• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help finding a rehabilitator

KimSD

Moving in
Hi everyone, I am new to this group. I want to start off by saying that I have a baby bird that would have died without assistance. I know that the proper thing is to take it to a rehabilitator, however, there is no rehabilitator in my state - South Dakota. The bird had been out on the pavement, screeching all day on a 95° day, and it was very young, probably about 5 to 7 days old. There was no way to put it into a nest or any nearby branches that were reachable even with a ladder. I’d like to find a rehabilitator that could help me because I want the best for the bird, and I want it to be able to be released successfully. Does anyone in this forum know of any person in South Dakota or a neighboring state such as Wyoming or Nebraska who is a licensed rehabilitator who could help me? I’ve had the bird now for eight days, and it’s growing nicely and seems healthy. I worry though that I am not trained and I’m not sure how to best transition the bird once it’s ready. The bird now is fully covered with fuzz and the beginnings of feathers. She’s growing very quickly. I feed her cut up worms and pieces of raspberries. I had initially thought that she was a robin, but I have discovered as she’s grown that she’s actually a grackle. Again I want to remind folks that I have searched for a rehabilitator in South Dakota and have been told that there is none for non-raptor birds. If you could please provide any contacts I would greatly appreciate any connections to licensed rehabilitators in the area near southwestern South Dakota. Thank you so much for your help! She is not hurt, but she is still needing to be hand fed, and I wasn’t sure which forum would be most appropriate for seeking contact information for a rehabilitator. If this isn’t the right group, please let me know which one I should post this to. Thank you all again!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m not sure what is available there so I’ll tag some members who may hopefully be able to help you come up with either a plan or an experienced person to help…

@sunnysmom @Hankmacaw @Birdbabe @Mizzely

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you so much!!
Just a thought, have you contacted your closest avian vet or any vet regarding the bird? Here (Aus) anytime I find a wild bird in need and can’t find a local rehabber, at least one of our local vet clinics will take the bird and care for it till they can organise a wildlife rehabber. Yours might do the same?

KimSD

Moving in
Just a thought, have you contacted your closest avian vet or any vet regarding the bird? Here (Aus) anytime I find a wild bird in need and can’t find a local rehabber, at least one of our local vet clinics will take the bird and care for it till they can organise a wildlife rehabber. Yours might do the same?
Thank you, but unfortunately the local vet had no suggestions about rehabilitators or advice for care, except for the contact for raptor rehabilitators (who said that they don’t no of any non-raptor rehabilitators in South Dakota).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Try calling some other avian vets?

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
@KimSD -- WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :loveshower:

BTW-- We rescued our little Mourning Dove when she was the size of a quarter. [Nest was displaced by a man replacing our roof]... Our intention was to let her go when she was old enough, but we realized she would never be able to survive on her own outdoors, w/ no parental guidance. So now she is our precious baby, five years old.:swoon:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@Birdbabe may have some ideas.

I don't know anyone in your state but this is an organization I have taken a wild bird too. I wonder if you contact them if they could help you.

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
Ask on Nextdoor.com. Be sure and choose the option for going out to nearby communities. You will probably get a reply from someone who knows more about your local resources.

KimSD

Moving in
Thanks so much, everyone! I found a wildlife rehab center about 5 hours away, and they are experienced with grackles and currently have other grackles. I will drive her there tomorrow, and I’m sure she’ll be well- cared for and expertly transitioned to her life in the wild with her own kind.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Fantastic! I´m glad you found somewhere! You have a good heart caring for this bird for the week and now driving such a long journey. :hug9:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That’s awesome news!!

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I rescued and raised a blue jay once and when he got old enough I'd take him outside and show him where to find bugs and worms and anything I thought he'd eat. I dug through leaves , for example ,and I'd poke the bugs and make them move,and he caught on it was food. I hung his cage up in a tree outside and I'd make sure I got him in it just before dark so he was safe.id leave the door open. I kept feeding him as long as he was begging. He would follow me around when I was outside flying from tree to tree. Eventually a flock of blue jays came through and he joined them and became wilder and left with them. My baby grew up. A few years later a blue jay was in a tree and I was talking to it. It flew down and sat on the fence beside me and pecked on my watch. Never saw that one again that I knew of, but I always hoped it was him

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Sorry. Wrote all that before I saw you found someone. Just wanted you to know you could do it yourself if need be

KimSD

Moving in
Thanks again! Unfortunately, there’s been a turn of events…the wildlife center said that they lost multiple baby grackles today from some kind of respiratory infection. Apparently there have been similar issues in other states as well the past couple weeks, including in Nebraska, so the center said that I should try to find another rehab center that hasn’t had a problem with there baby grackles dying in the past couple weeks. Thus, I’m back to looking for another rehab person. I’m willing to drive a long distance if needed. Thank you in advance for any suggestions! (Also, there are no avian vets or non-raptor bird rehabilitators in SD or WY.)
Thank you! Kim

KimSD

Moving in
I rescued and raised a blue jay once and when he got old enough I'd take him outside and show him where to find bugs and worms and anything I thought he'd eat. I dug through leaves , for example ,and I'd poke the bugs and make them move,and he caught on it was food. I hung his cage up in a tree outside and I'd make sure I got him in it just before dark so he was safe.id leave the door open. I kept feeding him as long as he was begging. He would follow me around when I was outside flying from tree to tree. Eventually a flock of blue jays came through and he joined them and became wilder and left with them. My baby grew up. A few years later a blue jay was in a tree and I was talking to it. It flew down and sat on the fence beside me and pecked on my watch. Never saw that one again that I knew of, but I always hoped it was him
That’s so amazing! I hope this little one will flourish in the wild when she’s grown.