute to your bird. He needs time. So, don't force him to come out of his cage or step up for you yet. Let him settle in, and when he trusts you more, you can begin training him. Training is very important for parrotlets, because they are not as much of a cuddly species as cockatiels, generally. They are related to the Amazon parrots, and they can be a little more temperamental and territorial than 'tiels.

Parrotlets are fun, active little guys, but you will need to train him carefully how to step up and trust you when he's on you. Be gentle and cautious with him, and this will win you a lovely little friend in the end :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH he is adorable...a real cutie.

I agree with everything that was said...parrotlets are very active strong willed birds, not laid back like cockatiels, so you realy have to work on building that trust. This will come in time as you and he get to know each other. Parrotlets are amazing little birds full of personality, so you are lucky to have one as part of your family.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Ohhhh he's a handsome guy. Bird time and human time are not the same. 4 months human time ="s about 10 minutes bird time. Lots of sweet soft words, slow gentle movements, no direct eye contact, no baseball caps.

Ginger

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Aw, he's gorgeous! I love how so small they are, it makes them so much cuter.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, how adorable!

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
OH he is adorable...a real cutie.

I agree with everything that was said...parrotlets are very active strong willed birds, not laid back like cockatiels, so you realy have to work on building that trust. This will come in time as you and he get to know each other. Parrotlets are amazing little birds full of personality, so you are lucky to have one as part of your family.
Sara, Just like Leslie said. That is how parrotlet's are. When I had my cockatiel she was very laid back. Bodie my parrotlet is not laid back for sure.

Just give him lots of time and loving.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I hate to be a copycat--but that is one adorable new baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.