• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with cockatiel training

Bicirik

Moving in
Real Name
Alara
Hello, I had a budgie before but it's my time with a cockatiel.
I just got a 2-3 months old cockatiel, its only been 1 week. He is very smart and very brave. But I have some questions training him.
He eats from my hand, getting pets, he is even okay with grabbing ( I had to check under his wing. ) and slept on my finger once. But he doesn't get on my finger easily. I tried to do it with millet but he tries all ways to avoid stepping my finger. In cage I put my hand for him to get used to it but he stays away from it. Is there anything else I can try or am I rushing things?
He doesn't show any sickness symptoms, is very active , eating a lot but he sneezes a lot. I wonder if its normal for cockatiels? ( I have a desktop computer at room I thought maybe because of dust but I clean it regularly and its not dusty. )
He tries to eat everything. I let him check things if edible or not but he tries to eat cables a lot. I try to take his attention to something else when he does it. I don't let him out for without me now because he is not used to place. But I'm concerned for the future when I'm not at home he will eat cables and something will happen to him. Is there any way to stop it?
Thank you a lot for reading and help!
English is not my mother language, sorry for the mistakes. 9590c30d-f160-4972-89e7-e8bcf32ab128.jpg Ekran Alıntısı.PNG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's very cute. Are the sneezes wet or dry? Dry sneezes are usually ok. Wet sneezes can be a sign of sickness. You may be rushing things a bit. I would work on trust building. Spend short training sessions with him like 5-10 minutes on target training and teaching him to step up after he settles in a bit more. If your bird doesn't like fingers, you can see if he'll step up on the back of your hand with your hand out flat. Tiels are big chewers/shredders. Give him toys that he can play with. You can even just give him some paper to shred- something to divert him from chewing cables which obviously can be dangerous. They sell cord protectors too that might help.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Bicirik

Moving in
Real Name
Alara
He's very cute. Are the sneezes wet or dry? Dry sneezes are usually ok. Wet sneezes can be a sign of sickness. You may be rushing things a bit. I would work on trust building. Spend short training sessions with him like 5-10 minutes on target training and teaching him to step up after he settles in a bit more. If your bird doesn't like fingers, you can see if he'll step up on the back of your hand with your hand out flat. Tiels are big chewers/shredders. Give him toys that he can play with. You can even just give him some paper to shred- something to divert him from chewing cables which obviously can be dangerous. They sell cord protectors too that might help.
Thank you for your help, he is indeed very cute.
How can i understand if they are wet or dry sneezes?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for your help, he is indeed very cute.
How can i understand if they are wet or dry sneezes?
Wet sneezes means moisture is actually coming out. If you're close to him when he sneezes, you could probaby see it. Dry sneezes are usually normal and can happen after preening etc. Tiels are dusty birds so a bath at least once a week can help keep dust down and feathers nice.

Bicirik

Moving in
Real Name
Alara
Wet sneezes means moisture is actually coming out. If you're close to him when he sneezes, you could probaby see it. Dry sneezes are usually normal and can happen after preening etc. Tiels are dusty birds so a bath at least once a week can help keep dust down and feathers nice.
Thank you a lot for help! I'll check his sneezes. I'm currently trying to make him comfortable outside, then I'll try to make him bath. He is opening his wings for bath sometimes. And he is already getting used to outside, he stepped up himself!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you a lot for help! I'll check his sneezes. I'm currently trying to make him comfortable outside, then I'll try to make him bath. He is opening his wings for bath sometimes. And he is already getting used to outside, he stepped up himself!
That's great! When you're ready, don't force him to bathe. You want it to be fun. You may have to try different things as different birds have different preferences. My tiels like to be misted with a spray bottle. But if they're not in the mood, I don't force it. I just try again another time.