• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New birdie mom help

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
So we brought our baby (cockatiel) boy home after a 6 hour round trip. He can step up. One min he wants to be with me next min he’s bitting on my lip. He will eat Millet out of my hands. He plays with one of his toys. He let me pet his head and rub his next but he puff up and shacks. I had to leave for a few hours and came home at night when I did he wasn’t sleeping and looks scared. I’m not sure what to do. I’m scared I’m going to do something wrong. Also I notice under his crest some feathers missing. I noticed this when we got home. He was very claim on the way home.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You can cover three sides and the roof of the cage with a sheet so he feels more secure.
We are all scared we are going to do something wrong with our first birds- familiarise yourself with the things that are highly deadly to them that we tend to have in our homes and try not to stress about the little things.
This community is very helpful and supportive so chuck all your questions at the members to get answers to the unknown and hopefully your worries will ease up.
Tiels are kinda bald under the crest so do not panic about that.

Whoops!!
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Congratulations on your new family member :)

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
You can cover three sides and the roof of the cage with a sheet so he feels more secure.
We are all scared we are going to do something wrong with our first birds- familiarise yourself with the things that are highly deadly to them that we tend to have in our homes and try not to stress about the little things.
This community is very helpful and supportive so chuck all your questions at the members to get answers to the unknown and hopefully your worries will ease up.
Tiels are kinda bald under the crest so do not panic about that.

Whoops!!
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Congratulations on your new family member :)
What is up with him bitting me on the lip tho!?! Like he likes doing that and bitting my shirt!?! Yeah he came in my room and went under my bed.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can't tell you why he is doing it but I can tell you it is something you really should stop asap.
I personally would just keep him away from your face, especially if he is biting you. Our saliva can also be deadly for birds as there is bacteria in it that their immune systems can not fight off, so, between that and the fact he is biting at your face it is just best to keep him far enough away that he can't harm you or himself.

Biting in such a new bird could be fear (protecting himself), could be him telling you polite signs to back off were missed, could be a bad habit he learned at his last home. As each bird is so unique the whole situation often needs to be looked at to work out things like what you say he is doing.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
I can't tell you why he is doing it but I can tell you it is something you really should stop asap.
I personally would just keep him away from your face, especially if he is biting you. Our saliva can also be deadly for birds as there is bacteria in it that their immune systems can not fight off, so, between that and the face he is biting at your face it is just best to keep him far enough away that he can't harm you or himself.
K do I tell him no when he comes near!?! I know from his breeder he likes to give kisses so idk. When I fist held him at the breeder he went after my glasses and she told me he was giving me kisses idk

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you are comfortable sharing a clip (by posting a link of your footage from another site) then others might be able to tell you more. Maybe he is kissing you? I can't tell from a description though and you did say biting so I am assuming they are hurting somewhat- kisses should never hurt or be mistaken for bites, the only types of kisses I am familiar with birds giving is when they place or push their beak into you (usually making kissy sounds lol) or in the case of many macaws the tongue comes right out of the beak to touch you hehehe

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomesign:

A bald spot under the crest is pretty common for a tiel. I wouldn't be too worried about him being nervous as his environment has changed drastically.
Remember to post pictures :heart:

@sunnysmom @Khizz

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
If you are comfortable sharing a clip (by posting a link of your footage from another site) then others might be able to tell you more. Maybe he is kissing you? I can't tell from a description though and you did say biting so I am assuming they are hurting somewhat- kisses should never hurt or be mistaken for bites, the only types of kisses I am familiar with birds giving is when they place or push their beak into you (usually making kissy sounds lol) or in the case of many macaws the tongue comes right out of the beak to touch you hehehe
Yeah that’s not the kissing. It hurts some. Maybe I need to just keep him away from my lip altogether till he learns the proper way. We still learning but I’m going to keep away from my mouth tho. He’s just seems all over the place…

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
What a beautiful baby :xflove:

Is that a zip tie of his foot?
No this is when I first saw him at the breeder. I think he was standing on something. I didn’t notice it till you said something. He was well taken care of there.

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
:welave:My bird will give me kisses on my nose or making kissing noises when I come home. If your bird doesn't understand the word 'no' it won't make a difference plus the they way you may say it could be positive reinforcement for him. Redirect him to another activity. Plus he is just settling in. You'll discover so much information here. So glad you're here.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
:welave:My bird will give me kisses on my nose or making kissing noises when I come home. If your bird doesn't understand the word 'no' it won't make a difference plus the they way you may say it could be positive reinforcement for him. Redirect him to another activity. Plus he is just settling in. You'll discover so much information here. So glad you're here.
Yeah it could be it just hurts some lol like a pinch. Maybe it is. He loved his neck rubed. Found that out quick

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new bird. How long have you had him? He may just need more time to settle in. And yes, all cockatiels have a bit of a bald spot under their crest.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Congrats on your new bird. How long have you had him? He may just need more time to settle in. And yes, all cockatiels have a bit of a bald spot under their crest.
I got him Saturday. I did notice his poop was dark green. Not sure if that common in babies are what. He doesn’t seem sick and he’s not eating veggies well not that I can see.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I got him Saturday. I did notice his poop was dark green. Not sure if that common in babies are what. He doesn’t seem sick and he’s not eating veggies well not that I can see.
It's important to make sure he is eating. How old is he? Sometimes baby tiels regress and need some hand feedings. If he makes static sounding noises it means he's hungry usually. If he had droppings, he is eating. Typical droppings have 3 parts- the green or brown part is the feces, urates is the white part, urine is liquid. The feces can be green or brown depending on diet. Seeds will make droppings green usually. Pellets usually brown. The white part should be "white" not yellowish and the liquid should be clear. Checking droppings is a good way to check on illness as deviation from normal droppings often means a bird is sick. What is your baby eating?

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
It's important to make sure he is eating. How old is he? Sometimes baby tiels regress and need some hand feedings. If he makes static sounding noises it means he's hungry usually. If he had droppings, he is eating. Typical droppings have 3 parts- the green or brown part is the feces, urates is the white part, urine is liquid. The feces can be green or brown depending on diet. Seeds will make droppings green usually. Pellets usually brown. The white part should be "white" not yellowish and the liquid should be clear. Checking droppings is a good way to check on illness as deviation from normal droppings often means a bird is sick. What is your baby eating?
Well everything you said seems normal then. First time mom here. He was born first of Feb are late Jan. I’ll have to check I can’t remember

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I have lovebirds, so smaller beaks, like yours. Both super friendly, Wally is a bit more of a reactive bird, quicker to bite, very vocal and sassy. He gets kisses by basically allowing kisses. He’s a very alert bird so if he allows something, he’s down for it. If I kiss him toooo much, he will yell at me. Eva however (i believe shes female) is just the sweetest darling of a bird. Wally’s kisses is like a beak being pushed on you. Cool. Eva, she just latches on my lip. Not in anger or annoyance. She looks at me dead on, just grabs on. She gets a NO bite and I keep her awayyy from my face.
I know from his breeder he likes to give kisses so idk.
Eva loves to get kisses but can’t control it so she needs to stay away from my face. She still gets kisses from me, I just have to be quicker than her and don’t let her have the opportunity to latch on. Hopefully, your baby learns the pressure of her bite and what’s acceptable nibbling.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
He is a beautiful baby, he does seem quite young. Babies explore with their beaks, oftentimes not aware of how hard they are 'pinching'.
You'll need teach him good gentle behavior. He may still be feeling about overwhelmed, maybe a bit scared.
Go slow, be patient and understanding. Keep him off shoulders, and away from your face until he's learned better behavior.
With such a young bird, I doubt biting is even on his mind (unless he's scared to death).