• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Aviary Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
What do you guys think about this aviary?

The dimensions are:

Base - 80cm x 150cm
Height - 180cm

My finch aviary is starting to collapse in on itself! :eek:

So I wanted to replace it with this aviary. It will be used to house 8 finches. :) They are currently housed in a 80cm x 150cm x 190cm aviary. So this aviary will be 10cm shorter than their current one. That won't make that much difference, right?

They are asking $200. Good deal? Or not?

feebee

Jogging around the block
What do you guys think about this aviary?

The dimensions are:

Base - 80cm x 150cm
Height - 180cm

My finch aviary is starting to collapse in on itself! :eek:

So I wanted to replace it with this aviary. It will be used to house 8 finches. :) They are currently housed in a 80cm x 150cm x 190cm aviary. So this aviary will be 10cm shorter than their current one. That won't make that much difference, right?

They are asking $200. Good deal? Or not?

looks good but check your local bunnings as i know they sell them here in nz for what it would cost brand new :) http://www.bunnings.com.au/emag/bun...ent=special/outdoor_structure_pet_housing_nsw

i found it on page 4 for $299 new? looks the same size etc, oz dollars :) so why not buy brand new? unless you can get them to give you more discount, depending on age etc

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
How do you service the birds inside? Won't they fly out when you enter the door? I don't see any feeder doors?

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month

looks good but check your local bunnings as i know they sell them here in nz for what it would cost brand new :) http://www.bunnings.com.au/emag/bun...ent=special/outdoor_structure_pet_housing_nsw

i found it on page 4 for $299 new? looks the same size etc, oz dollars :) so why not buy brand new? unless you can get them to give you more discount, depending on age etc
Cool! Thank you so much for the link!

Their aviary is only 3 months old and pretty much brand new. So I think I'll still get their one since it's $100 cheaper.

However, I'm super glad that you gave me that link. I've got big plans involving some other birdies at my house and I'll more than likely need a brand new aviary for it. ;) I just need to talk it over with my parents first. Thank you!

How do you service the birds inside? Won't they fly out when you enter the door? I don't see any feeder doors?
I have a safety door for my old aviary that will be attached to this one. :) Good point though! It is so important to have these safety measures when dealing with outside birds.

feebee

Jogging around the block
Cool! Thank you so much for the link!

Their aviary is only 3 months old and pretty much brand new. So I think I'll still get their one since it's $100 cheaper.

However, I'm super glad that you gave me that link. I've got big plans involving some other birdies at my house and I'll more than likely need a brand new aviary for it. ;) I just need to talk it over with my parents first. Thank you!

I have a safety door for my old aviary that will be attached to this one. :) Good point though! It is so important to have these safety measures when dealing with outside birds.

all good, just make sure it is cleaned very well etc! :) do you know why they are selling after 3 months?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think it looks pretty decent! (perfect for finches too) I wish aviaries around here were that cheap.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month

all good, just make sure it is cleaned very well etc! :) do you know why they are selling after 3 months?
I didn't ask... :o: They don't have any birds anymore though, so maybe they lost interest in bird keeping?

I'll be scrubbing that thing before I let my finches in there! :D I have bleach and F10 ready!

I think it looks pretty decent! (perfect for finches too) I wish aviaries around here were that cheap.
Thanks! I'm picking it up on Tuesday! :D

It doesn't have a base so I can rest the aviary on the grass. I want to buy some trees and shrubs to plant them in the aviary.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would be concerned there is no air flow or much light can get in.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I would be concerned there is no air flow or much light can get in.
Oh no! Do you think I should rather opt for a different type of aviary?

It will be housed underneath a canopy type thing so hopefully it won't get too hot. However, I'll be transferring the sprinkler system I have in my current aviary to this one too. So on hot days I can switch on the sprinklers for them (the sprinklers will be attached to the ceiling of the aviary).

I will also transfer the heat lamp into the new aviary for cold nights. I can probably put in another lamp so that I can attach an UV lamp?

Mmmm... What to do...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Seriously, no air flow is a big issue. And then the no light, unless you point it towards the sun and then it might be too hot. I would want a mix of light, and a place for them to get out if they wish. I really do not like that flight, sorry.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
No, that's ok! That's why I'm asking for opinions! :)

I'm not sure where else I could find an aviary that is in such good condition for such a cheap price. I don't have room for anything bigger otherwise I would go with one of the other designs in that Bunnings catalogue.

I guess I could try and knock my current aviary back into better shape while I keep looking... but it's not going to last forever.

Man, and here I thought I was getting a bargain! :rolleyes:

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I actually don't think air flow would be much of a problem, no would light. When the birds sit near the front of the aviary they'll get heaps of natural light, and it's a small aviary so it doesn't need to be super open to be nice and light in there. My aviary is similar in style but twice the depth (so next size up), i have it in almost full shade and it doesn't get too hot, stuffy or dark in there ever. :)

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
that is very similar to what I had years ago in Australia. They are great aviaries and if placed right airflow isnt a problem at all

sophiamarini

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sophia
I think in a cool position out of the sun would be fine. I love the idea of having a sprinkler system in it! I may have to look into that for Xander and Lola. Where did you find this aviary? I always check out ebay, i got Xander and Lola's first aviary from ebay for a bargain $300 and it was awesome. You could also look at putting some kind of insulation in the roof that will help keep it cool in summer and warm in winter. My new aviary has insulation and even on the hottest days they rest up the back on the top perch and it is noticably cooler in there.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Ok, cool! :) I'm glad it might work out. Thanks for the input everyone!

Sophia, I often browse Gumtree (the Brisbane version because the Gold Coast version doesn't have very many listings). I found this one listen on there. :)

If you do decide to have a look on Gumtree... be prepared to see birds being kept in terrible conditions and being sold. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.