• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Parrot mom, lots of questions.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yes I agree, I believe he needs more room. I'm looking into getting him a big cage soon. I'm worried about changing his home of 20+ years and that it might not go well. I only want what is best for him and I know I have to introduce new things to him slowly.
He should have a bigger cage if you can but Nerd bird lived in a 19x19 cage his whole life and was happy. It was his home he'd always known and when we were home he was free ranging till he put himself to bed when he was ready.
When he left us I got Lurch and he was a Pionus as well and he adjusted to the tiny cage just fine and also claimed it as his own. When I got him a much larger cage he was happy and his cage aggression almost went away as he had to start from square one which made it much easier to change his food and water as he stopped trying to defend them. I left the old cage assembled and out of the way though and he liked going over to sit on it and hang out like visiting a old friend.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Try elle and the birds she has great videos on bird care. I`m going to list some stuff.
  • Pellets and chop as diet, seeds and millet as treats.
  • flight cage, with plenty of time outside.
  • Natural perches
  • If you notice chewing on the rope perches, take out right away
  • no avocado, coffee chocolate, or alcohol (or sugar)
  • no Teflon cookware
  • SS food bowls
  • plenty of foraging toy and shredding toys (Bird kabob is a must.)
heres an amazon list for everything you need

TREAT LIKE YOUR CHILD! they demand as much attention as a two year old.
Enjoy having a bird and have patience, everything takes time. I Have owned birds for a long time, and I am still learning new things each day. :budgie2: