• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with baby yellosided conure

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yeah, the guy who the person who bought the conure said to just refrigerate the left over mix and microwave it later but i dont feel thats right so i just use what i need and throw the left over. Thanks
Its recommended to throw away any unused food as it can grow bacteria & infect the bird. You were right & did a good thing!

Keep up the good work & ask lots of questions if you're in need

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Overall you need to get a scale and make sure he is gaining weight.

I don't have the little birds but that age bird usually eats four times a day about four hours apart. Kaytee suggests feeding 10%-12% of the body weight per feeding. The scale is your most help right now. Scale and Thermometer.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
It just so happens that I raise green cheek conures and am handfeeding 5 right now! The youngest is approximately 4 weeks now and eats about 10-12cc of formula per feeding. I feed at 6:00am, 12:00pm, 6:00pm and again at 11:00pm so 4 feeds per day. Some breeders only do 3 at this age. If you feed 3 times a day the last feed would be 11pm and first in the morning would be 7am. They shouldn't go longer then 8 hours especially at 3 weeks of age. I don't drop feedings until my birds refuse them. I start offering cheerios, cooked grains/chopped veggies, small pieces of spray millet and small zupreem or roudybush pellets in dishes when they are still in brooders. I don't offer water in the brooder as it makes a mess and they get all the water they need from the formula. When they go into a weaning cage is when they begin eating more on their own and begin refusing feedings or cutting down on the amount they take per feeding. I also give shallow dishes of water in weaning cages. They will not wean without water. :) Some of my greenies wean at 8 weeks, some at 10. I do not rush any of them, they go at their own pace. I have used Exact but switched over a couple years ago to Zupreem Embrace as i also use Zupreem natural pellets. Good luck! Your baby is very cute indeed!

I should note that I do not put into weaning cages until they are feathering and trying to perch on the dishes, etc. which is normally about 5-6 weeks more or less. I keep a heating pad on low under the cage until they are totally feathered and perching. And I NEVER sell un-weaned babies, ever.

Last edited:

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
I thought it was illegal to sell unwanted birds??

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Different states have different laws regarding the sale of unweaned birds. There are some states where it is not legal as you said.

Matt

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Well, he's not an opaline! (yellow side) But he's still cute, all feathered up! :D Well done raising him! :)