• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here, I need help really bad

BArnold

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, my name is Billie. I have an Amazon Parrot. He is twelve years old, and his name is Colby. I haven't had Colby very long. I don't think the lady that I got Colby from ever took him to the Vet. So I don't have a clue where to find an Avian Vet. I live in Cabot, Arkansas.

I desperately need to take Colby to a Vet today, there is something wrong with him. It's like he can't breathe and then he'll grab the side of the cage with his beak and stand there looking at me not being able to breathe. It's not a continuous attack. It comes and goes it looks like he's having an asthma attack.

So far since 6:30 a.m. today he has had three episodes and I don't know what to do for him. I cannot find an avian vet that is open today. It looks like he completely stops breathing when he has one of these episodes and I don't know what to do for him. His nose looks like there is something black in it and it looks like one of his nostrils was bleeding a little bit.

I am so scared he's going to die. Is there anyone who can refer me to an avian vet in Arkansas that has an emergency clinic?

Thank you in advance f

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Meanwhile you dont you google it.

Rebel

emergency avian vet Cabot, Arkansas

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

BArnold

Meanwhile you dont you google it.
I have googled it. There is one in a town not far away but he doesn't do after hours visit. They referred me to an animal emergency hospital who does not have an Avian Vet. They gave me a phone number to call but it was no longer in service.
I also called the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission. They referred me to U S. Fish & Wildlife but there is no one at the number on the weekends. I have called the local pet stores and they referred me back to the doctor who doesn't take after hours appointments.
There doesn't seem to be very many Avian Vets in Arkansas.

I came here just hoping someone could help
Kind regards,
Billie

BArnold

Little Woods is the Vet I will be using for Colby. I have an appt on the 17th of May for Colby but this is a serious situation that can't wait but I don't have a choice unless I can find won one who treats birds. Little Woods is the vet who referred me to the after hours clinic who doesn't have an avian vet.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have googled it. There is one in a town not far away but he doesn't do after hours visit. They referred me to an animal emergency hospital who does not have an Avian Vet. They gave me a phone number to call but it was no longer in service.
I also called the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission. They referred me to U S. Fish & Wildlife but there is no one at the number on the weekends. I have called the local pet stores and they referred me back to the doctor who doesn't take after hours appointments.
There doesn't seem to be very many Avian Vets in Arkansas.

I came here just hoping someone could help
Kind regards,
Billie

This one isn’t listed as an avian vet, but they do see exotics. Better than nothing! I hope that helps

T. gillii

Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi , sorry you got a new birdie and a scary issue going on.
People here are real friendly, either members above , so I'm sure this was just a miscommunication issue and they are just trying to find vets near you to help.

Excellent advice about being aware of non stick chemicals issue and it can be found in a lot of stuff ... terrible chemicals!

I don't know hats going in with your baby , but definitely something we really can't help with from afar s d sounds serious.
You can private you tube it and link here , we can see if we have any ideas.. this forum doesn't host video directly, you have to link from another source

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello: And :welcomesign:
I really hope you find a vet please keep us updated on your little one positive vibes

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
The OP has not been back, and I think they were offended.
I hope things will be OK for their Amazon.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@BArnold

I googled & didn't find any avian vets or exotic vets. Sadly many emergency pet clinics don't see birds.

Until you can get him to a vet keep him warm. Try steaming up the bathroom & let him set in there a good hour. If you have a humidifier place it in the same room he is in & run it 24/7.

If it were me I'd be at the vet, you plan to use, when they open Monday. Tell them you have an emergency.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@BArnold how is your bird doing now?

If possible catch what is happening on video and share a link.

Meanwhile check there are no air contaminants such as non stick, fragrances, chemicals etc- if possible introduce fresh clean air from outside to your home and see if that offers your bird any relief.

It is hard to say what the problem could be without seeing and knowing more but best to keep your bird warm calm and quiet till you can get to a vet.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site!