• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner of a baby ekkie. Have questions

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I have just got a baby ekkie a few days ago from our pet store. Only around 6 weeks old and the sweetest little thing ever. I have experience with other birds like cockatiels, conures, ring necks and African Grey's but I don't think I realised how different it is to raising an ekkie baby until now.

I feel a bit overwhelmed at times because even though I've hand reared a few birds in the past, the experience with my baby ekkie has been completely different and that just freaks me out.

She is very sensitive and afraid. We try to spend time with her to show her we are here to love and care. She is still a bit hesitant now and again but seems she is slowly getting used to it.

The feed that the store owner was giving was between 40-60ml twice a day with a syringe. Since I have gotten her, she hasn't been wanting me to feed her. I am able to get a max of about 30ml down every 4 hours. I have read that it's very stressful for baby ekkies to be hand reared by different people, not sure how true this is.

She also spends a lot of time in the same/similar spot, doesn't move around too much or try to investigate her cage.

Just really wondering if I'm doing anything right. We had done research on the bird but there is a very scarce amount of information I can find on caring for baby ekkies.

Thanks!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have also heard that eclectus babies are sensitive to different handfeeders; I've heard that they're hard to handfeed, period, in that they don't eat vigorously like other psittacines. Have you matched the formula, temperature, and consistency that the store fed?

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I have also tried feeding her with a spoon and she doesn't want to eat that either. Also just got some pellets for her. Hopefully she will start investigating when she is hungry.

For the formula, I got the exact same one the store used, as for temperature, usually between 38 - 41°C. I'm not sure about the consistency, I will need to check with the store how they were making it. I have been adding a little extra water as I've noticed she's been straining herself when trying to do her business.

She has started being more active now that I have introduced my conure from far. She has since started making sounds and trying to climb.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My first baby is coming. This will be my first hand feeding for one of them so I don't have any direct experience yet. From what others have told me, Eclectus don't have a vigorous feeding response like other parrots do and they have a small crop so they need to eat more often. They also do not take well to a change of hand feeders; if they reject you, you may have to force-feed them. I'm nervous about this one because it's a first for me so it will be a learning experience for us both.

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
My first baby is coming. This will be my first hand feeding for one of them so I don't have any direct experience yet. From what others have told me, Eclectus don't have a vigorous feeding response like other parrots do and they have a small crop so they need to eat more often. They also do not take well to a change of hand feeders; if they reject you, you may have to force-feed them. I'm nervous about this one because it's a first for me so it will be a learning experience for us both.
Awesome thanks look forward to hearing how it goes! It's been nerve wrecking for me too. My little one does eat when she feels the formula coming out of the syringe but getting it in her mouth is a problem. How will you be feeding your baby?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome thanks look forward to hearing how it goes! It's been nerve wrecking for me too. My little one does eat when she feels the formula coming out of the syringe but getting it in her mouth is a problem. How will you be feeding your baby?
I’ll be using a small syringe to start with. I usually dip it in hot water and touch the side of the beak when I offer the food. It usually stimulated a feeding response. I hear these guys are different so I’m not sure how this will go yet.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This talked ekkies babies, and different species I found it helpful in the past

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have just got a baby ekkie a few days ago from our pet store. Only around 6 weeks old and the sweetest little thing ever. I have experience with other birds like cockatiels, conures, ring necks and African Grey's but I don't think I realised how different it is to raising an ekkie baby until now.

I feel a bit overwhelmed at times because even though I've hand reared a few birds in the past, the experience with my baby ekkie has been completely different and that just freaks me out.

She is very sensitive and afraid. We try to spend time with her to show her we are here to love and care. She is still a bit hesitant now and again but seems she is slowly getting used to it.

The feed that the store owner was giving was between 40-60ml twice a day with a syringe. Since I have gotten her, she hasn't been wanting me to feed her. I am able to get a max of about 30ml down every 4 hours. I have read that it's very stressful for baby ekkies to be hand reared by different people, not sure how true this is.

She also spends a lot of time in the same/similar spot, doesn't move around too much or try to investigate her cage.

Just really wondering if I'm doing anything right. We had done research on the bird but there is a very scarce amount of information I can find on caring for baby ekkies.

Thanks!
I was tagged so here’s my response:

The store absolutely sold the baby too young… but given you have her I am asking if the at the least the employee who fed the babies demonstrated to you how they fed her ( as in an actual feeding) and at another time before you left with her had you feed her to build your confidence as well as observe whether or not you would be able to give her the feedings she needs. If not they should have but you can always call and explain your issues and ask if the feeder prior to you can go through a feeding in person with you and the baby. They should be happy you ask for this help. I am not familiar with Ekkies having difficulty transitioning to a new face for feedings but do know most species are going to balk at feedings from a new person… especially when their eyes are open and they don’t recognize you. It helps tremendously if you feed in low light … but enough that you can see what you are doing. Lastly… I see you are keeping her in a cage. Is this far different from what she was kept in at the store? What is the temperature in your home or where you are keeping her? @BrianB. What temperature should this chick be kept at for the current age and if you were to change environment would you replicate the store or suggest a bin with bedding? Personally I see the cage as inappropriate for this youngster as it may not offer security as it had before at the store.

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
This is the reality of the pet trade in SA. It's very common to sell pets young, before weaning/vaccinations or any extra care that costs the store. The idea is the earlier they sell them, the more money they make.

The store did not demonstrate a feeding, she was fed before I picked her up. I was comfortable without it, having done this with other birds.

Someone on this forum asked about consistency of the formula and so I did call the store and ask my questions. It seems the store had only just gotten her a few days ago from a breeder and had some troubles feeding her too. It became evident as Luna had chunks of dry formula stuck all over her. This brings into question how much of the 45-60ml was actually being fed and how much was being wasted?
Oh and she was kept in a storage bin in the store with sawdust/wood shavings.

Luna is growing so much, she's been eating some solids and doesn't refuse her formula much anymore. She's getting used to the routine. She's very happy, noisy, inquisitive and everything a little bird should be.

She's kept in a room with a oil heater which I run most of the day (makes use of a timer so it never gets too hot) as it's currently winter in this part of the world. No exact temperature.

Thanks @Mockinbirdiva for the advice.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Growing well. Coming out of the nest box tomorrow. My last clutch of greys are about to go home so I’ll have time to focus on this little one until the other babies start to arrive.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
This is the reality of the pet trade in SA. It's very common to sell pets young, before weaning/vaccinations or any extra care that costs the store. The idea is the earlier they sell them, the more money they make.

The store did not demonstrate a feeding, she was fed before I picked her up. I was comfortable without it, having done this with other birds.

Someone on this forum asked about consistency of the formula and so I did call the store and ask my questions. It seems the store had only just gotten her a few days ago from a breeder and had some troubles feeding her too. It became evident as Luna had chunks of dry formula stuck all over her. This brings into question how much of the 45-60ml was actually being fed and how much was being wasted?
Oh and she was kept in a storage bin in the store with sawdust/wood shavings.

Luna is growing so much, she's been eating some solids and doesn't refuse her formula much anymore. She's getting used to the routine. She's very happy, noisy, inquisitive and everything a little bird should be.

She's kept in a room with a oil heater which I run most of the day (makes use of a timer so it never gets too hot) as it's currently winter in this part of the world. No exact temperature.

Thanks @Mockinbirdiva for the advice.
It sounds like things are going better. Good for you for persevering. If I had to guess she was probably pulled from the nest by the breeder and the pet store was the first to handfed her. Handfeeding is very different than parent feeding. If she really had not been handfeed until now you are very lucky she is taking formula now. If she is gaining weight then she is likely getting enough to eat.

Here is a video that I made, that explains the basics of handfeeding. You might find it helpful.

Good luck with your baby :)

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Awesome st
It sounds like things are going better. Good for you for persevering. If I had to guess she was probably pulled from the nest by the breeder and the pet store was the first to handfed her. Handfeeding is very different than parent feeding. If she really had not been handfeed until now you are very lucky she is taking formula now. If she is gaining weight then she is likely getting enough to eat.

Here is a video that I made, that explains the basics of handfeeding. You might find it helpful.

Thanks, parts of this was really helpful!

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Hi everyone, looking for some advice. Luna has been on a mission to explore her cage. She has chipped a small piece of her beak. The area around it is a bit sensitive for her which is now making her feeding slightly more difficult. Is there anything I should be doing or just let it heal naturally? It's a small piece on the bottom of her beak. Thanks again! 1000084987.jpg