• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Cockatoo Sick or Just Tired?

HarleyQ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johnathon
I just rescued a 5 year old bare eyed cockatoo from what seemed like a hoarding situation. I plan to take her to the vet this week for a checkup. Today she is mostly puffed up and sleeping. She has vocalized some and will come up to me at the cage, but for the most part she’s just been sleeping. She’s not tail bobbing or anything though. She was in a shed outside with a bunch of kenneled dogs so it’s possible she had a hard time sleeping there. She’s not seemed to keen on the food I’ve provided for her (nutriberries and Harrison’s pellets). I plan on getting her old food from petsmart today too see if it’s just because it’s unfamiliar. I’ve also attached a picture of her droppings because I’m not too sure if they’re normal. Just want to make sure this sounds normal for a new bird or if I should try to get her into an emergency vet today.
Thanks!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's hard to tell; vet visit for all new birds regardless of background is the way I do things.

And yes, birds are often highly suspicious of new foods and you may have your work cut out for you as far as converting!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If this is a super new addition, which it sounds like.
And it seems the bird had been living in totally different surroundings.
You may be seeing trauma, a bit of shock at the shakeup.
If she's used to seeds, definitely offer her some, even Walmart brand is better than no food for now.
Offer water the way she had it before if possible. If from a bottle, she may not realize it's in a bowl, and vice-a-versa.
I'm not sure you need an emergency vet, but the quickest you can get her in the better.
If she goes down even a little bit, looks weaker, then an emergency visit is in order.
Watch her closely.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are her droppings bubbly? Are the urates yellow? It might be me not seeing correctly but they do look off to me. As mentioned all birds react differently to a new home. And definitely let her eat whatever she is used to eating for now. I would definitely get her a vet check. Thank you for helping her.

@Birdbabe @Hankmacaw

HarleyQ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johnathon
Are her droppings bubbly? Are the urates yellow? It might be me not seeing correctly but they do look off to me. As mentioned all birds react differently to a new home. And definitely let her eat whatever she is used to eating for now. I would definitely get her a vet check. Thank you for helping her.

@Birdbabe @Hankmacaw
Her droppings do not look bubbly. Urate appears more white than yellow. There is some green in there which is what kind of worried me. The internet said it could indicate liver failure.

So, I finally found out the exact type of food she was eating which is the Zupreem Fruit Blend. I went out and got it. Of course when I got back it appears that Haley did eat some nutriberry and at least thought about eating some Harrison's. She also clearly played with one of her toys. I gave her the Zupreem and she started eating that as well. Is the Zupreem any good? I've always liked Harrisons and Nutriberries with fresh fruits and veggies, but if the Zupreem is a good quality food I could always leave her on that. The artificial coloring makes me a little skeptical of its quality though. Also, for the checkup I definitely plan to do a fecal, but would bloodwork be recommended for a 5 year old?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I prefer Harrison's but my Jardine's has been on Zupreem Fruity for over 2 years now. It saved his life honestly. I would feed both and slowly phase out the Zupreem if it were me :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad shes eating! Shes been through #=//...get her checked, give her whatever she wants, you'll have plenty of time to gradually change her diet, Zupreem fruit pellets are the only ones my birds will eat, and they like avicakes, nutriberries,,,not so much..thank you for helping her, :hug8:

HarleyQ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johnathon
It was so sad honestly. She was in the tiniest cage with one concrete perch in it and on top of a kennel with three dogs and beside a small kennel with three puppies. I’m not even sure the shed was heated. I can’t wait to spoil her.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome @HarleyQ . Thanks for taking this bird in. Sounds like she really needed a better life.

Her poop does not look good to me. The urine is quite yellow although it's hard to tell about the urates (but they do look tinged to me). The yellow does not mean "liver failure", but is good evidence of a liver disease. The really great majority of liver disease in birds can be cured or managed. Diet is a big part of that treatment.

Being housed with dogs, she could have one or more infections and those can effect the color of the poops too.

I don't think taking her to the emergency vet is necessary (unless she really fails). A regular avian vet will be much more thorough - emergency means emergency. Be sure you get her in as soon as you possibly can.

Please keep us informed. Many of us, including me, have had experience with liver disease in our birds.

HarleyQ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johnathon
So you do think it’s liver disease? I did read that the zupreem can cause a green color but I’m not sure if that’s different or not.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I dtid not say that I don't think it's liver disease. That it is liver disease is a very good possibility, but there are other diseases (and pellet color) that can cause the poop to color. Her entire poop does not look like that of a healthy bird.

@Mizzely Where is your poop pictures chart?

HarleyQ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johnathon
Were not vets, colored food will affect poo,,all seed diet will affect poo.., wait to get a full checkup, write down everything you want to ask, so you dont forget,, :heart:
Oh of course. I made this thread purely for advice and opinions from avid bird owners. I in no way would expect a diagnosis from anyone but a licensed vet. (I’m actually in vet school but the only vet I know personally that sees birds shouldn’t see birds or I would’ve asked him for advice).
I dtid not say that I don't think it's liver disease. That it is liver disease is a very good possibility, but there are other diseases (and pellet color) that can cause the poop to color. Her entire poop does not look like that of a healthy bird.

@Mizzely Where is your poop pictures chart?
Yes! I would love a chart. I’ve been trying to find one on the internet with no luck.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good Luck & thanks for giving her a chance at a good life.

Sleeping alot is not a good sign but maybe she did not sleep well with the dogs.
She also is new so she would be not as active & perhaps hiding out til she knew she was safe.

Make sure she is eating & drinking etc. Vet will be able to check her & hope she checks out OK.

The liquid surrounding the poop does look yellow tinged but if its sat sometimes the poop will bleed some color into the liquid. That could even mean she is dehydrated from the poop chart. Keep monitoring her poop.

HarleyQ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johnathon
I’ll have to try Higgins if she doesn’t take to the Harrison’s. I’ve had good luck switching birds to the high potency formula so we will see.