• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Neglected lovebird

katya

Checking out the neighborhood
So, I just moved back in with my family and they've had a lovebird for about six years. No one plays with her or pays attention to her. She's well fed, always has water, but she gets NO socialization. I've been pretty upset about it and I figured since I live at home again, there's no reason why I can't be the one who steps up to the plate. But the thing is, it has been about six years.

I've put my hand in the cage a few times and talked to her, seeing how she responds. She always sings when I talk to her, but she's very aggressive and scared when I try to touch her--I'm sure this is to be expected. I really just want to make sure she's leading a happy, full life but I'm not sure where I should start. She also doesn't have a bird bath and I read that lovebirds love them so I'm picking one up tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated it.

newatthistx

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Michele
Aww, how sad for the lovie, but how wonderful of you that your going to do your best to improve the birds life :laughing12: :laughing12: :laughing12:

Since she is not use to any contact it may just take her awhile to warm up to the idea.....is it possible to maybe just open her cage door and let her come out and explore the top of her cage on her own ?....to me this would be the first step to gaining her trust and showing her that your not a threat...

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Welcome to the Avenue and thank you for taking an interest in the lovie. The article Claire posted is really good info. What is the lovie's name and what kind of lovie is she? I have two Peach Faced Lovebirds, BluBird and Harley. Harley, the cock bird, loves to perch on me and take treats but will not allow touching. Blu as a hand tame pet for four years, but her original oner no longer had time for her and sold her on CL. Blu wants absolutely nothing to do with me; her original owner was a man: but she will take treats and land on me now and then. Right no she is sitting on eggs and is a little terror.

katya

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! Thanks to everyone for the responses, I really appreciate it!

I'm actually not sure what kind of lovebird she is... No one seems to know either :(
Her name is Yogurt.

I hope she'll warm up to me eventually.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Hi! Thanks to everyone for the responses, I really appreciate it!

I'm actually not sure what kind of lovebird she is... No one seems to know either :(
Her name is Yogurt.

I hope she'll warm up to me eventually.
Perhaps you could take a photo or describe the colors she has? :)

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
OOh , what sweeeeties oh loveies are so pretty. I only ever allow myself one at a time so I really love to see others because they are just beautiful. :wacky:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I'd give her some time. I'd try and let her come to you instead of you putting your hands in her cage.

Here's some more peach faced lovebird pictures of my current and past lovies.
168640_1352887468996_3471556_n.jpg 556443_2392955350043_1667884711_n.jpg 1001011_2348694883559_713301088_n.jpg 1045019_2348640082189_2077647535_n.jpg

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Thank you so much for being willing to help out the neglected lovie in your family. These types of stories are very dear to my heart because my second lovie (named Lilo who recently passed away) came from a neglected home. Before Lilo came to my home, she was living with my cousins who never socialized her, never cleaned her cage, and never gave her any toys. The only toy she ever received was a toy I bought for Stitch, but he hated it so I gave it to my cousin to give to her bird. At the time I had no idea of Lilo's living conditions and the toy I gave Lilo was her favorite toy until the day she passed away. (I constantly fixed it every time she tore it apart :D )

When my cousin asked if I was willing to adopt her bird, I immediately said "yes" over the phone and my parents brought her to me. That's when I saw how neglected Lilo was and it broke my heart. It took a lot of work, but within 1 year Lilo was a completely different bird. She no longer paced frantically back and forth on a perch screaming, instead she would happily greet me at her cage in the morning, take treats from my hand and sit on my shoulder (or by her window perch). I still miss her :( but I am so happy that I was able to give her a more positive life.

If you are very patient with your lovie, you will be greatly rewarded. The article shared by Claire is great! Positive reinforcement is key. You will feel frustrated at times, but never give up on her. She's waiting for the love and attention from someone, and it seems like you will be that person. Best wishes and we are always here to help encourage you!

This is a picture of Lilo :)

Last edited:

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
How sad for the lovie.But how wonderful of you! We have a lovie Sunny who has also just recently lost her mate.Before Sammy passed away he had gotten to the point where he was trusting enough of my daughter that he would allow her to hold,cuddle and love him.Sunny now...a totally different story! That girl has a bite on her like no other! We started out by just opening their cage door and they both would come out and climb all over the top and sides of their cage.Sunny will now climb up onto your arm when out of her cage.Sunny LOVES being out of her cage exploring her cage top and she also has a play gym that she loves to go too.