• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Need advice on captured bird.

AlexFromPA

Moving in
Hello everyone. My son and neighborhood kids found a bird that couldn't fly. We caught it and put it in a cage with water and bird seed. I think it's a common grackle. Wings do not appear to be broken. Could it be an immature bird in the middle of October? Just looking for advise on how to care for and eventually release it. Thanks.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
this givwes description of male, female and juvi. Does he have a dark brown/grey or a light eye?
http://www.birdzilla.com/birds/Common-Grackle/description.html
also gives ideas of the diet.
Is it possible he just hit a window and needs a little time to unscramble?
If a cat got him, he would need medication against bacteria.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Maybe you can snap a quick picture so we can see how old it looks. Does it seem injured? Is it favoring one foot or one wing?

AlexFromPA

Moving in
Defiantly light eyes. No signs of any wounds. Is very active. The first time I caught it, I tossed it in the air and it flapped its wings and attempted to fly but only went about 20ft. Could have hit a window, how long to recoup from that?

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Awe, what a cutie. Doesn't look extremely young, but hard to tell once they have all of their feathers. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come on to give some advice. Do you think it has drank any water?

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Grackles cannot digest seed. There is an active thread here titled 'Common Grackle as a House Pet' where people discuss what they've fed their captured Grackles. I know mealworms are one thing.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He looks angry, thank you for helping him. Does he feel thin? Look in his mouth for any white cottage cheese looking growths, smell his breath, whats it smell like? Are his pupils reactive? Does his crop feel like theres a lump in it? In a pinch, you can give him a little soaked dry dog food, but mealworms are better. Let us know how he is. Can you get him to a wildlife rehab?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Yes, they tend towards a carnivore/protein diet.

If he hit a window he may feel better in a few hours or a day or two.

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
Use a small light and check his pupils for dilation. If one doesn't react, that would mean a head injury. Try being very gentle and pinching softly on each of his legs to see if they react.

If he hit a window, he may just need a quiet dark place to recoup and get back to himself. Don't overly handle or talk around him, let him be. Place him in a closet or other areas where he can be secluded and put a shallow dish of mealworms in with him.

I'm not sure what area you're in, but most places have a Rehab group that is licensed by Fish and Game to care for birds such as these. :] Try googling for your area, and they can either help you over the phone or come and pick up the little guy to check him out and later release him.

AlexFromPA

Moving in
Thanks for everybody's help. We have been feeding him seeds, hope it doesn't hurt him. He has been eating them. He seems to be drinking water, although he has been going to the bathroom in it. When I caught him his claws wrapped around my fingers and he was biting my hands. I will check his pupils and get him proper food. You have to explain crop to me, I hope its not what I think it is :) Will try to find fish and game in my area(North Philadelphia suburbs). Thanks again.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
The crop is an organ at the front of the base of the neck, where food first goes when swallowed. It's round and full to the touch when they have eaten.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Pet stores and regular markets sell meal worms so he can eat and recouperate. :)

Seeds won't hurt him, but they won't help him either since he won't receive any nutrition from them.

Cyreen

In a pinch, soaked dog kibble works for protein until you can get something adequate. If the bird is in shock at all, a heating pad under the cage is good too.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I would suggest you contact your local vet and ask if they take in wildlife or know of a local wildlife rehab centre to get checked out by a vet, they can then rehab and release when he is ready.
We have found several wild birds, brush tailed possums, an owl and a koala and over the years and the local vets and animal shelter always take them in, no charge.

MarkInPA

Moving in
Real Name
Mark Thomas
Will a regular ole' earthworm work for the little guy?

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Just one? I'm sure he can eat it, but only one will not be nearly enough.

MarkInPA

Moving in
Real Name
Mark Thomas
Thanks ;)

I am Alex's neighbor, i will deliver a handful of worms to him tomorrow (got a compost pile full of 'em).
If Alex doesn't eat them all, maybe he'll give some to his new friend.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Thanks ;)

I am Alex's neighbor, i will deliver a handful of worms to him tomorrow (got a compost pile full of 'em).
If Alex doesn't eat them all, maybe he'll give some to his new friend.
:rofl: :rofl: It may be an acquired taste.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hows the little guy doin today?