• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need a vet in North Jersey

unclemagnemite

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Addy
Hello everyone!

Some of you may have seen my previous post about looking for a cage for Apollo, and how I mentioned that I would make a post about a vet as well.

So here's the story:

I have a congo african grey named Apollo. She's 20 years old, while I'm 19. She was my grandparents' bird and was subject to incredible neglect and poor treatment.

• She has been fed an unhealthy diet for most of her life (I have her on roudybush now though, as well as other snacks I make for her).

• She is in a cage that I have no idea what it is made of, and has rust and chipped paint.

• Her last visit to the vet was when she was very young, and now she is 20. Also, that vet thought she was male after doing a blood test, but she has since laid eggs, so I am not confident that even that vet trip was decent.

• She is not used to being handled anymore (they handled her in her earlier years but their age and other variables prevented them from continuing).

So, basically, I need a vet in the Bergen County area that you guys trust, but that can also deal with these conditions and provide proper treatment. I also need estimates on how much all of this would cost. I've never had a bird before or taken one to a vet, so I don't know what to expect in terms of price.

(Also, if you'd like to throw in advice on transporting her, I would be grateful).

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Dr Doolan at North Star

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Most birds generally handle car rides fine. Some birds get car sick and need some ginger tea or ginger slices 2 hours prior to the trip and possibly during the trip, too.

It's best to use a small carrier or a small cage with a large door. No hanging toys and maybe some snacks for the trip. Fruit can help to provide hydration if it's a long trip - unless the bird is water bottle trained and can use one.

Bring a towel along in case you want or need to cover the carrier/cage. It's usually best to strap it in in the back seat, too.

Estimate on price? That's hard to say.

Walking in the door could be $30 - $90, gram stain $20 - $60, blood work $75 - $300, etc. The best way to find out is to call up the vet and ask! If you are having trouble locating a local avian vet, you can call the local vet offices and ask them if they know of a vet that treats birds. If they do, they might be able to refer you to one, whether or not they are at their clinic.

I made an appointment with my preferred a-vet, and since she wont be back in until Wednesday, the staff was trying to be helpful and refer me to another vet that treats birds so I could get this bird seen sooner. (vets that work in other clinics) Well, one already saw her and "refused" to treat her, and the other I don't trust.

Basically, don't be afraid to call around to the clinics in your area to find a vet for Apollo! :)

unclemagnemite

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Addy
Hi all, I'm still deciding on a vet, but I was just wondering: since Apollo is very averse to handling, how will the vet examine her? Will it be solely through restraint or will she require sedation?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hi all, I'm still deciding on a vet, but I was just wondering: since Apollo is very averse to handling, how will the vet examine her? Will it be solely through restraint or will she require sedation?

That is up to the avian vet. Most a-vets do not sedate, but some do. Vets use a towel placed around the bird and get a firm, but not tight, grip around the neck to prevent the bird from biting.

To give you an idea. Mind you, a bird who is not used to being handled will become stressed and probably will scream their head off, possibly even pant.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Whether a vet sedates or not will almost always depend on your bird and how it acts. If your Apollo completely loses it, she will probably be sedated, for her own safety, but if she is calm or just medium fights she won't be. Ask the vet's receptionist when you make the appointment. Remember the vet handles birds all day every day and knows how to do it in the safest way for the bird.

One hour is not a long drive - if the vet is good. I drive 2 hours each way and many on this forum drive that long or more. Apollo will be fine on the ride. Birds almost always love car rides. Make sure she can see out of the car. If she gets car sick, don't panic, she will get over it very quickly.

Write down all the questions you have for the vet and make sure you get answers.

Most important - get her to the vet soon.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello everyone!

Some of you may have seen my previous post about looking for a cage for Apollo, and how I mentioned that I would make a post about a vet as well.

So here's the story:

I have a congo african grey named Apollo. She's 20 years old, while I'm 19. She was my grandparents' bird and was subject to incredible neglect and poor treatment.

• She has been fed an unhealthy diet for most of her life (I have her on roudybush now though, as well as other snacks I make for her).

• She is in a cage that I have no idea what it is made of, and has rust and chipped paint.

• Her last visit to the vet was when she was very young, and now she is 20. Also, that vet thought she was male after doing a blood test, but she has since laid eggs, so I am not confident that even that vet trip was decent.

• She is not used to being handled anymore (they handled her in her earlier years but their age and other variables prevented them from continuing).

So, basically, I need a vet in the Bergen County area that you guys trust, but that can also deal with these conditions and provide proper treatment. I also need estimates on how much all of this would cost. I've never had a bird before or taken one to a vet, so I don't know what to expect in terms of price.

(Also, if you'd like to throw in advice on transporting her, I would be grateful).

I am the Adoption Coordinator for a Jersey parrot shelter. What city are you in? Bergen County is a bit of a range. Even if you give me zip code. We can likely help with best options or suggestions, and possibly who to avoid.

Jeanne and John (shelter owners) are originally from Hopewell Junction, NY, so they know about every vet from here to there :)

Always happy to help!!

And I second @Hankmacaw.... driving an hour for an awesome vet is not a big deal. We love our rescue's vet, she is amazing with birds and other exotics, this past Saturday we drove the hour and 15 minutes with a snake to see her for her advice about next steps in treating Lily for an abscess.

Might be a little stressful for the bird or animal, but something left unattended can leave you with tremendous regrets... We have a bird that is a bit of a freak nut job (yeah for those who know us, Folger), but even he goes in for checkups and will is due for bloodwork which all of are dreading, will be hard to keep the human blood from getting mixed in!! :) Sorry, bad joke.

But seriously, routine avian health care is as important if not more so then any routine health screenings we go for in terms of mammogram, colonoscopy, yearly pap smears, guys having their junk checked, sugars and cholersterol... blah, blah, blah... on and on I could go!!

Anyway, back to point, give me a solid starting point ;)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My vet is a little over an hour both ways and there's some nasty traffic (random stop and go) and Sherbie handles it just fine. I'm sure your baby will do fine, even if he's not keen on handling.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good for you. Ag's are quite susceptible to low calcium, lung infections and liver issues - that I was particularly concerned that you get her to a vet. Some of these birds are amazing and after years of terrible diets and poor care they are perfectly healthy - but that is something you want to know for darned sure with a bird like Apollo's background.

I hope your vet will at least do a throat and cloacal swab and a CBC. Here is an illustration of an AG that you may want to study before the vet appointment.

And here is a synopsis of diseases common to African Greys;
Common Diseases of the African Grey Parrots

That should keep you busy (LOL), but remember the more you know the better your new bird wiil do.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I called an made an appointment at Morris Plains for this coming Monday!! Let's hope this goes well.

Morris Plains is our shelter vet!! Personally we see Dr Sarah Marpet, she's on Wednesday thru Sunday. But staff is amazing and caring! We were just they're Saturday with a personal snake. She's about hour 10 minutes from our home, but totally worth the drive.

Great choice!!

unclemagnemite

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Addy
What questions should I ask the vet, and what procedures should I make sure they do?

I know they should do a CBC, a throat swab and cloaca swab as @Hankmacaw said. I need to know if she has heavy metal poisoning, if her nutrition is okay, how her respiratory system is doing, if she's calcium deficient... What else should I ask? Thank you!