• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new eclectus owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

applejack

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lindsay
Hello! My husband and I just purchased a baby SI Eclectus male. He's still being handfed, so we won't be able to take him home until September, but we go see him about three or four times a week and so far he's the sweetest thing! We're so excited for him to come home with us.

I do have a question, though; we have three dogs, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the best way (or ways) to introduce the bird to the dogs. We want them to coexist as peacefully as possible. Any advice? Our dogs are very low-energy (lol they're typical mastiffs- they sleep all day) and extremely tolerant, but I know that they will be curious about the bird, and I want to make sure that they don't scare him.

Also, in terms of cage placement; we were thinking of putting his cage in our office (I'm in there fairly often, doing school work) and then having a playgym in the living room, so he can be out with us when we're watching TV or doing whatever during the day/evening. Does this sound acceptable?

Thanks so much! I'm really enjoying this message board! A lot of good information so far!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
The cage idea sounds good I like to keep ralphies cage in a room where people come and go but its not crowded all the time then his play stand is in my living room (right next to me currently haha).

As for the dogs, when you get the bird home I'd give him a few days to adjust without the dogs being in his face. Then as he begins to trust you try taking him to different rooms in the house for a few min at a time just to see everything and then once he's calmed down maybe let him sit on the playstand so he can see the dogs but isn't close enough to be bothered by them. That's what I did with my dogs and although one dog got in trouble for harassing him in his cage (bird hunting dog so what do you expect) they don't bother him at all now. I could leave him on the floor and not worry about it (although I won't take that risk, I know if he flutters down I don't have to worry

Julsiebean

Real Name
Julie
I have no advice just wanted to say I am so jealous!! I hope to have a male SI or grand someday. Does he have a name??

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome!!!!! and congrats on your new baby...I also would give him some time to adjust without the dogs in his face..also please note he will view the dogs as predators...you must never, ever leave them alone together unsupervised...one scratch and the birdie could die...so please be very careful.

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay
Oh definitely, I would never leave them alone together. We have a small child and I don't leave her alone with the dogs either...they are animals, and you can never 100% trust them, no matter what. The dogs are crate-trained so when we are not around, they are in their crates, so they would never have unfettered access to the bird. I just want them to all be okay when we are out supervising everybody.

thanks so much for the advice!

Grammy

Real Name
Pat
Hi. Welcome and congratulations!! We have many happy ekkie companions on this board (including me!) I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with your new guy. I recommend you post questions or comments about your eclectus on Eclectus Alley where they will be more likely to be seen by the right members. I know one member in particular (Erika; screenname rikkitiki) just brought home a new Ekkie last month and is working on integrating him into her two-dog household as we speak. I'm sure she would be a great resource (or at least commiserator!) in particular.

Julsiebean

Real Name
Julie
How cute! what a well suited name!!!!

quakingcanopy

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Yes, lol forgot to add that. His name is Braeburn, like the apple!
Aw fantastic name!! Congrats on your new faby and welcome to AA!!

I agree to give him time to settle and then introduce the dogs. Maybe allow them to inspect him one at a time while he is inside his cage so he has a less chance of getting hurt? I have a rottie and an aussie and both are good, calm dogs when inside. But I never leave them alone with my birds outside their cages - period! Darwin and Grapefruit sleep in my bedroom, as do the dogs, so it's possible to co-exist with slow introductions and just being aware of what's going on. If you never give them a chance to get hurt - they won't! Or at least - do the best you can :)

I like the idea of the cage in the office. I find the cages we have in our dinning room just get too much activity. It's hard to put the birds down for sleep early enough. It's hard not to wake them up too early. The dogs moved around move often in the main part of the house depending on what we're doing. It's maybe "too" loud and busy for the birds. My bedroom is more ideal because it is quiet for parts of the day, but we are in there plenty! They can hear the TV and the radio, and see and hear us down the hall if we do leave the room. Plus, I get up at 6 and they can sleep in with hubby until 8:30. I can also put them too sleep around 9:30 and then head to the living room and leave them be!

So, I'd say go with the office. We also have play stands in the living room for good solid interaction time and that works perfectly.

Ekkies are wonderful birds, but they sure have a list of some special needs. So do LOADS of research and then enjoy the world out of your new family member! :heart:

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay
Aw fantastic name!! Congrats on your new faby and welcome to AA!!

I agree to give him time to settle and then introduce the dogs. Maybe allow them to inspect him one at a time while he is inside his cage so he has a less chance of getting hurt? I have a rottie and an aussie and both are good, calm dogs when inside. But I never leave them alone with my birds outside their cages - period! Darwin and Grapefruit sleep in my bedroom, as do the dogs, so it's possible to co-exist with slow introductions and just being aware of what's going on. If you never give them a chance to get hurt - they won't! Or at least - do the best you can :)

I like the idea of the cage in the office. I find the cages we have in our dinning room just get too much activity. It's hard to put the birds down for sleep early enough. It's hard not to wake them up too early. The dogs moved around move often in the main part of the house depending on what we're doing. It's maybe "too" loud and busy for the birds. My bedroom is more ideal because it is quiet for parts of the day, but we are in there plenty! They can hear the TV and the radio, and see and hear us down the hall if we do leave the room. Plus, I get up at 6 and they can sleep in with hubby until 8:30. I can also put them too sleep around 9:30 and then head to the living room and leave them be!

So, I'd say go with the office. We also have play stands in the living room for good solid interaction time and that works perfectly.

Ekkies are wonderful birds, but they sure have a list of some special needs. So do LOADS of research and then enjoy the world out of your new family member! :heart:

Thanks so much! My brother has a rottie, lol...awesome dogs. I'm glad to know it can be done.

I've been reading tons about the nutritional needs for Eclectus. It is kind of intense, especially the sprouting. I've never done anything like that before, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. My daughter has a wheat allergy, so I'm used to complicated meal preparations, haha.

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I haven't started sprouting yet :ashamed1: but, I want too! Just haven't gotten to it.

I do feed a birdie mash, that has been a huge part of our bird diets and I am glad I started doing that. And I also do fresh fruits and veggies every day.

I feed TOPs pellets too because they don't have any artificial colors or added artificial vitamins which ekkies can react very poorly too.

I think once you get started with it and get a good schedule - it becomes very easy and straight forward. I avoid peanuts, soy, corn and wheat in my packaged foods - but I do offer whole peanuts as treats occasionally and fresh corn. And I have a schedule of breakfast and dinner, which helps me make sure I get everything I have decided to feed into the cages!

I've only had my SI ekkie for 10 days - so I am learning a lot as I go!

Have you visits Land of VOS? Lots of good info there on ekkies as well.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site!

Matt

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome to the neighborhood, Lindsay. How exciting for you! Congrats on soon becoming an ekkie parront!

Sounds like you have the right plan on acclimating everyone. I had an Aussie/Catahoula mix and a pure-bred Catahoula plus 5 cats living together with two ekkies for years and it worked fine. You just have to know well the personality of your animals and don't allow anything that will set up a bad scenario.

Attachments

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Welcome, and CONGRATS on the ekkie. I have a male and female, and I love them both to death.

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay
Welcome to the neighborhood, Lindsay. How exciting for you! Congrats on soon becoming an ekkie parront!

Sounds like you have the right plan on acclimating everyone. I had an Aussie/Catahoula mix and a pure-bred Catahoula plus 5 cats living together with two ekkies for years and it worked fine. You just have to know well the personality of your animals and don't allow anything that will set up a bad scenario.
Thanks! I know it will be all right eventually. My mastiffs have about zero prey-drive, lol so I'm not so much worried about that, just their size. But I guess it's just a matter of staying on top of everything.

Are you from the U.S. Jersey or the U.K. Jersey? I'm from the U.S. Jersey

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Welcome to the Avenue! Can't wait to see pics of your baby once he's home!

As for the dogs, we have a rottie and were very careful introducing her to the birds. She was VERY interested in them, but is super gentle. However, she hates the wild birds outside in HER yard and goes after them whenever they land within reach. She even caught one - a young bird who was learning to fly. I was outside with her, saw her take off in hot pursuit as usual, but this time she leapt up into the air just as the bird kinda swooped down. I think she was surprised that she caught him. I screamed and pulled her away, but he was laying dead in the grass. No bite marks, think he had a heart attack. Poor baby. I cried and cried, felt so bad.

So, even though I trust her with out birds, I know what she is capable of doing. And when all 3 of my flighted birds take off in the house, it has to be tempting for her to go after them (although she doesn't). So I never ever leave her alone with the birds. I would be devastated if anything happened.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Hi! :D I just brought home an ekkie and he's so cute! I am figuring out how to assimilate Bean in with my dogs (oh my gosh, I just typed gods, eek!), and one of the dogs was no problem whatsoever, but the other one (Bam Bam) seems to have a bit of prey drive that we're working with. For him I'm keeping him on a leash attached to my belt loop so I have positive control of him 100% of the time. I keep treats with me so I can give them to him when he's behaving, especially when he's behaving and I haven't had to do anything at all (the most common time for people to forget to praise their dogs, when they're being quiet and behaving :) )
Many times I want to :shake: Bam Bam, but he's really my 'heart dog' so it doesn't really last (and it would definitely be counterproductive :rolleyes:), but I do want him to behave. I have a feeling that your mastiffs will be similar to my Petey, not really give much of a care at all. You might consider introducing them to your bird through a door at first. So they can get used to his smell and sounds. Once they've gotten used to that and don't seem to notice him anymore through the door, then maybe open the door with a gate in the doorway (assuming he'll be in a room that you can close off), and let them have a look from a distance. Of course you'll want to pay attention to Braeburn to make sure his stress levels aren't getting too high. Remember that when ekkies are stressed, they do the 'ekkie freeze' and look like what other parrots might look like when they're relaxed and just hanging out. I was lucky that Bean's breeder has a great dane and a boston terrier, so Bean is used to big and small dogs :) I would just take it as slowly as you need to, and when you think it's safe, just keep Braeburn on one side of the bars (in the cage) and the dogs on the other side and see how they work out. Bam Bam really doesn't seem to care about Bean unless he's jumping across his cage or flying, then Bam Bam will go insane, so I have to have a bit of ESP to get a good idea of when Bean might get more active and be ready to have all my attention on Bam Bam and have a treat at the ready and working with him using positive reinforcement to help him get through Bean's active phases without Bam Bam acting up.
Soo, that's my crazy novel, gives a little bit of insight as to what's happening here, I feel like a bumbling fool at times trying to keep it all straight, but we're all stumbling through and I think we'll come out on the other side okay :D
Welcome! :hug8:

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay
Hi! :D I just brought home an ekkie and he's so cute! I am figuring out how to assimilate Bean in with my dogs (oh my gosh, I just typed gods, eek!), and one of the dogs was no problem whatsoever, but the other one (Bam Bam) seems to have a bit of prey drive that we're working with. For him I'm keeping him on a leash attached to my belt loop so I have positive control of him 100% of the time. I keep treats with me so I can give them to him when he's behaving, especially when he's behaving and I haven't had to do anything at all (the most common time for people to forget to praise their dogs, when they're being quiet and behaving :) )
Many times I want to :shake: Bam Bam, but he's really my 'heart dog' so it doesn't really last (and it would definitely be counterproductive :rolleyes:), but I do want him to behave. I have a feeling that your mastiffs will be similar to my Petey, not really give much of a care at all. You might consider introducing them to your bird through a door at first. So they can get used to his smell and sounds. Once they've gotten used to that and don't seem to notice him anymore through the door, then maybe open the door with a gate in the doorway (assuming he'll be in a room that you can close off), and let them have a look from a distance. Of course you'll want to pay attention to Braeburn to make sure his stress levels aren't getting too high. Remember that when ekkies are stressed, they do the 'ekkie freeze' and look like what other parrots might look like when they're relaxed and just hanging out. I was lucky that Bean's breeder has a great dane and a boston terrier, so Bean is used to big and small dogs :) I would just take it as slowly as you need to, and when you think it's safe, just keep Braeburn on one side of the bars (in the cage) and the dogs on the other side and see how they work out. Bam Bam really doesn't seem to care about Bean unless he's jumping across his cage or flying, then Bam Bam will go insane, so I have to have a bit of ESP to get a good idea of when Bean might get more active and be ready to have all my attention on Bam Bam and have a treat at the ready and working with him using positive reinforcement to help him get through Bean's active phases without Bam Bam acting up.
Soo, that's my crazy novel, gives a little bit of insight as to what's happening here, I feel like a bumbling fool at times trying to keep it all straight, but we're all stumbling through and I think we'll come out on the other side okay :D
Welcome! :hug8:
Thanks so much! The owner of the store we are buying Braeburn from brings his dog in, so Braeburn has experience with them. I know my one dog will probably be more afraid than anything else (she's 150lbs, but she acts like she's only 15lb, lol), and the other two will probably just get bored after a few sniffs. The leash idea is a good one! I'll probably keep my guys in their harnesses for a while.

How is your bird adjusting to being home? I'm so nervous! I'm almost more nervous about bringing Breaburn home than I was bringing my daughter home from the hospital! He's so good with us when we go to visit him, I hope that will continue once we get him home!

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay
Welcome to the Avenue! Can't wait to see pics of your baby once he's home!

As for the dogs, we have a rottie and were very careful introducing her to the birds. She was VERY interested in them, but is super gentle. However, she hates the wild birds outside in HER yard and goes after them whenever they land within reach. She even caught one - a young bird who was learning to fly. I was outside with her, saw her take off in hot pursuit as usual, but this time she leapt up into the air just as the bird kinda swooped down. I think she was surprised that she caught him. I screamed and pulled her away, but he was laying dead in the grass. No bite marks, think he had a heart attack. Poor baby. I cried and cried, felt so bad.

So, even though I trust her with out birds, I know what she is capable of doing. And when all 3 of my flighted birds take off in the house, it has to be tempting for her to go after them (although she doesn't). So I never ever leave her alone with the birds. I would be devastated if anything happened.

Thanks!

My mom's Boston Terrier did that with a baby bird once, too :(. It's so scary. I know I'll never be able to trust the dogs completely around the bird (I don't even trust them 100% with my daughter, although they let her climb all over them, lol), I just want everyone to coexist peacefully, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.