• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
We welcomed a new guinea pig to our house this past weekend. She's just a baby and absolutely sweet. I don't think I've ever met a guinea pig as sweet as she is. She doesn't squirm when being held, she comes when you put your hand in her cage, and she falls asleep when being held. This is Pam:

We also have two other guinea pigs, Sadie and Prudence. We had another, Camo, who died a few months ago. Pam will hopefully help fill the void in the pig cage that Camo left (after quarantine and growing a bit first). Here is a picture of Prudence and Sadie (L to R: Sadie, Prudence, Camo's butt):

Just thought you all would like to see the piggies. :D

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
:omg: Pam! That is the cutest name for the cutest little piggie!

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: they're adorable :hug8:
How would you describe owning a little piggie? :p I've never had one before...

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
:omg: Pam! That is the cutest name for the cutest little piggie!
Thank you! I fell in love with her almost immediately. :heart:
:hug8: they're adorable :hug8:
How would you describe owning a little piggie? :p I've never had one before...
Thanks. :D How would I describe owning a guinea pig? That's hard. I don't remember life before having guinea pigs. :rolleyes: Just kidding, I do. Though not much because I've had pigs since I was about 7 or 8, but had a period of about 6 years when I didn't have any. Never again!

Anyway...describing it. I hope you are prepared for a long response. ;) If you've ever had a hamster, guinea pigs are like 10x better. They are way, way nicer than hamsters. When I worked at Petsmart, I always recommended them as a first pet rather than a hamster. They very rarely bite. They aren't usually very demanding. Prudence and Sadie demand vegetables whenever they hear a plastic bag. Those two have four things in life they want to have all the time--pellets, hay, water, and vegetables. If they don't have pellets, hay, or water, they will wheek-wheek-wheek at you getting louder and louder until you give them what they want. If they haven't been fed their veggies yet, they will do the same for those.

They are a lot of fun to have around, and, like any animal, they each have their own personalities. Prudence is much more outgoing than Sadie. Sadie doesn't care too much for being held and will run around in the cage trying to evade being picked up. As long as I'm not trying to catch her, she's fine. I can pet her and she won't run, and as soon as I have her out of her cage, she's fine. Prudence, on the other hand, doesn't usually put up a fight when I get her out. Pam, I'm learning, comes to me when I open her cage and loves to be held. Of course, she's still a baby and that may change.

I've discovered that owning guinea pigs and birds at the same time works out beautifully. If I see a vegetable or fruit I want to try feeding to the birds and get it only to have it rejected by the birds, the guinea pigs will usually happily eat it. Very few vegetables or fruits gets wasted here.

They are great little animals to have around. They are social but as long as you have more than one, they aren't demanding for attention from their humans (at least, none of the ones I have had have done that). But, while they don't demand attention, they willingly receive it. In my opinion, they are the perfect small mammal for pets. :D I love my piggies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Adorable..congrats!:)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I love piggies!! :cheer:

adorable!!!

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
They sound as nice as they are cute, thanks :hug8:

crystaljam

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Oh Pam is a cutie! Look how tiny she is right now :) I can hear her "Ree Ree" squeal right now!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are very cute!

Matt

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What beautiful piggies you have. Big congrats on the new baby! :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwwww look at those ad orable little faces and congratulations on the new one...awww

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
They are all so cute! Pam welcome home :)

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Thanks for all the compliments and congrats! :)

Oh Pam is a cutie! Look how tiny she is right now :) I can hear her "Ree Ree" squeal right now!
She is tiny. That was part of what attracted me to her. She was just so tiny. Smaller than any other baby pigs I've brought home. She weighs a mere 282 grams (compared to Sadie who weighs 1243 grams).

Congrats! and Great description of life with pigs!

chad
I'm glad you liked my description. I feel I left things out. It's a hard thing to describe in just one forum post.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wow..we kept them as kids. I don't think I was a very good pig keeper.:sad1: I don't recall giving them veggies.:(

carlottalyn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Aww she's a cutie!! I miss my piggies...I had the cutest little guy named Toby when I was younger, he looked like your new girl but was an abby...sooo sweet. I loved their little noises. :D Enjoy her!!

Status
Not open for further replies.