• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Budgie food help

josejose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jose
I got 4 budgies and I bought Harrosin and zumpereme pellets and organic none dye seeds.

How many spoons do I feed budgie of 4 birds?

It say 2 or 3 spoon but doesnt say for all of them or per bird as the other birds do say per bird so kinda confusing.

Do I feed them like 2x4=8 spoon for them and little seed on the bottom when they eat all three pellets.

Can I also feed them lecture regualry.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jose 1.welcome signs.gif

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Welcome to the Avenue! :welcome2:
Budgies are granivores, so they need a bit more seeds than pellets.
@Ripshod?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
25% seed, 25-35% pellet (depending on activity), and the rest cooked and fresh veg. An occasional fruit treat is okay.
There's no need to get accurate measurements down to the milligram, much of this can be judged by eye.
My simple way:
Free-feed seed for 30 minutes when they wake, then again for one hour before bed. Give them pellets 24/7 and veggies 24/7 swapping for fresh every 2 hours. Once you're seeing how much they actually eat you can adjust the seed and pellet times to suit.
A useful tool I have in my armoury is the Top's pellets. If my flock start piling the weight on I can add more Top's to reduce their weight without them really noticing.
Changing the availability of high value foods is really easy.
One thing with budgies I should mention is the amount of pellets I recommend. Most pellets contain calcium as a supplement, but too much can be bad for a budgie's kidneys. That advice came from my vet, and my own personal experience and research, and why I recommend the 25-35%. Top's has no suplementary calcium and are low fat and protein and so can be fed freely and as a filler.

josejose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jose
25% seed, 25-35% pellet (depending on activity), and the rest cooked and fresh veg. An occasional fruit treat is okay.
There's no need to get accurate measurements down to the milligram, much of this can be judged by eye.
My simple way:
Free-feed seed for 30 minutes when they wake, then again for one hour before bed. Give them pellets 24/7 and veggies 24/7 swapping for fresh every 2 hours. Once you're seeing how much they actually eat you can adjust the seed and pellet times to suit.
A useful tool I have in my armoury is the Top's pellets. If my flock start piling the weight on I can add more Top's to reduce their weight without them really noticing.
Changing the availability of high value foods is really easy.
One thing with budgies I should mention is the amount of pellets I recommend. Most pellets contain calcium as a supplement, but too much can be bad for a budgie's kidneys. That advice came from my vet, and my own personal experience and research, and why I recommend the 25-35%. Top's has no suplementary calcium and are low fat and protein and so can be fed freely and as a filler.
If I got 4 birds so then ok only 2 spoon as say in bag for all of them and small ammount of seeds on the bottom as they dont fly out side the cage as I only feed once in the 2 pm until the next day will this be enough.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Since you don’t want them to go hungry (birds have very fast metabolism) try this. Give them more, like 3 tsp x 4. Look at how much is left each day. If you need to you can reduce by that amount.

I always put in a little extra. I also don’t like them pooping on the seed, so I use a double sided feeder hanging up near a perch. For the cooked food, I have a metal bowl that I bring in and then remove after a few hours.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I wish I'd known Ripshod & finchly's point about adjusting when I got started! That's really key-- lots of places will tell you the 25 x 25 x 50 breakdown, but it doesn't help much if they are still learning to eat veg and pellets. Weighing everything before and after is also helpful!

If you work and can't swap for fresh veg for 4-5+ hours like me, fresh greens have been holding up very well for me! Depends on temp and humidity, too. Having multiple bowls (one with chop, one with seeds) has really helped me when I'm in a hurry in the mornings, too.

josejose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jose
I wish I'd known Ripshod & finchly's point about adjusting when I got started! That's really key-- lots of places will tell you the 25 x 25 x 50 breakdown, but it doesn't help much if they are still learning to eat veg and pellets. Weighing everything before and after is also helpful!

If you work and can't swap for fresh veg for 4-5+ hours like me, fresh greens have been holding up very well for me! Depends on temp and humidity, too. Having multiple bowls (one with chop, one with seeds) has really helped me when I'm in a hurry in the mornings, too.
How many days can I feed them greens as I see also people say 25 percent as others say 50 percent.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I don't know that you can really overfeed greens, unless you notice chronic polyuria that isn't a one off or obviously stress related, then a vet can advise you on adjusting. The 25 x 25 x 50 is more about moderating seeds (not nutritionally complete, strongly preferred by most granivores) and pellets (the calcium issue Ripshod mentioned) than veggies. The bottom line advice I've seen for budgies (anecdotally from experienced people here correlated by research on parrot and budgie diets) is that 1) they do need some seeds (switching entirely to pellets is not recommended for budgies, specifically), 2) pellets are the best way to ensure they are getting essential nutrients (esp. if they are not soaking up any sunlight, pellets supply what their body's can't create), 3) try to offer a variety of veggies (avoid making anything with higher sugar content a MAIN source of veg-- fruits, red bell pepper, etc.) so they can sample and benefit from the different nutrients each vegetable has.

I have had a very hard time getting mine to eat veggies at all (right now they only like dandelion greens!), so I continuously refresh their access to veggies as often as I can (ideally twice or at LEAST once a day now I hang fresh greens). Whatever they eat is better than all seeds all the time! You could always work backwards and weigh the greens before and after if you are really curious how much they are eating. There are a lot of ways to feed budgies correctly!

IraDracona

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zoë
I have the fresh food issue because of work too. I had to give them antibiotics back along so now I'm more nervous about leaving fresh foods in the cage whilst I'm out. I think large chunks of carrot, broccoli and celery have been holding up. I've been buying live herbs too, trying to position them near a perch, and they've been giving those a bit of a nibble. My other half works shorter hours than me so he'll put the fresh food in just before he leaves and removes it as soon as he comes home, but it is tricky to know what's safe to leave. They like chop so I can offer that first thing until work and after work too, so that's something I suppose.