• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Never give up on diet changes!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley came to me in August 2018 at 19 years old on an all seed diet.

He'll reliably eat Zupreem Fruity, almonds, and dried papaya. Everything else is hit or miss (90% miss!)

I can live with the pellet, but I would really like him to eat some fresh foods. Over the past two years he's eaten bird bead twice, apple once, and oatmeal a few times. But he's never tried chop.

I've tried fresh chop, cooked chop, cold chop, frozen chop, warm chop, chop in oatmeal, freeze dried chop, dehydrated chop, rehydrated chop, chop in bread, chop with seed, chop with sprouts, chop on plates, chop in ceramic bowls, chop in stainless steel bowls, chop on a spoon, chop in my hand....

(Not to mention every pellet brand on the market save one or two)

You get the picture :lol:

The last few weeks I've not even tried. Not because I'm done, but because I thought I ran out of chop and haven't had time to make more.

I found some in my chest freezer so brought it up last night to thaw.

Now, Ripley gets his foods in foragers, except for one bowl in his cage where I put food I want him to eat but he won't :lol: My reasoning is, you can work for the food you want, or you can have this food I prefer for free.

I've had success with him eating Pretty Bird pellets that way (the only pellet he'll now eat besides Zupreem! Still dyed but no sugar :dance4:)

Imagine my surprise this morning when he came down to his bowl immediately today and started eating some of the chop! :dancing:

He ate some butternut squash, a blueberry, and some quinoa from what I saw.

Tomorrow he'll probably be back to his old ways, but today he reminded me not to give up :)

IMG_20200514_122154_161.jpg

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Great news!! What species is he? He sure is cute:hug8:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
That wonderful, Shawna!!!! Keep up the good work Ripley!! :eating:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
He doesn't eat chop mixed in with seeds? Does he eat seeds? That one has always seemed the most effective for everyone.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He doesn't eat chop mixed in with seeds? Does he eat seeds? That one has always seemed the most effective for everyone.
He only eats safflower seeds. He'll either ignore it completely or pick out the seeds on top and leave the rest!

Great news!! What species is he? He sure is cute:hug8:
He's a Lesser Jardine's Parrot :)

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Yay! I’ve got freeze dried chop from Texas Freeze Dried and my cockatiel eats it as is. I haven’t had luck with my budgie yet— she’s a stubborn little thing. Gonna try rehydrating it and seeing what she does with it.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
@Mizzely you and Ripley are giving me some hope. It sounds like Dr. Seuss made your chop... I'm currently on the various sized chop, steamed chop, and hiding chop in fruit chop. It's just a chop shop around here too, no eating, just chopping!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely you and Ripley are giving me some hope. It sounds like Dr. Seuss made your chop... I'm currently on the various sized chop, steamed chop, and hiding chop in fruit chop. It's just a chop shop around here too, no eating, just chopping!
I was thinking Dr. Seuss or Forrest Gump lol

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I was thinking Dr. Seuss or Forrest Gump lol

Today we had kiwi grapes, plum grapes, and mango grapes. Alas, she picked out a few hemp hearts... At least she's experiencing the flavors on the hearts.

Obviously her grapes have been contaminated!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Here a chop, there a chop, every where a chop chop!!!! :D What a gorgeous photo of Ripley! I'm always adding something new pellet wise but do my basic grain veggie chop ( 50% cooked grains 50% veggies)... if I switch it up too much flavor wise the chop doesn't get eaten. I did, after reading some people liking the Higgins Intune pellets I decided to order a bag for the heck of it ( yes, they do have some sugar in the ingredients, they're colored but have no artificial dyes) while I was ordering dog food. Half of my crew really like it. The proof is in the missing pellets in their cup and the lovely shade of poop... I know they ate it! Get this... I put some in the cup Henry gets his nightly walnut bits, almond bits, teaspoon of safflower ( there are also smaller pellets roudybush/ zupreem in this cup.. His large cup has his size zupreem and Tops with a few medium sized roudybush). He ATE ALL of those intune pellets... how surprised was I!!!!! He gets some of those every night now in his treat cup. This is what I ordered:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Here a chop, there a chop, every where a chop chop!!!! :D What a gorgeous photo of Ripley! I'm always adding something new pellet wise but do my basic grain veggie chop ( 50% cooked grains 50% veggies)... if I switch it up too much flavor wise the chop doesn't get eaten. I did, after reading some people liking the Higgins Intune pellets I decided to order a bag for the heck of it ( yes, they do have some sugar in the ingredients, they're colored but have no artificial dyes) while I was ordering dog food. Half of my crew really like it. The proof is in the missing pellets in their cup and the lovely shade of poop... I know they ate it! Get this... I put some in the cup Henry gets his nightly walnut bits, almond bits, teaspoon of safflower ( there are also smaller pellets roudybush/ zupreem in this cup.. His large cup has his size zupreem and Tops with a few medium sized roudybush). He ATE ALL of those intune pellets... how surprised was I!!!!! He gets some of those every night now in his treat cup. This is what I ordered:

This is what I used to switch from the zupreem fruity pellets. It was fast compared to the trials with everything else.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

This is what I used to switch from the zupreem fruity pellets. It was fast compared to the trials with everything else.
I've tried two sizes of the inTune several times with him and it so far has been a no go :( The Pretty Bird at least has no sugar even if it is artificial colors! My hope is to get rid of colors next :fingerscrossed:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Pris

Meeting neighbors
Yay! I’ve got freeze dried chop from Texas Freeze Dried and my cockatiel eats it as is. I haven’t had luck with my budgie yet— she’s a stubborn little thing. Gonna try rehydrating it and seeing what she does with it.
Is there a specific way you are supposed to administer the Texas Freeze Dried chop? I cannot find a how to in the website

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow! That is GREAT news!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is there a specific way you are supposed to administer the Texas Freeze Dried chop? I cannot find a how to in the website
From their website:

To serve: spoon out the amount you wish to serve your bird. A serving is approximately the size of your bird's head. Add a very SMALL amount of liquid, just enough to wet it a tiny bit. Fluff the chop around with a fork and serve. The chop can be rehydrated with water or fruit juice if your choice or may be served dry.