• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Baby Grey on the way...

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
Some of you may already know that I lost my lifelong beloved companion in April, after 38+ years together. The past 7.5 months have been a complete emotional rollercoaster to say the least.

I always said, if IQ left this world before me, there'd never be another big bird in my home. Like a lot of things in life, this too was easier said than done. After a great deal of thought, and countless sleepless nights (we won't even talk about the gallons of tears) it became clear that I just don't function without feathers.

Because I'm of a certain age, I tried for months to adopt a grey from a rescue; older person, older bird made sense. Evidently, even after being accepted for adoption in several places, an older bird was just not meant to be.

So, I located a fabulous small breeder, with the help of this forum, and I am happy to say that my new companion will be winging his way, half way across the country to me this Tuesday!!!! A beautiful 3 month old Congo, named Pejuta (pay-jhoo-tah) aka The Crown Prince.
So grateful to get a second chance at Grey-t love.
IMG_20231018_115948578_HDR_kindlephoto-337057569.jpg
received_755902233015635_kindlephoto-336982892.jpg received_290379957304174.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Awww congratulations!!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:awww:
Looking forward to your new adventures
With :storkb: the baby crown Prince

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
Thank you so much...I'm excited for him to become a member of the family. The breeder has been amazing, sharing pics and video as the little man has grown. IQ was already 18 -24 months old ( at minimum) when he came to me, so it's been a joy to see how fast Pejuta has blossomed. Something I didn't have with IQ.

This little guy is an only egg clutch, which I don't think is very common. Apparently he's been growing up with 6 baby macaws for friends... In any case, we were meant to be and Tuesday won't come fast enough. I can't wait to stuff my beak in his soft feathers, and hear the beautiful sound of eight toes padding across the floor.

:heart: :cag: :heart:

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Awww!!! So cute! Congratulations. I wish I was in a position to get another grey but alas I must live vicariously through others adventures.... I am interested in how different a baby gray vs an older gray (mine was about 1 years old when I got him, we think)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh my goodness why did this make me cry :sad4: I am beyond happy for you massive :congrats5: I can’t wait to hear all about him so very excited for you he’s so so gorgeous
One lucky little bird too

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I am so excited for you. :)
Only 2 days to go.
I can't wait to see him with you once he gets settled :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's absolutely precious! Congratulations on your new little one. Can't wait til he's with you and we get more updates and pics :heart:

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
Thanks so much everyone...you are all so wonderful! :grouphug2:

Is it Tuesday yet? I've been running like a mad person trying to make sure I have everything ready for The Crown Prince's arrival. New cage;yes Toys;yes Embroidered new cage cover: yes Fresh veggies, soak seed, avian tea, etc., etc.;yes Make sure all the drudgery is done in the house so all I have to do is hang out with a half pound of Grey feathers, yes!
Okay, I haven't made his first batch of chop yet, will need something to do tomorrow night, because I won't be sleeping. Did I miss anything? :sherlo:

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
Oh my goodness why did this make me cry :sad4: I am beyond happy for you massive :congrats5: I can’t wait to hear all about him so very excited for you he’s so so gorgeous
One lucky little bird too
Oh how sweet Emma..as long as they were tears of joy I happily appreciate them. I'm looking forward to sharing this new journey with everyone.

When I first arrived here I was a mess, and in serious need of support. No one understands the emotional toll of losing a bird, except other bird people, and everyone here reached out with kindness and understanding. It's a pleasure for me to be able to share this great joy in my life with all of you. Bird people are just amazing!!!! :heart:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh how sweet Emma..as long as they were tears of joy I happily appreciate them. I'm looking forward to sharing this new journey with everyone.

When I first arrived here I was a mess, and in serious need of support. No one understands the emotional toll of losing a bird, except other bird people, and everyone here reached out with kindness and understanding. It's a pleasure for me to be able to share this great joy in my life with all of you. Bird people are just amazing!!!! :heart:
Definitely tears of joy for you

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Is today the day ? I am so looking forward to an update I hope everything done smoothly for you both

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
Congratulations!!! He's just adorable!! :heart:

Looking forward to lots of pictures!!!!

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
Is today the day ? I am so looking forward to an update I hope everything done smoothly for you both
Yes! Today was the day, and The Crown Prince, Pejuta is home safe and sound.

So glad the waiting is over, and he is perfect! He departed from Minnesota at 10 this morning, and arrived right on time in Boston at 1:45. Not a feather out of place. The breeder and Delta Cargo did everything just right.

Little man was thrilled to finally get out of his carrier once we got home. Big wing stretches after being locked in all day. Made himself right at home, flew to the sink, pooped on the carpet, and then it was time to fill our little beak...no, maybe I want play...okay, fill my beak some more, play some more..and at long last came those beautiful soft beak grinding sounds..full belly, happy, and very tired. The Prince has retired for the evening..

I'm happy, tired, and content to listen to those beautiful soft sounds that have been missing here for so long. Tomorrow we can get better acquainted, play and snuggle...but for now, all is right with the world. IMG_20231128_170641191_kindlephoto-596276585.jpg IMG_20231128_172215231.jpg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:heart2: :swoon::heart2::cloud9:
Welcome home little one!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's so precious! So glad he's home safe and sound.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Welcome come little man so glad the wait is over :heart:
He’s so gorgeous

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
The little Prince got a full nights rest and has already had a yummy breakfast, and a fly through the house. That's something I have to get used to as IQ never "flew" anywhere, except the one frightening time he escaped outside. Obviously by a miracle we got him back...I was petrified, and he just thought it was a great adventure.

So, does anyone have any advice that can help me keep this little guy safe? My fear is the big picture window in the living room. There are things in front of it, but still a big space. I don't want to clip him unless there is absolutely no other choice. Thoughts?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Walk him around and your arm hand etc let him tap his beak on window and say a word you want for unsafe

I have a boing in my window so they land on that first

sounds like he’s settling in well