• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Alexandrine not settling in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
I'm not really sure how long its supposed to take but we brought an Alexandrine on Saturday (now Tuesday) and he's just not settling in.

His demeanor hasn't changed since we got him out of the box.

I've also found him shaking from time to time. Sometimes he shakes and sometimes he doesn't.

Any help?

Thanks,
Mitch

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Mitch, it is still very early days. I have had my tiel for a few weeks and he is till very nervous and skittish but with every day that passes, he relaxes a little bit more. I would just give him a little space and let him work out his new enviroment (cage, toys, noises, smells & home), his new flock members (you). Dont ignore him but dont get in his face either. He will let you know when he is feeling more comfortable.
Every bird is different (I am still having issues with my quaker - rehomed on Oct 13th, I still cant touch him - a work in progress)

This is what I am doing with Rhyly tiel:
Got him on a Monday. I put him in a flight cage/carrier type cage (which was still bigger than the cage he was in at pet shop).
I did not let him out and only opened door to change water, food and paper in pull out tray. Every time I went anywhere near cage I would talk quietly to him. At the end of that week I bought him a proper cage. Left him again for a couple of days with door closed. Would sit next to him and have a coffee, read paper, do a crossword or just sit quietly. My next step was to open the cage door. I would sit by him, talk to him etc. My major break through was when I had my breakfast next to him, he actually came to side of cage - he wanted that toast LOL. I still cannot pick him up, he hates hands but he will get onto my shoulder, he can fly a little bit, though he is clipped, and he is very happy to be there. He gives kisses when asked, he wolf whistles, imitates a ringing phone, and whole lot of jibberish I cant understand.
We need to put ourselves in their little feathers, their whole world has changed and as much as we want to handle, hug, kiss them, they are petrified. He just needs time and patience. good luck and keep us posted on how he is going. Has he got a name yet?

Last edited:

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
No he doesnt have a name just yet...

We're trying to be social with him and include him in things, like eating, we put him on the table while we had dinner tonight, he had a taste of mt butter chicken but it wasn't to his liking.

animalcrazy

Sprinting down the street
Alexandrians can take a while to settle in, you will have to give him some time.. Till then just talk in a soothing voice, give treats and show the lil one that ur a friend..

P.S - Under the right conditions an alex can trust u in a week, however some may take 2-4 weeks or more!

Dont lose hope! You will be rewarded once he settles in and starts trusting you..

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We have had Charlie for just over a month and she still isn’t completely settled in. Keep doing what you are doing, but give him more time, and go at his pace. Something a little extra you can do, drop a treat in his dish as you go past his cage each time, it can help him adjust to you both more and get used to you.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
gosh..only a week..that is such a short, short time..don't forget that in bird time that is like a second...

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
He is still checking out his new environment and is not feeling secure yet. Make sure not to rush handling him. If you take him out of his cage when he's not ready it can slow down the trust that you need to build with him. Take it slower. :)

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
It took me 6 months to get my Emmett to let me actually touch him with my fingertips.

There is no set time for them, it however does need to be determined by your Alexandrine how it all plays out. It may also help if you go ahead and give your birdie a name so it can learn it.

I think all advice given is good.

Best of luck and keep us updated.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.