• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nest box

Vic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vic
Hi I have an aviary and want to put some nest boxes in. I have 10 budgies but want good nest boxes they are for budgies any help appreciated. Also where to get them as well.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Are you planning on breeding them?

You can build your own nest boxes relatively easy. I would suggest 6 1/2 wide x 6 1/2 long by 8” tall. You need to include a back hatch, that opens about 2” From the top of the box and extends down to about 2” from the bottom of the box. You want a 2”’lip to prevent eggs from falling out when you open it.

you might want to include a side hatch too.

put a hole about 2” in diameter about 3” from the top so the can enter and exit

you will also want to a hole for what ever down size you put in about 1 inch or so from the bottom of the hole so the birds have a perch to land on when entering the box.

you will get more satisfaction by building your own boxes. One thing to remember is to make sure no screw protrude inside the box.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Hi I have an aviary and want to put some nest boxes in. I have 10 budgies but want good nest boxes they are for budgies any help appreciated. Also where to get them as well.
Amazon has many different nesting boxes

Vic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vic
Are you planning on breeding them?

You can build your own nest boxes relatively easy. I would suggest 6 1/2 wide x 6 1/2 long by 8” tall. You need to include a back hatch, that opens about 2” From the top of the box and extends down to about 2” from the bottom of the box. You want a 2”’lip to prevent eggs from falling out when you open it.

you might want to include a side hatch too.

put a hole about 2” in diameter about 3” from the top so the can enter and exit

you will also want to a hole for what ever down size you put in about 1 inch or so from the bottom of the hole so the birds have a perch to land on when entering the box.

you will get more satisfaction by building your own boxes. One thing to remember is to make sure no screw protrude inside the box.
Thanks for your reply but not very good at diy.lol

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I totally understand. I use nest boxes to allow them to be a bird and not fight their innate nesting, mating, nest protection instincts. This way the get to do what is powerfully natural, it actually reduces hormonal aggression thru out the year because they get it out of their system when the season is right.

As they lay their eggs and I collect and replace them with fakes and dispose of the real ones. Once they are done she goes thru the motions of trying to hatch them the birds abandon the nest box and return to their normal routine…
And are easy to handle and listen well. They have no aggression at that point.

Vic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vic
I totally understand. I use nest boxes to allow them to be a bird and not fight their innate nesting, mating, nest protection instincts. This way the get to do what is powerfully natural, it actually reduces hormonal aggression thru out the year because they get it out of their system when the season is right.

As they lay their eggs and I collect and replace them with fakes and dispose of the real ones. Once they are done she goes thru the motions of trying to hatch them the birds abandon the nest box and return to their normal routine…
Thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

I am curious which species you are speaking of in this response? It sounds like you're speaking of your macaws. I am definitely not saying you are wrong in your post, but might be best to clarify for OP as their budgies will be very different from your larger birds.

Smaller parrots like budgies, cockatiels and lovebirds are notorious breeders and would be hormonal and could lay eggs all year round if nest boxes were always available.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am curious which species you are speaking of in this response? It sounds like you're speaking of your macaws.

Smaller parrots like budgies, cockatiels and lovebirds are notorious breeders and would be hormonal and could lay eggs all year round if nest boxes were always available.
I was going to ask this too do you remove or cover nest box or do macaws just have proper season
Because I feel if I gave indie (lovebird) a nest she would ever be out of it

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Interested though I don’t mean it in a funny way i do sometimes wonder if she could get it out of her system would it help or just be a continuous cycle of egg laying (not that she’s laid eggs) but I feel if I put a box in 100% she would have eggs

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
do macaws just have proper season
Because I feel if I gave indie (lovebird
Lovebirds and Macaws are apples and oranges.
I would not give my female lovebirds a nest box unless I was planning to allow a clutch to hatch. Giving a nest to a female lovebird will cause her to become hormonal and increase her drive to lay eggs, male or no male. Once her eggs do not hatch, or she feels it is not working, she could lay another clutch back to back. This then runs the risk of egg laying complications like nutrient depletion, and being egg bound.
In summary, it is a bad idea to give your lovebird hen a nest box.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Lovebirds and Macaws are apples and oranges.
I would not give my female lovebirds a nest box unless I was planning to allow a clutch to hatch. Giving a nest to a female lovebird will cause her to become hormonal and increase her drive to lay eggs, male or no male. Once her eggs do not hatch, or she feels it is not working, she could lay another clutch back to back. This then runs the risk of egg laying complications like nutrient depletion, and being egg bound.
In summary, it is a bad idea to give your lovebird hen a nest box.
This is what I thought would happen