• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with aggressive macaw

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
2 years for my B&G rescue to come to me, patience, calm, happy talk, he finally slid down his bars to the floor so he could play with the toys I was finding so exciting.

Love the advice about offering treats on a spoon, never knew if mine would take it nicely, throw it or go for my hand until we developed trust. He still lunges but now he laughs if he gets someone to jump, he's a character and definitely one of my smartest. He uses family voices to tease or trick other family members and laughs when they realize they've fallen for his pranks again. He'll never like strangers but most of mine don't.

Very much in agreement about the children and no macaws rule too. Would like to mention that thi guy trusted my 7 yr. old daughter first, allowing her to hang out in his cage and they played endless games together. Before him she had won the affection of my very jealous U2. And his body language was very different towards her from the start. Guess it took all of us.