• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieko&Apollo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ashleigh
I'd like to introduce my cockatiel Apollo, I've had him for more than a year and he just had his second birthday, He's generally sweet and lovable. But, I just got a new female for breeding, Kieko is four years old, her previous home lock her in her cage for three of her four years of life, I plan to make it much better.

Anyways, Kieko, despite the years of not being handled, is really sweet she doesn't bite at all, literally. But Apollo has been very protective of her and I'm not sure how to keep him from being mean and biting me but still able to mate with Kieko. Is this possible? or did I make a huge mistake by getting another cockatiel? I want to breed my birds but as gamers say, I'm a noob. Anything helps thanks.:)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
WElcome to the Avenue congratulations on your new tiel...I take it you took the new tiel to an avian vet for a wellness check and that you quarantined for at least 30 days before introducing them. YOu have to keep an eye on them if they are caged together as sometimes the female will not want the advances of the male and they could fight. If she seems to like him, then it will be ok. As for keeping him from biting you..well he is protecting his mate now. Best to ignore the bites and learn when he is going to bite. what sets him off? Sudden sharp movements toward his girl? I have a male tiel here & he will do anything to protect his woman. You also cannot separate them now unless the girl really does not want his advances. If they are bonded and she likes him, it would be incredibly cruel to separate them now. Just be as nice as possible to Apollo and show him that you are not going to harm his girlfriend. I take it you also know how to hand feed babies etc and have looked all that up on line. and if she has a clean bill of health, you know how to watch for egg binding etc?

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Tiels do great in pairs. I wouldn't say that was a mistake. Breeding on the other hand is not the way I would recommend learning the ropes. Please ask any questions you have.

Tapatalk

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Hormones can do funny things.

Two of my birds are in a male female bonded pair and every so often when in mating mode Elvis, who is normally a sweet snuggle lovebug, will transform into a moody piranha. It passes and he goes back to being sweet.

Why are you interested in breeding, may I ask? It can be tough, expensive and ultimately adds to a problem of more birds for a species where many areas have a surplus of parrots that need homes in shelters.

Kieko&Apollo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ashleigh
Yes I'm planning to breed, i've wanted to ever since I got Apollo. Since i was little I've always been fascinated by birds, I thought it'd be interesting to see how they develop and grow. I've done research on how to raise chicks and I have a friend who raised them as a seventh grader who offered to help.

I've been experimenting with Apollo, he's grumpy towards me even when I'm not touching Kieko, but if I'm far enough away from Kieko when shes in the cage Apollos back to being sweet and loving. I think I'm just going to have spend time with them separately. I'm not going to separate them because Apollos absolutely head over heels for Kieko already and neither one have ever spent time with another bird.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Before you breed your birds, you should take a trip to a bird rescue and see how many unwanted birds, especially cockatiels, are out there.

parsley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Terri
Something to think about....do you have homes in mind for the babies that may be produced? Good loving, forever homes. Homes where there is a commitment of time and money and love.....for every baby? Just something to bear in mind before they are allowed to breed. There are alot of birds on craigslist and in rescues that need homes very badly. Not trying to be mean at all, please understand that.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Breeding isn’t always a “walk in the park,” and not all pairs make good parents either, especially IF something were to happen, such as the mother abandoning the chick(s), and end result, you are hand-feeding a chick/chicks every 2 hours (to begin with anyway) … it can be very time consuming.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
It sounds like you care a lot about your little feather heads and good job giving Keiko a loving home.

Are you planning on rehoming the babies or keeping them? Also if you haven't already you should take your birds to the vet to make sure they are in the best of health, the vet will be helpful as well if anything happens with the chicks. With breeding there are risks as well for the female, make sure you know the signs of egg binding and get her on a good diet full of fresh veggies and loaded with calcium asap if you don't already do so. Your avian vet can help get you pointed in the right direction if this is something you are really set on going forward with.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
It sounds like he has bonded with your new little girl. Be patient and I'm sure this protective stage will pass eventually in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.