• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with aggressive macaw

bee

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I am in need of some advice.... I'm sorry, I'm sure there are other posts similar to this one, but I couldn't find anything specific to my situation.

We recently adopted and blue and gold macaw who plucked herself but was otherwise sweet and healthy. She would cuddle, go on walks, help with cooking, etc. Now, about a month later, we are having problems, and I feel that we have tried everything. We are very close to putting her back up for adoption.

Before I explain, I'll let you know that we have three conures in the house, my babies, and have had other larger birds like cockatoos, african greys, and macaws around when roommates share the house. I have had lots of experience with parrots and have read lots of parrot behavior books (Mattie Sue Athan, etc). I am not a beginner aviculturist, but find myself up to my neck in this one!

"Sky" has become very unpredictable. She constantly lunges at little kid's faces (which is unacceptable, since we usually have friends over, and my little sister cannot even walk into the kitchen) and switches "mates" quickly and unpredictably. One day, she loved cuddling with me, purring as I scratched her head, the usual... the next day I came downstairs and she started lunging at me.
- I tried putting her on a lower cage so she is looking UP at us rather than looking DOWN at us... no use.
- I tried "laddering" her (step-ups from arm to arm) every time she lunges/bites (I still do this) but this doesn't work either. She will be laddering just fine then suddenly bite me on the arm, for no reason that I can see.
- I have tried spending more time with her, but this is useless. I spent all day with her once, took her on walks, etc, then my mom (her "mate") came in the house and she lunged at my face!
- Even if I just try to feed her a treat, she lunges at the treat with her feathers fluffed up, then grabs it and flings it off the cage angrily.
- I have tried to take her out of her cage in the morning only when she steps up on my hand or a stick to make her dependent on ME to get out of the cage - no use. This morning, I tried to get her out of the cage on a stick. She stepped up, then ran up the stick to bite my hand.
- I have tried training her to come to me for treats, etc, which I have trained all my conures to do - the flighted maroon belly will fly to my finger! - but this doesn't seem to make a difference in her behavior.
Today I have been doing step-ups from her cage to a stick (with a glove on) but I think we're just going downhill! It seems like a mix of distrust and aggression...
She is on a diet of Zupreem pellets, fruit, and (we are trying to get her to eat more) veggies. We took her to a good avian vet for a checkup, so this isn't a health-related problem.

She didn't used to be like this, but I'm starting to think she's just too much bird for us. Any last suggestions?

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Forcing dependency and submission, sticks, gloves and laddering, and the like seems like very aggressive training. You're aggressiveness is not leaving much room for the macaw to do anything but respond in kind by biting and lunging.

May I suggest you take it slow and gentle and check out; Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It kind of sounds like you are trying to take a "dominance" approach.

Maybe she lunges because she doesn't like little people! Or maybe she lunges because people are moving too fast? Or perhaps it's because someone walked up from her blind side and startled her?

Have you heard of Barbara Heidenreich and Lara Joseph before? These two I would most definitely recommend!

Have you considered target training her?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, the same red flag went up for me as well. Laddering and step ups for the sake of stepping up, all of these things may cause a macaw to resist. Macaws can be great about seeing the logic of what you want them to do, and cooperating based on that perception, but just making them step from one hand to the other, especially when the bond is tenuous, well, that's probably not going to work. It sounds to me like you need to build trust and good will with this bird. And, the best way to do that is to respect her as an independent being with a mind and real emotions. A bond with a macaw needs to be built a little at a time, and it needs to form a solid basis for proceeding with any training or behaviors that you want them to perform for you.

The behavior you saw when you first got her was "honeymoon" behavior. When a macaw is new to a household, you'll often see better or worse behavior than when they settle in later on. Some lunge and are frightened right away and then settle in gradually (that's the way my rehome B&G was). Others are too sweet at first and then start showing fear and "back off" body language a little later. Either way, the approach is the same--start slowly and build trust up to the point where she knows what to expect from you, knows her routine, and knows what you want from her. A little target training or step up training is fine, but go slowly and make it positive and fun. This often takes weeks to months, but if mutual respect and trust are built in from the get-go, it should provide a strong foundation for everything that comes later. I have 6 rehome or rescue macaws, and this has always worked for me. :)

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
I don't think a month is that long.. maybe you should try target training/ clicker training to start rebuilding a relationship. I don't have a macaw, but target training has greatly strengthened the bond between my conure and I. also maybe you should not let kids around her cause lets face it parrots are unpredictable and maybe have her cage or playstand in a place so she can't get close enough to your sister to do harm?

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
How long have you had her? It is a tough time of year for macaws - my two older males are nesty and territorial, and the 'baby' (13 years old) is acting up for the first time.

Overall, I think you need to change your approach. Laddering her, making her dependent on you to come out, etc is all negative to her and it's creating a bad vibe between you. Many birds are afraid of gloves, and some birds either don't understand the step up perch or don't like it. Also, it sounds like you have a very busy house. Is she getting enough uninterrupted sleep? My guys will sleep if we're moving around quietly, but if she's new to your house, she isn't going to feel relaxed when she hears movement. Is her cage in a corner or up against a wall so that she doesn't feel like people (or animals) can sneak up on her? Maybe the kitchen is too high traffic and she'd be better off in a place where she can watch the house without feeling overwhelmed.

I'd load up her cage with toys, figure out a way to treat her while she's in her cage so that you don't lose a finger, and leave her in for a bit. Don't try to force anything on her. Sit near her cage and sing or read Dr. Seuss stories to her. Seriously, my GW hadn't been handled in years, and I swear I won his heart by singing (badly) to him when he first came home. If I say the words "Who wants to hear a story?" or "Once upon a time" all of the macaws freeze and turn to me. Drop a special treat in the cage when you walk by. Tell her she's beautiful. If she's beating up her toys or doing ANYTHING you want to encourage, make a fuss. Macaws tend to respond to food and silliness. Be playful with her. If she's bashing a toy, say "Oh my goodness, you're CRAZY! What are you doing, you silly bird?"Get her a stuffed animal or something that you can use when you're ready to handle her. Develop a calm relationship where you don't seem like the bully that is pushing her out of her comfort zone. When (if) she seems calmer, let her out of her cage but don't try to pick her up. Do this when the house is quiet and calm - not when there are kids running around. Offer your arm - no glove. If you feel more comfortable, wrap an ace bandage around your arm and wear a sweatshirt over it. If she doesn't want to step up, say "OK, we'll try another time." in a friendly, understanding voice. Don't push her. Don't ever ask her to step up if her eyes are pinning. You want to keep every interaction positive. If she's being a butthead and lunging at you, don't say anything, just walk away.

I think you need to keep kids away from her - set up a puppy pen around her cage or something. That will keep them safe and make her feel more comfortable.

Everyone in the family should try to be consistent, otherwise Sky won't get the message.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You have received very good advice from people who have many years experience with macaws. The common theme is time and patience.

How old is Sky? How much do you know about her prior life? It's always good to know as much about the bird's past as is possible. You might be able to identify something that could be a trigger to her fearful behavior and you can then manage to avoid whatever the trigger is.

I recommend that you back up to step one and start over. Time and patience.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Yeah, throw that book in the trash :lol: I bought that 14 years ago when I got Rowdy, and none of it worked for me.

I've seen the Barbara Hendrick and Lara Shepard material come highly recommended here, as well as a book called Parrot Problem Solver.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Oh, I meant to add, when you ask her to step up, have a stuffy available for her to grab. It's great if it's something that she knows and likes. My B&N came to us when he was 7, and at first he lunged at us whenever we tried to handle him. We'd offer him a stuffed animal or a balled up pair of socks and he'd grab them in his beak and shake them. At first, we would just turn it into a game and say (or sing) 'Shake it up, Chico!" After a while, we turned it into a game of tugs. Eventually, we'd ask him to step up while his beak was full of his toy.

bee

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks guys! Lots of helpful info! Do you have any games or trust-building activities I could do with her? I can't give her treats, she just lunges at me...

birdle

Thanks guys! Lots of helpful info! Do you have any games or trust-building activities I could do with her? I can't give her treats, she just lunges at me...
can you just drop a treat in her bowl? a good trust building activity is target training and then I heard of someone that had fashioned a cup to the end of another stick so they could give the bird the treat without being bit. also if she climbs up her step up perch and gets you you need a T stand.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Trust and respect has to be "earned" my dear. Both ways. It takes time and there are no shortcuts. You are still in the starting blocks. The gun has barely gone off. This is a partnership.

What your seeing now that the honeymoon is over is the true character of the bird. Starting to unload some of that baggage.

Your energy, body language and how you present yourself make a big difference.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Trust has not been built. She may lunge for quite some time. This will take gentleness and patience. Notice the minute details of her body language, she more than likely has a perimeter, ie: 6 feet away may be safe, 5 feet isn't, respect that. Drop a treat in her dish and walk to her safe distance and sing a song and/or give her some baby talk.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Try treating with a long handled spoon or measuring cup.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
remember that any adopted bird comes with some nasty baggage, most of the time otherwise the bird would have stayed in it's original home. and that baggage can come back to bounce on you for no apparent reason. you said that she was plucking b/4 you got her, do you know why she was plucking? what was her homelife like b/4 you? the history of her life b/4 is a part of her living with you.
i have adopted little birds with BIG 'TUDES & paid for it with some nasty bites too. you have heard from those that own maccaws.
:tiel2: and his mom

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Another tried and true bonding exercise is to read to him. Reading fun children's books with bright pictures was one of the first things I started doing with Gandalf. To this day he loves being read to especially on his grumpy days. Also try singing songs and dancing. Might want to start with him in his cage on those last two in case he gets too excited and does a little more than lunge at least till you know how he reacts to different types of songs. If you think about it you can probably come up with other fun things such as peek-a-boo the two of you can do to start with that will build trust until he becomes more comfortable with you handling him. It took me over a year to build up trust with Gandalf. If he had given up on me I would have missed having this great relationship we have together.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
For what it's worth, my thoughts are children and macaws are an iffy combination, especially very young children and children and new macaws. It's just too dangerous to take chances because of the amount of damage a macaw can do. I'd make a rule where kids are not allowed near your bird, at least not for quite some time. Many macaws dislike being startled or approached quickly. Kids do both.

I also agree the training you've detailed is too forceful for a macaw, or any parrot for that matter. I know my 14 year old Green Wing meets any show of anger or domineering behavior with the same. If I'm upset or angry, he's twice as mad, and twice as dangerous. I have had to train myself to keep a low profile, moving slowly and calmly, and to speak gently. This helps keep my bird the same way. He will mirror my behavior.

You also do need to give it more time before deciding what you're going to do. Any rehomed animal from dogs to birds, will show different behaviors as they start to become accustomed to a new place. Parrots can take quite a bit of time to settle in and to feel safe. I'm guessing you're not near that stage yet with your new bird. What you're seeing IMO is defensive/fearful aggressive behaviors.

Be patient and don't expect miracles.

I think you also must decide if your expectations may be a little too high. What if he doesn't live up to them? Not all parrots become the lassie of birds. Can you live with a parrot that's not perfect?

It's a real pain when you're bird's not living up to what you want....believe me, I know! :laugh:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I've found that just talking to them in a calm voice every day, singing to them a little maybe, and consistently offering good treatment and trustworthy behavior, along with treats dropped in the dish, will build trust in time. And, call me crazy, but sometimes I explain their situation to them :shrug: . They don't understand what it all means, but there's a weird way that they seem to get that you're trying, especially the large macaws.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I've found that just talking to them in a calm voice every day, singing to them a little maybe, and consistently offering good treatment and trustworthy behavior, along with treats dropped in the dish, will build trust in time. And, call me crazy, but sometimes I explain their situation to them :shrug: . They don't understand what it all means, but there's a weird way that they seem to get that you're trying, especially the large macaws.

I do that also, exxplain to them why they're here with me. And explain to the others why the new one is here. It sure seems like it helps, whatever the reason.