• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here! I have a Nanday Conure

Lorial

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lorial
nanday.jpg Hi everyone! I just joined. My name is Lorial.
I have a nanday named Dexter. I rescued him. He was a give up to a bird rescue. The previous owner left no name, sex, age or anything. Just that they couldn't take care of him. I've wanting a bird for a while. I kinda have a small zoo. lol. I have two dogs, a chinchilla and now three birds. My nanday and two finches.
I met Dexter at the place and he was very friendly to me, all though shy, we just fell in love with him. I originally wanted a black headed caique. But instead got the black hooded parakeet (nanday). He's not a typical nanday I guess. Everyone says they're loud and obnoxious and scream a lot. Dexter does his "big boy" squawk maybe once a day or once every other. Mostly he just makes 'duck' noises as we call it. He does things on his own terms but since having him for about four months he's really warmed up and is friendly but timid of strangers. Few times I take him to get his wings and nails trimmed the ladies at a bird store I go to wonder how he is a nanday and behaves so well. We even take him or walks (or rides on me while I walk..) so he can get fresh air. He really enjoys the outside.
I really have no idea how old he is. I feel like he may be between 6-8yrs being how calm but I could be wrong.

I just noticed that he had poopie butt today :/ He is pooping okay, it seems like the color hasn't changed. I feed him pellets (the colored ones that look like runts) and fresh fruits and veggies. Always apples, oranges, broccoli and carrots. I change those up once in a while but we learned his favorites. His only treat from me are organic un salted sunflower seeds.
I cleaned him up with a warm bath but some got stuck and dried in his feathers. I called my bird ladies (they are not a vet just hobby breeders and suppliers. Best place Ive ever seen clean wise and happy and outgoing birds and babies.) asking about shaving those feathers or where can I call. I live in an area where each vet place I called were like "what??" when I asked about a vet specializing in birds. The closest one to me is about 40min away. The ladies said it could be as simple as he sat on a perch wrong and got poop on him or there is something wrong. He seems fine, but I know birds don't show anything.
Before I make a 40min trip I was just wondering if there is anything I can do (herb wise or buy) or what any one has an opinion on what could've done that. I was at work and just got home and checked up underneath and it seems cleaner... I don't know if he took care of it or what... He's a little grumpy at me because I was washing his butt but its cleaner then when I left him.
I still will call, but sometimes (I do chinchilla forums and pages) I like to learn and hear from other owners before I make a 200$ trip that could be something I don't need to do because its nothing serious. I still probably will need to take him so they can shave/clean properly that area, but I wanted to see what I can learn from on here too!
Thank you!!
Lorial and Dexter! :)

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi Lorial and Dexter, Welcome! Dexter is so handsome and I'm so glad he found his way into your heart and home. Sounds like he is fitting into you 'zoo' quite nicely. Is this the first time Dexter has had a poopy butt? I, personally, would keep an eye on his poops and call the vet. Even if it turns out to be nothing, it's always better to get established at a vet before an emergency happens. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
:welave: and enjoy the site. My advice is where you are not sure regarding Dexter's health make an appointment with an Avian Vet to have Dexter assessed. ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hi! Welcome to the forum. Dexter is a cutie. I agree with the vet check suggestions.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Welcome..and Dexter sure is a cutie pie...an avian vet 40 minutes away is actually very close..ours is well over an hour and I know of other people who travel 2=3 hours to get to a vet. I would have him checked o ut to be sure.

Lorial

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lorial
Thank you!! Yeah it's the first time. Ill call tomorrow morning. I was just curious of any idea that can cause it or anything that can be done. Wish they could tell us how they're really feeling.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I love Nandays. Welcome to AA.

I agree a vet visit is in order. 40 minutes to an avian vet is actually pretty lucky :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. I have to travel about 1 hour to the birdie vet and he is not board certified but has as avian interest and owns a bird himself.

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Welcome!