• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Naughty mom, breaking eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
My lovebird keeps breaking her egg, she laid for the first time this week, she laid 2 eggs so far and broke those two. . . do you guys know anything that I could do to stop her from laying her eggs on the wrong place or to stop her from breaking them? Or any food I could give for her while she's breeding . .? :confused:

This morning, I dreamed that she laid a whole clutch and broke all of it . . .It's like a nightmare!! :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you need to get some false eggs asap...arent you putting down a soft paper towel on the grate for her? here is a place to get false eggs...birdsupplynh.com if they dont have lovie eggs, buy tiel eggs..

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes. If you had some fakes you can just replace the broken eggs and it wont' matter if she breaks them. The fakes are indestructible.

Fake Bird Eggs

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
Is this a singleton hen or does she have a mate? If she has a mate, have you given her a box?

An old breeder's trick is to remove each egg as it's laid and replace it with a fake one. As has been said, fake eggs can't be broken. Hopefully, after she's tried to take out a few, she will come to that conclusion. :)

If she has a mate, keep each egg in a safe place (room temperature) and when the clutch is complete, I would take out one fake egg and replace it with a real one. If she doesn't break the real one, take out two more fake eggs and give back the real ones. If all 3 real eggs survive, then remove the rest of the fake eggs and return the real ones.

You have the option of buying fake eggs or you can use white marbles or even white stones, as long as they are close to the size of a lovebird egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.