• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New 12-week old cockatiel started dinosaur begging today. What do I do?

iMoosker

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Moosker
He’s hand fed and the breeder said he was fully weaned and eating on his own fine for two entire weeks before I picked him up. I got him a week ago. He’s 12 weeks old now. He started begging so I offered him veggies (no luck) but he ate the millet from my hand. He’s actually half eating millet half begging... Before this, he’s been eating and drinking fine on his own. He just had his 50/50 seed/pellet mix this morning but then started begging.

Should I get him formula for his begging sounds? Or do I ignore it?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He has regressed from the upset of a new home and new people. Give him some hand feedings of warm mushy stuff - sweet potatoes, baby bird formula - as long as he wants them. They need reassurance.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You could soak some pellets in warm water to save you buying a pack of baby bird formula :) Offer them on a small metal spoon. (Or a plate if your bird prefers that, just see whichever works)
As Hankmacaw said above, some mashed warm veggies are another good option.

If you do buy baby bird formula, buy the brand he was eating before.

iMoosker

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Moosker
He has regressed from the upset of a new home and new people. Give him some hand feedings of warm mushy stuff - sweet potatoes, baby bird formula - as long as he wants them. They need reassurance.
I have sweet potato at home so I will definitely off it if he decides to dinosaur scream again. Thank you. I heard some places online says to ignore it, and other places saying it's okay to give them comfort feedings in this manner, so I wasn't sure. Appreciate the response.

iMoosker

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Moosker
You could soak some pellets in warm water to save you buying a pack of baby bird formula :) Offer them on a small metal spoon. (Or a plate if your bird prefers that, just see whichever works)
As Hankmacaw said above, some mashed warm veggies are another good option.

If you do buy baby bird formula, buy the brand he was eating before.
That's a good idea! I can offer the mashed veggies or warm soaked pellets before I contact the breeder to figure out the brand he was on. Appreciate the response, very thoughtful.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's still really young. Don't ignore it. Tiels don't wean until 8-12 weeks at the earliest and they often regress. Or sometimes just want comfort feedings. He's still a baby.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Others have given great advice. Warm wet pellets should satisfy him. So will sweet potato.

Congrats on the baby 'tiel!

iMoosker

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Moosker
Others have given great advice. Warm wet pellets should satisfy him. So will sweet potato.

Congrats on the baby 'tiel!
Thanks! I tried everything, haha. I tried mashed potatoes, kale, carrots, broccoli, mushed pellets, even wet egg feed... but he only responded to the millet. Haha. At least he stopped crying when I satisfied his millet addiction. I will only use spray millet for training later on, so maybe building this positive experience (attention and comfort food for his baby cries) will help with target training a little later when he's more settled here.