• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Need help with swollen wing.

BrendanC

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brendan
I have been caring for a bird that fell out of its nest in my front yard just over a week ago. But today I noticed his right wing looks like its irritating him. I had a look and saw a very large, sore looking lump, right where one of the feathers stick into the wing.
I did notice that feather has been sitting funny for the past 1-2 days.

I called the vet, but can't see anyone that deals with birds until Thursday.

Does anyone know what this is?
What caused it?
And what to do about it? (At least until I can get to the vet)

He can still use his wing, he flaps on the spot and flys short distances from his nest to my knee.

Thanks in advance.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It looks infected. Maybe a broken blood feather and the follicle has become inflamed. That feather looks like it needs to come out. Are you sure a vet will see a native bird? Do you know of any, or can you find a wildlife rehab place in your area? I would think they would have meds on hand. It may have to be cleaned up, and he may need an antibiotic.What kind of bird?
What state or country are you in?

BrendanC

Real Name
Brendan
It looks infected. Maybe a broken blood feather and the follicle has become inflamed. That feather looks like it needs to come out. Are you sure a vet will see a native bird? Do you know of any, or can you find a wildlife rehab place in your area? I would think they would have meds on hand. It may have to be cleaned up, and he may need an antibiotic.What kind of bird?
What state or country are you in?
I don't see why a vet wouldn't see a native bird?

It's a Black-Faced Cuckoo-Shrike.

I'm in NSW, Australia.

Here's another photo of the lump with the feathers pulled back.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would think the same..about the vet, but it does happen unfortunately. In some countries they will euthanize any wild bird brought in. :( It almost looks impacted, as if there was an injury resulting in a clot of blood. Maybe the feather is cracked, but both parts are still there. I still think it needs to come out. Is he eating and pooping normally, active?

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
You should be able to take it straight into any vet to be treated. I have not come across a vet that does not take native wildlife and refer it to an appropriate facilty if it is out of their league.
I am in qld, not nsw though.

BrendanC

Real Name
Brendan
I would think the same..about the vet, but it does happen unfortunately. In some countries they will euthanize any wild bird brought in. :( It almost looks impacted, as if there was an injury resulting in a clot of blood. Maybe the feather is cracked, but both parts are still there. I still think it needs to come out. Is he eating and pooping normally, active?
He is eating and pooing normally. But the past 2 days, he has been a little more "snappy" (getting angry at objects) and making different sounds.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
You can contact the NSW State Government "Office of Environment and Heritage" in the morning. Here is the link Parks & Wildlife | NSW Government Licensing Service . Give them a ring and they should be able to put you in contact with a person in your area who is licensed to treat, assist and care for injured native wildlife. It is simply a case of turning over the bird to a licensed Wildlife Carer and they will look after and treat the bird. Alternatively, your vet should also know of a few people with such licenses in your area and have their contact numbers. As a last resort you can try acquiring a product called Triple C which is a broad spectrum antibiotic manufactured by Vetafarm. This should assist with keeping things under control until your local Avian Vet becomes available on Thursday. If you have an exceptionally good pet or produce store you may find they have it stocked on the shelf. Hope this helps.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks infected and possible hematoma. Feather needs pulled and drained with some antibiotics. Hope that booboo heals quickly.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
First thought was tumor. I have seen one on a young fledgling before. Second thought was a cyst/impacted feather follicle.

Hope the little one is ok!