• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Alexandrine Mum

Lil.G

Moving in
Hi there
I hope I’m posting to the right space
I am new to this forum and have just adopted a 4 year old female Alexandrine. If there is anyone with any information on how to go about new training with her I would be so grateful she was close with a male before and I am female so I’m not expecting her to take to me as much .
Thank you all

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welave: :birdance:

Welcome!
I can tell you I've heard so many stories of this bird only likes men, or only likes women , and it's nearly always a load of crap . ;)

Congratulations on her! I think it's important to believe in yourself and her! It really matters what energy we give off.

I give so many treats to new ones. If they aren't ready to take treats by hand , I use a treat only dish that I put by the door . And one for outside of cage. I say hello birdie or their name and walk over and give treat. I do this bunches if times a day. It goes a long way into them associated you with all good things . Do with cheerful confidence. Dint act like a nervous wreck around them, because that makes them nervous

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to Avian Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Lil.G

Moving in
Hey hope everyone is well
Just a quick update on our newest member to the family Apple
We let her out for her first fly around the house and she seemed very calm .. she then landed on my younger brothers head and even let him stroke her head
She then did some more flying before landing on her perch then going back into her cage.
She didn’t seem to want to go on my arm when I held it to her but she doesn’t mind me handing her food with the cage door open and when I’m changing her water and seed bowls.
Does anyone’s birds have a favourite treat ?

Attachments

2fruitcaiq

Moving in
Definitely read up on articles to help welcome a few parrot into your home and familiarise yourself with the basic dos and donts. Including what is parrot safe treats and be careful of portion sizes ;)

Each bird will have a different timeline. It took one of my nervous rescues months to trust me and now we're best friends. But it's also important to encourage birds to be friends with everyone and avoid any mate bonding behaviours (its seems sweet at the time but can create so many issues).

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:welcomegroup: