• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Little Buddy

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
This is my new friend, Craig! He was hatched in November 2015. He's not quite hand friendly, but he has started eating hand-offered food and tolerates hands in his cage quite well. He lived for a few months with revolving groups of baby cockatiels, his sister was sold, and they even supposedly lowered his price with no interest. A very skilled male singing canary was caged nearby, so he has a lovely canary song mixed with some cockatiel peeps and his own beeps and whistles along with finch beeping as they were also housed close to his tank. After seeing him there for a couple months, I brought him home.

This is his first time in a cage. I'm using a Prevue Hendryx Madison (20w x 20d x 28h). I was tempted to buy a flight cage, but he took to the height of this cage quite well and enjoys jumping around on the taller perches. I have been eyeing the Prevue Hendryx slant roof cage (25w x 21d x 22h) I've added just 4 or 5 toys to see how he takes to them. He's using all parts of the cage which is fantastic. He's on cockatiel mix and millet which is what he was fed at the shop. I've added a separate bowl of canary seed as well.

If any of you have suggestions for cage or diet, I'm open to hearing them. I'm woefully under-informed about grasskeet diets, and am going off of shop suggestions as well as what I've come across on the web. This includes suggestions on what fresh foods to add to his diet.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
He is a beautiful boy, did you by chance get him from Gallery of Pets in Austin?
I ask because my wife and I were there a week ago and seen a young bird that looks like him and he was adorable.
I dont have advice on grasskeet diets, but im sure someone will come along with help :)

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Beautiful bird... he is a lucky one to have such a wonderful Parront to care for him! Gratz :heart:

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
He is a beautiful boy, did you by chance get him from Gallery of Pets in Austin?
I ask because my wife and I were there a week ago and seen a young bird that looks like him and he was adorable.
I dont have advice on grasskeet diets, but im sure someone will come along with help :)

I most assuredly did! My boyfriend also has two birds that were on consignment there. We adore that place!

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
It is nice that there are unique traits to him in that he has other bird sounds because of the company of other birds. Congrats to taking him in. He's a pretty little bird, and that's a nice cage.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pretty little guy. Sorry I can't help with his diet.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
He's a handsome little guy! :heart:
Congrats!

I can't be of much help with his diet, but I'm sure someone will be able too soon.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Yes we love going there too, he was friendly to us when we were there. He really stood out being with those tiels, is how I remember him.
Congrats and good luck with him :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's adorable! @Monica may have some dietary advice?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What a cutie :)

L

Lynn96

I had a bourke and as for diet I believe their not very picky eaters as mine wanted anything I had. I let her have fruits and veggies along with budgie seed. As for cages, bourkes typically like long cages rather then tall. They love to fly back and forth. Mine also loved to run! Yes, she would run all over the floor and try her best not to be caught. I hope you enjoy your bourke they really are great pets.:) He's very beautiful.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
He is gorgeous! Congratulations! :)

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I had a bourke and as for diet I believe their not very picky eaters as mine wanted anything I had. I let her have fruits and veggies along with budgie seed. As for cages, bourkes typically like long cages rather then tall. They love to fly back and forth. Mine also loved to run! Yes, she would run all over the floor and try her best not to be caught. I hope you enjoy your bourke they really are great pets.:) He's very beautiful.

I feed pellet diets to everyone else and had queried about changing to Roudybush crumbles. The shop said it probably wouldn't happen, and most of my searches have ended at seed diets with kale and fruits as a fresh option. I'm just so used to only offering seed as a treat.

As far as flight cages, I've definitely started looking into them! I'm so picky about cage doors. His current door makes me rage.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny

I most assuredly did! My boyfriend also has two birds that were on consignment there. We adore that place!
Did he get the Senegal that only likes men "Lucy" she was so adorable.
There was also a yellow nape amazon there for a bit on consignment. I missed out on her by 2 days.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
His colouring is so striking! He's very handsome. Congratulations on your new addition. I hope he continues to settle in well.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on getting Craig. He is very cute!

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Did he get the Senegal that only likes men "Lucy" she was so adorable.
There was also a yellow nape amazon there for a bit on consignment. I missed out on her by 2 days.

He sure as sh*t did. She's so adorable but a complete jerk to me xD

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny

He sure as sh*t did. She's so adorable but a complete jerk to me xD
Oh that is too funny, She is such a sweet bird, if you're a man lol
The first time we seen her she bit my wife, but went nuts when I was near her.
She was there for a long time, I was happy and sad at the same time when I seen she was gone.
I loved going there and playing with her and giving her scritches.