• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Baby Macaw 14 weeks help i'm very worried

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks @CheekyBeaks I know of two excellent vets if you want to look at alternatives.
Given that it's such a young Macaw I would highly recommend Dr Alex Rosenwax Bird & Exotics Vet and ask to see him. He is not cheap but trust me, you are paying for a wealth of information and care that you just don't see elsewhere. He works with my regular CAV and between them they look after our flock.

Depending of course where you are in Sydney there are other vets that I could recommend that DR Rosenwax would also endorse. If you aren't happy with putting the suburb or proximity in public feel free to PM me and I can let you know. :)

Good luck, that ones a little cutie pie. :)

Sarah Liamsi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Ismail
Thanks I appreciate your response. I am in bass hill.

Sarah Liamsi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Ismail
Very new to the forum and couldn't figure out how to PM you.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Something is not quite right about the feather loss around his neck. I'm also questioning his age. It is very possible he is 14 weeks, they begin to fledge about 14-16 weeks. He should be eating more like 80ML per feeding and you should notice his crop emptying in about four hours. I would feed him three times a day until he starts picking at solid food by himself. Formula should be fed at 105 degrees, cooler can cause yeast infections and much hotter can cause crop burn. I would also remove the shavings, you don't want him eating that.

This is my guy at 14 weeks and at 9 weeks.
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG

I hope Jam can help you with finding a good vet. :hug8:

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I am very in favor of "abundance weaning", which means that you don't even try to wean your macaw. As long as they want formula continue to give it to them. Of course, keep other choices available as well - veggies, pellets, fruit, treats. Each bird is an individual, but IMO with a big, robust macaw it is far better to allow them to wean when they want.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good thing you are going to the vet. I don't like the look of that bald area either. Its not the normal baby baldness. It looks more like he has some problem going on or another bird plucked him. So how long does it take his crop to empty? It sounds like it takes him 2 minutes to eat the formula but that goes to the crop. How long does it take the crop to empty of the food you put in. That number should be something like so many hours. He looks to me like he could very well be 14 weeks. My copy of The Large Macaws says a 14 week old chick should weigh 860g minimum with 900+ being more average. According to the book a 14 week old chick should eat between 35 and 70ml 1-2 times a day. So that number probably depends on if the author's chick was eating anything independently. If not, then the higher end of getting around 140mls each day in either 2-3 feedings would be the number to shoot for unless the crop just isn't draining fast enough. You don't want to overstretch his crop trying to get the amount of food into him that some book says. If his crop won't stretch enough to safely take 70cc or won't drain fast enough to get that much food into him, then you'll have to use some common sense and give him as much as he can take. Feed him when empty or nearly empty and then make sure he totally empties at least once a day.

Hope you get some tests done at the vet and let us know what they say. I'd also wonder if he's a little dehydrated based on the wrinkly facial skin. Although, I've also seen people post pics of baby macaws with that where the bird just had problems during its earlier days. He just doesn't look right to me.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, congratulations on your new baby B&G, he is just adorable, what's his name?
I am not an expert but have weaned a couple of macaws. From The Large Macaws weight reference information says that at 14 weeks the average weight should be 937 grams; minimum should be 852. Is your vet an Avian Vet; did you ask him about his crop being high when he made the comment? You might call the vet and ask what the concerns are if any. It is not a big concern IMO that he isn't weaned yet, it is much more of a concern weaning a macaw early both physiological and psychological; was the vet concerned at all with his weight? My reference shows a B&G weighing 760 grams should be feeding 60-100cc 4 times a day. I wouldn't worry about weaning until he has reached the average weight for his age. I was so frustrated the first time I weaned; thought our Mango would never want to give up the warm formula and finally was fully weaned at 10 months.

Once again, I would ask your vet these questions; your B&G's breeder is another call I would make to ensure you get the most experienced and educated information.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Weight 760 grams. Owner gave me DNA CERTIFICATE. She said that's all I need. Her parents are the breeders.
Check out this link... http://www.parrotsociety.org.au/images/downloadlinks/Keeping it Legal 07.pdf At the very least you should have a sales agreement, some species I believe should also have an MTR at the time of purchase, check out you states laws. Considering the breeder sold this baby unweaned they are likely not to be reputable breeders, unfortunately the sale of unweaned babies is all too common and I wish it were irradicated, as far as I believe it is illegal to sell unweaned birds but it isn't policed well, also don't be surprised if your vet gives you a little lecture about this.

It's great you are getting him into an avian vet, please keep us updated with the progress of this little guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hey Sarah,

I am sure that vet will be great as I would happily take any of ours to a vet he recommends. Good luck and I hope you get the answers you need to help your new bub.

:hug8:

Sarah Liamsi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Ismail
i received some bad news and i am very upset. He has abnormalities around his neck, Enlarged on one side? They have indeed clipped his wings, Sad i know.. The Vet didn't want to go into it with me too much as I explained I had just purchased him and he could see my eyes tearing up. The only thing he said was to take him back to his owner, to get my money back that i shouldn't have to cough up the vet fees considering he wasn't my problem to begin with and after trying to ring her and left messages saying i really need to speak to her, she did in fact disconnect her number. I put him to bed an hour ago and i now sit here with a heavy heart.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
His wings will grow back so no tears with that. What did the vet explain about his neck? What did he recommend doing other than calling the other owner?
Maybe the vet can work out some good prices with you to help him. Please try.

The bird I showed you a picture of was very very sick in that picture, he is the light of my life with me here today.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh no :(

As @Macawnutz mentioned is there any chance the vet could assist with the pricing? I will PM you if you prefer not to discuss openly, I am sure we could contact other vets to see if they could look at lower prices armed with the information you have from your recent appointment?

:sadhug2:

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
she cant PM til she gets 25 posts, she's at 12 now.

so sorry things are going so poorly with your baby. :sadhug2: i have no experience with baby birds but just wanted to offer a bit of moral support.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Sarah, I was wondering if you had ever heard of the Priam Parrot Breeding Centre ( from Priam Parrot Breeding )? They are several hour hours from Sydney, but breed several species of large macaws. From their site it looks as if they take excellent care of their birds. They might be able to give you some advise. I am very sorry for what you and your baby macaw are going through.

Matt

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Sarah Liamsi are you able to post to 25 just random posts so I can PM you? If you'd rather not openly discuss what the vet said due to it being upsetting them you can either PM me the info or I can give you my email (sorry I won't make it public on here) so I can see of I can help and maybe call a couple of other vets to seek further opinions and pricings even speak to Alex and see whether we can gain any ground that way?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This is sauding awful and I hope that "we" can help Sarah and her little one. A pox on the witch who did this to Sarah and her fid. To Sarah :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry they've done this to you and your baby. What did the vet say about long term survival for this baby? Many handicapped birds live fine lives. Have you decided what you want to do?

I pray his abnormality isn't life threatening. Does it impair his ability to eat? Are you willing to try and save this baby?

I know everyone on the Avenue would be helping you to the best of their abilities. I guess much depends on how bad the babies's problem is.

Don't despair, at least this little one has ended up with someone that is loving and caring. Now just praying as hard as I can that he can life a full and healthy life with you.