• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
We are getting some new furniture tomorrow and I knwo the fumes they release can be harmful to birds. So how long do they need to air out before I can have Lucy around them?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No one really knows how long for sure. Can you leave the furniture outside in a carport or garage for a few days. You can call the manafacturer to find out how long it off-gases. You can also read the manfacturers safety data sheet to find out what the VOCs are.

formaldehyde may be one of the VOCs.
ML

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
I called the store we are getting them from and the couch is there floor model so that one should be ok. And they weren't sure about the chairs so I am going to need to call the manufacturer. I cant leave them outside it is supposed to be raining tomorrow and may be able to leave it in the garage just a bit worried we have had a brown recluse problem around the house this fall. Thanks for the suggestions Mary Lynn.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
We are getting some new furniture tomorrow and I knwo the fumes they release can be harmful to birds. So how long do they need to air out before I can have Lucy around them?
Did you order any fabric protection like Scotchgard or Teflon? That would require airing out for sure.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
No we didnt. They deliverd it today and they said they had all been uncovered since they arrived to there store and that was Thursday so I do feel better. I am still leaving the windows cracked fans on doors shut and air filters on just to be sure I am just a paranoid parront.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
No we didnt. They deliverd it today and they said they had all been uncovered since they arrived to there store and that was Thursday so I do feel better. I am still leaving the windows cracked fans on doors shut and air filters on just to be sure I am just a paranoid parront.
:hug8:

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
I wouldn't call it paranoid, just loving, caring and wonderful parront. :D

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Just out of curiosity now I want to see the new furniture.

We sooo need a new couch!

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Just out of curiosity now I want to see the new furniture.

We sooo need a new couch!
You will have to wait for some pictures of it my battery died today when I was taking some pictures:D

And we were in desperate need of a new couch I actually could use it I was allergic to something in it. I would break out in hives when ever I touched for much longer then a minute it was so odd and then Lucy recently decided to leave her mark on it my chewing on the fabric. The little brat:hehe:

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Our new furniture looked new for about 4 months!! then the birds got at it..ugggghhhh..I need new dining chairs...but why bother lol..

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Very nice, I think that couch would make a great bed for me :):)

It looks sooo comfy! :D

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Our new furniture looked new for about 4 months!! then the birds got at it..ugggghhhh..I need new dining chairs...but why bother lol..
We are going to try and keep it new as long as possible but it is kind of hard when you have all the different animals around the house that I do. Lucy is too stubborn to listen, our schnauzer is to new to listen and the iguana doesnt listen period so it is just a matter of time before they get to it.
Very nice, I think that couch would make a great bed for me :):)

It looks sooo comfy! :D
It is I love it! It is overstuffed and comfy. I have already fallen asleep on it 2 nights now as I was writing a paper.:eek::hehe:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
It looks like it might wrap me up all snuggly and I would pass out on it :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
They look lovely and comfy. Mine are all under covers that get washed on a regular basis, wonder why?:rofl:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh I love the new furniture! Looks so comfy!

Our furniture usually stays looking nice (exept with my cat who did some scratching). As long as I give the birds something to chew on, they leave it alone. I got five new bar stools for my new kitchen...when Nani is on the loose, I pull them away from the counters and she can't jump to them....

It's fun to get new things and even better if you can keep them new looking longer! lol Good luck with that!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Leslie do your dogs go on the furniture?

I gave up on that also, as long as there is someplace for me to sit they can sit on the couch.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
They used to a lot...now Coco can't make it up there. :( Funny you ask because right now Roxi is on the sectional with me! lol She rarely comes
up here even though she is allowed.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
lol

That is funny, Roxi wanted a little extra cushion today :)

My old lady dog does have a hard time getting up on the couch these days also, she likes to hog the entire couch once she manages to get up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.