• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nectar

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Does anyone offer any nectar substitutes or Lorikeet mix or anything? What's your opinions?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Lorikeet nectar is a VERY good idea. The way the diet is comprised (Ill explain next month when the website: Elegant Eclectus launches). I recommend Blessings Gourmet.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Lorikeet nectar is a VERY good idea. The way the diet is comprised (Ill explain next month when the website: Elegant Eclectus launches). I recommend Blessings Gourmet.
Thank you! Do you have an recommendations on how much? Or just as much as they'll eat and have it available all day?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Im trying not to skew the results from the study, but here is what I do:

I create a 'salad' - ususually microgreens and fresh flowers and toss it in the nectar like 'dressing'. I like blessed gourmet because it has lots of homeopathic characteristics (similar to my herbal tonic for birds). I place the 'salad' on top of the rest of their food as a garnish. In the wild, pollen, nectar and 'bits' take up 2% of their diet.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Does anyone offer any nectar substitutes or Lorikeet mix or anything? What's your opinions?
Hi, I do. I have a mix of birds, everyone gets the same fresh food options. My Lorikeets get nectar, dry and wet everyday, so I offer it to them all.

I also have a feeding station outside for wild parrots. I supply various seeds, trail mixes with coconut, fruit and veg, nuts and lorikeet food. Sometimes meat for the Kookaburras and magpies.
I noticed the Lorikeets eating some seed mixes and vegs, the insectivorous birds and doves sampling the dry lorikeet nectar and the parrots eating the wet lorikeet mix along with the the rest. The birds choose foods that are different to we think they should choose. They all have a go at the mushy foods even though they don't come across it in the wild. How much they eat is unknown to me and they don't stay long so they are not relying on my food.

I put a large spoonful in a small bowl once or twice a week. I give it as a snack after removing the fresh food bowls. She eats it in front of me, what she can scoop up. Sometimes she will rattle her bowl if she wants more but I don't know if too much is good for her so I don't comply.
I have no idea who else does it or of its needed but they all gravitate to it. Hopefully mythic55 or someone else will give an in depth reason at some point.
Oh, the wild lorikeets will eat anything they think the other birds want so perhaps their gluttony doesn't count. :)