• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cage problems

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
Hey all! I have a new situation I need help with please. I got Paco a new cage a couple of months ago but it came with dowels for perches. He chews straight through them, of course I need a perch that goes from one end to the other where his bowls are. I can’t just replace it with shorter hardwood perches in that area because of the length. I’ve tried making one out of pvc and covering it in vet wrap but he has chewed up the vet wrap. I am afraid he is going to eat some of it and cause problems. Any suggestions? Is the bare pvc ok or too slippery for them? Is it ok for him to chew the vet wrap?
TIA!!

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
Sarah can make them to whatever length that you need (within reason!). Her perches are top notch!
Is Sarah with Seriously Nutz? Looks like they are sold out of everything :(
PetSmart has a Java wood one that might work but the reviews say the quality is inconsistent. I am very reluctant to order it ‍♀
I’ve seen other people use pvc wrapped in vet wrap. Do their birds not chew on the wrap?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is Sarah with Seriously Nutz? Looks like they are sold out of everything :(
PetSmart has a Java wood one that might work but the reviews say the quality is inconsistent. I am very reluctant to order it ‍♀
I’ve seen other people use pvc wrapped in vet wrap. Do their birds not chew on the wrap?
Call or email Sarah. She might not have updated her site; failing that, she can give you a time frame. A perch from her will be your choice of wood from her stock and the exact measurement you need. Besides, I'd much rather support her than PetSmart.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You should not have to put a full cage length perch by food bowls. A short one by each works for mine.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My cage has a full length perch.

I agree. Reach out to Sarah @Macawnutz

She's an awesome lady (even has an Amazon that she doesn't talk about as much as the macaws).

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
My cage has a full length perch.

I agree. Reach out to Sarah @Macawnutz

She's an awesome lady (even has an Amazon that she doesn't talk about as much as the macaws).
ummm how can she not talk about the Amazon?! Hehe

@Pixiebeak its hard to explain, I can post a pic if it helps. He’s mostly blind, I make some accommodations for him.

I sent her a PM, thank you all!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That doesn't look that long.....

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It’s about 27” I don’t guess it’s really that long but it’s longer than the ones I see sold at stores ‍:shrug:
If Sarah can't help you out, let us know. I'm sure there's other vendors that carry those longer perches. It's best for the birds for it to be natural.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
If you are handy, you can always make perches too. If you are interested, I can post the YouTube video I followed to make my perches.

jessem101

Meeting neighbors
my DYHA would chew through any dowel perch lol I purchased one of those pumice perches, he likes it no issues and been fine for the past 3 years or so.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
In the meantime, could you rough up the pvc with a sander to make it not as slick? Just a thought

D0m1n0J355

Checking out the neighborhood
If you are handy, you can always make perches too. If you are interested, I can post the YouTube video I followed to make my perches.
Hi there! I would really appreciate a video