• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new parrotlet troubles

gravy

Moving in
Real Name
Gracie
Hi, I'm so new here so I apologize if I post this in the wrong forum.. lol. I got a 5-month-old Parrotlet about 5 days ago his name is Bo. The first day was great, he was chatty and loved being on people's shoulders but the next day was totally different. He did not want out of his cage at all, I opted to leave him alone but 2 other family members consistently took him out ignoring the warning signs. This happened for the next few days until I told everyone to just leave him alone in his cage for a little while. Now all he does all day long is sit on his food bowl, or hide behind it on a perch. I leave his door open with millet outside but he doesn't care for it. I leave my hands out of the cage unless I change the food or water or when I try hand feeding him. He does okay when my hand is close enough for him to reach without moving but if it's too far he won't pursue it. I read to him every day and talk to him tell him what I'm doing when I'm reaching in his cage to change his dishes. His cage is in our dining room in a corner, a lot of noise happens sometimes and I'm afraid it might scare him and prolong the process of gaining his trust so I ask everyone to quiet down a little and they don't. I don't have a corner to put his cage in my room either, but I could move him against a wall somewhere. What I'm asking is basically, what should I do in this situation?
This is my first bird ever by the way.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Welcome to the forum!
I have my first parrotlet also. Once they open up they are great birds with personality. I would personally make space in my room for them to stay in if it’s to busy for them. Secondly they are in a strange place and are getting used to their surroundings. So time and patience is going to be very rewarding for the whole family. I’ll tag other members who can better assist

@fashionfobie @finchly

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is in a new place and needs to settle in if he doesnt want to come out of his cage he should be left in his cage where he feels safe and secure. You had a good start with him but family members forcing him to leave the cage when he wanted to stay in there has put things back significantly.
You have lost his trust and will have to all work on regaining it take things slowly and dont overwhelm him.

I would suggest keeping his door closed this will make him feel more secure allow him to spend time in his cage with the only time hands are in the cage is cleaning and feeding.

Dont rush him patience will pay of long term

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
This is unfortunate, but it sounds like your family is now respecting your request that other people stop handling him. So, that's a start.

If it isn't realistic to have his cage in a corner, you can use fabric to cover part of the cage so he can go there when he wants to, or possibly put a screen at one end of the cage, again, to create a bit of a safe space.

While it'd be nice if everyone would use their indoor voices to give Bo a chance to relax, when we live with other people we don't always get to control their behavior. I don't live with other people, but sometimes scary things happen and my birds get spooked (Esmerelda sometimes can't figure out how to get out of her travel cage and then there's a major freak out because she's *stuck* (she isn't really stuck)). I find just talking calmly to them helps them realize if I don't sound upset it probably isn't that bad (and then I usually put a millet spray over the entrance to the cage so Esme sees how to get out). And then we all breathe a huge sigh of relief.

As others have said, go slow, and gradually you'll rebuild trust.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I don't live with other people, but sometimes scary things happen and my birds get spooked
I must agree with this. My girl is out most of the day and I have a tree stand near a window and something happened outside (I live on a second floor) and she flew off as if she was spooked by something.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Congrats on your first bird!! And yes, this is the perfect forum for ANYTHING bird-related:D where is the place you think your bird will be most comfortable? Learning a birds body language is very important, because it can be very helpful on telling how your bird is feeling. Your doing good on reading and talking to your bird. It may take some time to regain trust with your birdie, but you'll get there with enough gentleness, patience and consistancy!

gravy

Moving in
Real Name
Gracie
Congrats on your first bird!! And yes, this is the perfect forum for ANYTHING bird-related:D where is the place you think your bird will be most comfortable? Learning a birds body language is very important, because it can be very helpful on telling how your bird is feeling. Your doing good on reading and talking to your bird. It may take some time to regain trust with your birdie, but you'll get there with enough gentleness, patience and consistancy!
I moved some things around to move the bird cage in. New process all over again but it’ll be worth it. He allows me to hand feed him seeds now :D

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
That's awesome!! I'm so happy your advancing with your birdie!!