• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Budgie Help

Brin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandi B.
okay, so I found thus site when our Conjure was but a hatchling and we needed some info on flight training. That was almost two years ago and I kinda forgot about AA until here recently.

I have a friend who has had terrible luck with budgies. She got one female from Pet smart (a terrible decision) and she died withing three days. So my mom found an ad for hatchlings and picked out a male for her to try again. That little one was sweet and friendly but wasn't eating really well (I think she had pellets for him) and he lived for nearly two weeks.

Now, my friend isn't some girl who is mistreating these birds. She is 18 and quite responsible and has had bird experience with our conjure and previous budgies. So, for the third time my mom found her another hatchling. This one is looking to be male, but is very flighty. He has consistent poops (he's been with us for almost 24 hours now and everything is looking good). I've seen him pick at his seed and sit near his water bowl and eye the water. He doesnt make much noise yet but he does perk up when he hears our conure screech downstairs.

Anyone with advice for us would be welcome. I have never had any birds outside of our GCC and he is pretty hardy so I'm not familiar with these little birds. Our plan is to keep him in my room for a week or so to make sure he is eating before we take to the vet and then to my friends to live.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
When you say hatchling, could you specify how old this budgie is?No offense, but the younger the bird, the riskier the undertaking of caring for it whether you/your friend are experienced or not. It might just be that the budgies were not weaned. I'd also be very wary of having a second budgie in the same cage/living quarters as the first if you don't know why/what the first budgie died from.

Brin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandi B.
Note: wrote this on my phone and it keeps correcting Conure to conjure :p
IMG_20140302_123745_965.jpg
Also, since he woke up this morning his favorite activity has been pretending I don't exist

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
Hatchlings (even ones that are supposed to have been weaned already) need soft foods as well as seeds, greens and water. Mine eat whole grains cooked and mixed with cooked and diced veggies for breakfast which happens to also be a great 'soft' food for weaning. Other good soft foods are a good quality multigrain bread, polenta, couscous, grated hard boiled egg and, of course, commercial hatchling food that can be moistened.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Sandra. Find out if the bird is fully weaned (can eat by himself). You say he's in your room... I hope far away from your conure and that you're washing your hands to avoid transmission of any possible diseases. I would not wait to get him to a vet, and make sure it's a vet that specializes in avians.

Brin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandi B.
The breeder said she thought they were about 10-12 weeks. She had a couple clutches in the same enclosure.

Brin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandi B.
We have him/her in one of Sam's vet cages right now and I sanitized it myself. When we get ready to transfer it to the big cage it will be sanitized as well. We threw the old food bowls out, just incase, though.

Brin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandi B.
:wideyed:The budgie and conure are on seperate floors and i haven't even been touching the budgie. The only reason we are waiting to see a vet is the weather. Its snowing and icy and our vet is about an hour away

Brin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandi B.
I will try the cooked veggies and see if he eats those. We keep baby foods for our GCC, I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried that with a budgie?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Sounds like you're taking good safety precautions with this little one. :highfive: I agree with everyone about finding out his age. He sure is a cutie.

Brin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandi B.
Update: he is watching the Oscars with me and eating really well. I found some parakeet soundtracks online and he really perked up to that. IMG_20140302_195946_199.jpg