• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help deciding best situation for my bird

Zeusbear1

Checking out the neighborhood
I am currently in college (campus dorms) but will be moving into off campus dorms, where they said I can have my bird with me (cockatiel, age 6)

I have heard that apparently lots of the neighbors smoke weed (I do not - but as I said it is a college town, so it’s hard to find an apartment that doesnt), so my question is, would this hurt my cockatiel? And if that doesn’t, what about the move? Would that be stressful for her? My lease is only 1 year then I am hoping to move again & buy a house.

If there is a risk it would hurt her, my parents would just keep her at their house - they feed her/take good care of her (smoke free home).

I just want the best for her & I don’t want to risk her being harmed.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a neighbour who smokes pot. In fact they’re doing so right now. Noxious, expensive, brain altering habit!

I put my birds in a back room & use air filters.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have a smoke free home including pot ..it should be ok as long as you or your roommates dont smoke in the house .. :strhng:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have heard that apparently
I wouldn´t make a decision off of something you heard, or ¨apparently¨. Move into the place first, then check it out.
Can you smell people smoking? If you can, then it´s a no-go for your bird.
Knock on the neighbours door and say Hi, see who they are and if they´re smokers. Could be they do smoke but the windows aren´t aligned and the dorms are well ventilated.
Give it a while and then make you decision. Hopefully you end up with some nice neighbours :)

Worth considering also, will this be a shared dorm? Will your roommate be respectful of the bird?

Zeusbear1

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks all! Luckily I have no roommate - but the design of the room is basically 1 whole long area with a half wall to the bedroom, so harder to fully separate my bird into one area (with air purifier). I will feel it out once I move in! Thanks again.