• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nesting Materials for a Quaker Parrot?

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I want to give my quaker parrot some more fun things to do when I'm not home because he seems very bored in his cage even with his toys. I know that quaker parrots love to build huge, elaborate nests, so I figured he might enjoy doing that. I have some popsicle sticks that I could cut into little "sticks" if that would work. I tried doing a little research but there doesnt seem to be a lot on this subject. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sucker/lollipop sticks
Thin dowel pieces
Apple twigs
Q-tips
straws
Jingo's favorite: strips of leather

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Shoe laces, straws of any kind, millet sprigs, pieces of string or thin rope, ribbon, pretty much anything you could look at and consider weaving between cage bars. Some of my Quakers will use tailfeathers they find in the bird room as well as any type of wire tie or, for that matter, zip ties.

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Shoe laces, straws of an kind, millet sprigs, pieces of string or thin rope, ribbon, pretty much anything you could look at and consider weaving between cage bars. Some of my Quakers will use tailfeathers they find in the bird room as well as any type of wire tie or, for that matter, zip ties.
You forgot to mention eye glasses. Lol :rofl:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also my quakers love foraging :)

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Ralph likes to work with thin hardwood dowels (about 1/8 inch in diameter), cut to lengths between 6 inches and 9 inches. He has lots of fun arranging and rearranging them. Though Ralph isn't interested in building an actual nest, the dowels could work fine for a QP who does.

Elke Dowkes

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ELKE DOWKES
I can see my two girls wanting to weave but although they got everything from toothpicks without the spikey end to lollipop sticks, apple tree sprigs ribbon- they drop it through the wire though- so my idea is hay or straw, but I'm frightened that these breed mites- as one of my babies is a plucker anyway and I don't want her to get worse through mites? Any other suggestion for bits for my sweet girls ?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have been buying 3/16" tri paper rope from California bird nerds, a vendor here on AA, and my boy loves weaving with it. I can't link you to the exact stuff right now because her store is closed down for a little bit but it'll be back up soon.

This is how it looks though

20190709_093545.jpg

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can freeze the hay for a few days to kill mites

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Try shoe laces or leather strings. One of my Quaker boys, JJ, will weave anything into his Timothy grass tunnel. I'd also suggest maybe ziplocking a large size Timothy grass tunnel upside down inside on the cage ceiling. That will give your Quaker(s) something to build on or into. JJ is well versed in weaving, Baby Blue weaves into the sides or bottom of his cage and the Quaker girls would weave into peculiar places. They all seemed to like straws and the millet sprigs left after the millet's been eaten.

JJ is notorious for stealing pens, pencils, millet sprigs (from the tiels), laces and glasses ... and anything else he thinks he can weave into his "nest".

I know I posted some pix of JJ's nest, you might be able to find it under Sparky, who's a Quaker on Youtube whose owner actually made a video of Sparky building his nest.