• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner of a Budgie -Need help!

204Neptune

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
Hey!
I got a female Budgie, she is 8 months old.
She hasn't eaten or drank and she is very quiet.
I got her about 20 hours ago.
Is this ok?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
New birds are often scared. You can try covering her cage on three sides just leaving the front open so she doesn't have to be on alert for "danger" on all 4 sides. You can also play some music or some budgie noise videos for her. (They do have them on youtube. I temporarily had a scared budgie at my house for a day and did that.) Do you see droppings on the bottom of the cage? If so, she's eating and drinking just maybe not when you're watching as a bird has to let its guard down to eat and drink. And, are you feeding the same food that she's used to eating and letting her drink out of a similar water container as she's used to? Is it somewhere where she can easily can to it? You can try giving her some millet spray too.

new parrot 3.jpg

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
Where the bird come from? Pet store or breeder?
What foods/treats do you have?
Any other pets around?
Is the place noisy or quiet?
What is the cubic depth of the Atlantic Ocean.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
I collected a lot of websites trying to learn all I can when I first got this chirpy bird. Over a year and still learning.
I just posted here about food I feed him: Questions about my budgie.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Have you tried leaving the bird alone with water & millet?

204Neptune

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
Where the bird come from? Pet store or breeder?
What foods/treats do you have?
Any other pets around?
Is the place noisy or quiet?
What is the cubic depth of the Atlantic Ocean.
She came from a breeder.
I do have a little dog but the dog and her haven't met yet.
The room she is in the in my room so it is pretty quiet.
I give her gourmet and millet and veggies she has started eating and drinking.
But she is still very quiet.

204Neptune

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
Hey!
Is this ok?
Update about my budgie!
She has started to eat and drink and explore her cage, but she is still a shy of me and still quiet. (Day 3)

PamelaJo

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey!
Is this ok?
Also as a young baby, she needs to bond with something. This should be you. Take time to hold her and talk to her very gently.
If you have a small soft feather blanket (gently wrap her in it) this helps to make her feel secure. If u have a hammock in her cage, line it with the soft blanket u use to hold her in.
Try and do this twice a day. She should start bonding within a week. You'll see a different bird, remember when parrots bond they look at you as a mother or as a mate figure. The bond is awesome. My parrot is very protective of me.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
Update about my budgie!
She has started to eat and drink and explore her cage, but she is still a shy of me and still quiet. (Day 3)
Sounds like typical budgie behavior. But definitely feed her millet from your hand. Thats the easiest way to get your budgie to trust you.

204Neptune

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
Also as a young baby, she needs to bond with something. This should be you. Take time to hold her and talk to her very gently.
If you have a small soft feather blanket (gently wrap her in it) this helps to make her feel secure. If u have a hammock in her cage, line it with the soft blanket u use to hold her in.
Try and do this twice a day. She should start bonding within a week. You'll see a different bird, remember when parrots bond they look at you as a mother or as a mate figure. The bond is awesome. My parrot is very protective of me.
Thank you so much for the tip! I will try to do this! :)