• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new bird owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

michele1

Moving in
Hi,
I'm so glad I found this site! I have recently inherited a large flock of birds from my father-in-law who can no longer care for them. After being in the hospital for several months, he has been moved to a nursing home and the birds can't go. After our family considered rehoming them, I decided to take them to put my father-in-law's mind at ease. They have been well taken care of, but neglected of late due to the fact that everyone has been taking turns feeding, cleaning, etc. The move was rather traumatic but they seem to be settling in. The flock consists of a pair of lovebirds and 5 week old baby, parrotlet, canary, and finches. My father-in-law has always fed quality seed and fresh veggies, which I have continued to do. Going from no birds to 10, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi michele, welcome to the avenue.There will be all kinds of great advice here for you.By the way, we love photos.:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site!

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome!! thank you for taking in your father in law's birds...any questions you may have, we would be happy to help..that does sound like a lot of birds, especially if you are not used to birds...so ask away!

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Welcome! I am very sorry to hear about your FIL, that's a rough situation no matter how you slice it... the fids are lucky they have you to take them in!:hug8:

Is that parrotlet weaned? 5 weeks is about 2-3 weeks younger than they normally wean!

One thing I would suggest is trying to introduce pellets to your flock. Seeds are an incomplete nutrition source and shouldn't be more than 25% of the diet. If you have questions about diet conversion I'd be happy to help! (or any questions in general) I don't know much about softbill care, but I have a plet and a lovie =)

Almost forgot... when you get a chance you should post some pictures of the fids! We love pictures :heart:

Last edited:

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I'm sorry for your FIL situation, but thank you for taking his flock in! I'm sure it will put his mind at rest knowing where his babies are and that they're well cared for. We have so many knowledgeable people here I'm sure you'll find help here!

copswife30

Real Name
Kathy
Welcome to the Avenue and Thank you for taking on such a big flock, there are lots of info on this site that will help you along the way :)

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Wow - so sorry to hear about your FIL, but happy the birds are staying with family. I'm sure that has put him at ease as well.

You will learn a plethora of information here - welcome to the Avenue!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Welcome to AA! That is so kind of you to have taken in his birds. I am sure that really helps him to relax and sets his mind at ease.:hug8:

Hi,
I'm so glad I found this site! I have recently inherited a large flock of birds from my father-in-law who can no longer care for them. After being in the hospital for several months, he has been moved to a nursing home and the birds can't go. After our family considered rehoming them, I decided to take them to put my father-in-law's mind at ease. They have been well taken care of, but neglected of late due to the fact that everyone has been taking turns feeding, cleaning, etc. The move was rather traumatic but they seem to be settling in. The flock consists of a pair of lovebirds and 5 week old baby, parrotlet, canary, and finches. My father-in-law has always fed quality seed and fresh veggies, which I have continued to do. Going from no birds to 10, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Welcome and thank you for taking them in! :hug8: Pictures would be good of their cages and such so that we might be able to help streamline cleaning and such.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Welcome, Michele! :hug8: Congrats on the new flock even if it was not planned! Glad your heart had room for them! :heart: Lots of info & great people here.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Welcome! I can imagine it is overwhelming to go from no birds to 10 but we are all here to help so ask as many questions as you need! :hug8:

michele1

Moving in
Oops, I guess I wasn't clear. The baby belongs to the lovebirds. They seem to be doing a good job feeding. The parrotlet is about 5 years old.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm sure that means a lot to your father-in-law. I know how I would feel if I could not longer take care of my two. Zero birds to ten is a huge leap, but it's very do-able and very worthwhile. It can be overwhelming though. If there are times when you feel like you could use help, ask for it.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Oops, I guess I wasn't clear. The baby belongs to the lovebirds. They seem to be doing a good job feeding. The parrotlet is about 5 years old.
Oh! Haha I misread! Glad the baby is doing well =)

michele1

Moving in
Thank you everyone for you warm welcome. I do have some diet questions, so I will post in that area :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome to Avian Avenue!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.