• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Bird Parent Poicephalus Routine

laurenf

Moving in
Real Name
lauren
Hello everyone. I've had my brown headed parrot Rogelio home for about a month now. It's actually been very hard the past couple weeks. We first brought him home to my boyfriend's house and then a couple weeks ago brought him home to my house where there are dogs, a mixed chihuahua and mixed larger dog. Things have been feeling unsettled and I've been a very tired person. Today I think was the nicest day we've had in a while and I wanted to share how our routine is shaping up.

6:30 - 7:30 wake up and quiet chewing on cardboard and toys time
7:30 - 8:30 pellet breakfast in cage
8:30 - 12 pm climbing cage / perch / me; sitting places & chewing on bark and things
12 pm - 4:30 pm cage time, by living room window with lunch (herbs, pellet, veg) in bowl so I can focus better on work :D
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm treat training time: mimicking noises, target training, poop training, & turn
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm quiet cardboard chewing time or final snacks but doesn't seem hungry around this time
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm starting to go to sleep

At first when I brought him home he was rarely in the cage--mostly just when we left the house and for sleeping. I think putting him in makes me feel a bit guilty as we had a bird growing up we rarely let outside the cage. I'm now realizing patrolling him while I work from home isn't going to work out, maybe when he's older. He also has a habit of sleeping on top of his cage, which I haven't been able to break for him. He sleeps on top of a play top cage so I drape the cover over the upper stand and it makes a tent he sleeps inside.

Curious if anyone wants to share how their routine is with their parrot. Rogelio's been doing a lot of alarm sounds recently (very painful) and I think it's because of the interest of the dogs and the new environment. During the window spot time today he was actually very calm and that was a surprise for me. He also seemed more excited for treat training after being in his cage for a while. Think there's a lot of room to grow for how we organize our time together!

1st pic of him on his travel cage. 2nd pic of him stretching wings

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:bump8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have a routine because my life is not predictable. The birds are used to this. However, they generally go to bed around 9:30-10:00P but wake up time, feeding time and play time all vary.
Rogelio is cute. How is his temperament and personality? I've read and been told that brown-headed parrots are much more mellow than red-bellied parrots and Senegals.