• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need to finger train shoulder surfing Hahns

Status
Not open for further replies.

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
So i have a new Hahns macaw that really wants to be on my shoulder. I dont like this because it means he has access to my FACE. But more importantly he wants to preen my hair and i just had it dyed a week ago. It has been washed but i still dont feel comfortable. I have been working on "Step Up" but it turns into run up my shoulder to preen my hair. How do i discourage this behavior? He has a landing pad on his cage and i have been working with him from here. Is there a better place to do the training? or a different approach i need to make? Thanks!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
You can try positive reinforcement using his favorite treat. Just hold your finger out and a treat with your other hand on the other side of your hand so he has to climb on to get the treat.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Fingers aren't the greatest place to perch for anything larger than a budgie. Firstly I would suggest using a fist and letting him stand on that or your forearm. You are going to have to learn to block him. When he is on your arm, keep your upper arm "down" along side your body with your lower arm at 90 degrees (where he's sitting) so he can't just scoot up your arm without a concentrated effort to climb up. When he attempts to climb you block him with your other arm and make him stay on the lower arm.

He can only climb to your shoulder if you let him.

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
I have been using a closed fist to get him to step up as he has been nippy. I use treats as reinforcement. He climbs up my shirt, but if i use my other hand to say step up he sticks his little footsie out and climps onto my hand. I can try keeping him on my forearm. he's such a cutie but i will be firm with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.