• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New amazon won’t let me touch her

Jambikinns

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie
I bought a 6 month old amazon a week ago. Anytime anyone tries to touch her or go near her she screams and sometimes will fly in the air and flying into stuff and acting so scared. When she’s left alone she plays happily in her cage and on her cage and play stand but if a human goes near her she freaks out. I wouldn’t expect a baby to be so scared and timid. What can I do to help and is this common with amazons?

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you know if she was handfed?

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Why is anyone trying to TOUCH her!? Birds don’t instinctively like to be TOUCHED! That takes time, patience, and proper techniques.

So of COURSE the bird is now screaming when anyone goes near her.

The cure is a lot of weeks of not putting your hand anywhere NEAR the bird, staying a few feet back, and wait for her to make the next move to come closer to you.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
She's beautiful.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Ok, when my BFA Sam was a baby, he did like to be touched. So much so, he actually would launch himself onto my chest when I walked by. However, I finished the last 2 weeks of his hand feeding and I weaned him. I think that was the reason he allowed it. Now, 37 years later, he likes nothing more than to sit on one of our laps and be scratched for hours if we could. There was a period when he was 6 or 7 that he became quite independent, and would shun scratches and holding. That passed as he matured through his adolescence. I do believe that you should follow the lead of your bird, and give her as much time as she needs to bond with you and accept you as her flock. Remember, you have decades to grow this relationship. There is no reason to rush things. Talk softly to her, whistle and sing. Do not ignore her, but respect her boundaries as she becomes accustomed to you. Take it slow and easy, and you should be rewarded with a great relationship with an intelligent, headstrong and independent creature that is an Amazon parrot. Good luck.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Ok, when my BFA Sam was a baby, he did like to be touched. So much so, he actually would launch himself onto my chest when I walked by. However, I finished the last 2 weeks of his hand feeding and I weaned him. I think that was the reason he allowed it. Now, 37 years later, he likes nothing more than to sit on one of our laps and be scratched for hours if we could. There was a period when he was 6 or 7 that he became quite independent, and would shun scratches and holding. That passed as he matured through his adolescence. I do believe that you should follow the lead of your bird, and give her as much time as she needs to bond with you and accept you as her flock. Remember, you have decades to grow this relationship. There is no reason to rush things. Talk softly to her, whistle and sing. Do not ignore her, but respect her boundaries as she becomes accustomed to you. Take it slow and easy, and you should be rewarded with a great relationship with an intelligent, headstrong and independent creature that is an Amazon parrot. Good luck.
Yeah, my Grey (RIP) was the same way. I handfed her formula before she was ready to leave “the store,” and she never had a problem being manhandled after that. She loved it, like Cockatoos usually do.

But you never know. Never heard of Greys liking to be handled like this.

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
Why is anyone trying to TOUCH her!? Birds don’t instinctively like to be TOUCHED! That takes time, patience, and proper techniques.

So of COURSE the bird is now screaming when anyone goes near her.

The cure is a lot of weeks of not putting your hand anywhere NEAR the bird, staying a few feet back, and wait for her to make the next move to come closer to you.
So true, they are the boss, they decide when it's ok to have you near them, they will ask you to come to them..my Amazon is a Queen I do what I'm told, and if I need her to do something, I ask her.
Otherwise I can forget about it...

You really have to just be around, not in their space..

They come to you...

We have to remember.ber they are wild, and stuck in cages...they need some control....

Amazons are the best, they can break your heart when it feels like I'm not making progress for their betterment.

The bond is unreal tho, when it happens.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Your baby is young and probably scared. Will she take food from you?
She may have been manhandled in the store, and if so, those memories have to be replaced.
Replace them with ones showing her you are listening. That you respect her boundaries.
Move slow, don't touch if it frightens her.
Bribery works wonders, and most Amazons love food.
As she's so young, some soft warm food offered may well comfort her.
Cooked warm sweet potatoes, scrambled eggs, warmed applesauce (no sugar/butter) work wonders with new babies.
You can drop a small amount in her dish if she's afraid to take them from your fingers, or a spoon.
I'm guessing she is fully weaned? No baby begging?

It may take awhile, but be patient and understanding.
She'll calm down once you begin to earn her trust.

She's so darned cute! :heart:

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
Your baby is young and probably scared. Will she take food from you?
She may have been manhandled in the store, and if so, those memories have to be replaced.
Replace them with ones showing her you are listening. That you respect her boundaries.
Move slow, don't touch if it frightens her.
Bribery works wonders, and most Amazons love food.
As she's so young, some soft warm food offered may well comfort her.
Cooked warm sweet potatoes, scrambled eggs, warmed applesauce (no sugar/butter) work wonders with new babies.
You can drop a small amount in her dish if she's afraid to take them from your fingers, or a spoon.
I'm guessing she is fully weaned? No baby begging?

It may take awhile, but be patient and understanding.
She'll calm down once you begin to earn her trust.

She's so darned cute! :heart:
That's such a caring loving response. I soooooo agree.