• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nansun conure?

DamJanet

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vickie
I know it is a sun and nanday mix but nothing else. I tried doing a search but mostly just found ads and pictures. There is a breeder not too far from me that has some babies and made me curious.
Anyone have any insight?
Thanks

DamJanet

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vickie
How do you know the breeder did it on purpose?

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
Because, most ethical breeders would abort the eggs and why would they have a sun conure and nanday pair together anyways most breeders actually sex their birds lol and keep separate species, separate

Last edited:

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, unless they were pets and the owner didn't know their genders I'd say it was on purpose.

In theory it could be argued that they didn't know they could hybridize, but in the internet age it's a pretty lame excuse.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you're interested, contact the seller. They may have a viable reason for the mix.
The two birds may have bonded, and being a breeder they left them together.
They could just be wanting to jump onto the hybrid gravy train.

You'll never know if you don't talk with them. While I also don't like people messing with the species, it's not an end all to me. I've met some of the loveliest macaws that were hybrid.

I also don't think Suns or Nandays are in any immediate extinction danger, so the argument that espouses keeping the bloodlines pure for preservation doesn't really work here IMO.

I also don't believe they should be charging an arm and a leg for a hybrid parrot, same as with the new designer dogs. Find them good homes at a reasonable charge.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Personally, I would avoid this hybrid. Some conure hybrids bred from species in different genus can have health problems such as constricted toes. @Monica may know more about any health issues that this specific hybrid may have.

Matt

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Actually, nandays and suns now belong in the same genus, Aratinga. :) I have not heard of any health issues between the two species, and in fact, they are fertile offspring! I've seen pictures of hybrids that were 25% nanday and 75% sun.

Personality wise, they ought to be somewhere between a sun conure and a nanday.... aka loud, cuddly, clownish and demanding! ;)

As fascinated as I am with hybrids, I prefer keeping the species pure. Too many people can't tell the pure species apart and unintentionally hybridize their birds.... add hybrids into the mix, and we're screwed! If *YOU* are interested in such a bird though, then go check them out! I can't say I'll never own a hybrid, but I certainly don't have any plans on buying one from a breeder! :)

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
If you know of the babies just ask the breeder as they should be willing to tell you what the mix is.....

Chihuahua

If you're interested, contact the seller. They may have a viable reason for the mix.
The two birds may have bonded, and being a breeder they left them together.
They could just be wanting to jump onto the hybrid gravy train.

You'll never know if you don't talk with them. While I also don't like people messing with the species, it's not an end all to me. I've met some of the loveliest macaws that were hybrid.

I also don't think Suns or Nandays are in any immediate extinction danger, so the argument that espouses keeping the bloodlines pure for preservation doesn't really work here IMO.

I also don't believe they should be charging an arm and a leg for a hybrid parrot, same as with the new designer dogs. Find them good homes at a reasonable charge.
idk about nandays but sun conures absolutely are endangered...

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I had thought Sun's bred easily, and were heavily bred in captivity.

Thanks for letting us know the Sun's are so endangered. That's something I hadn't realized.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Nandays are common, suns used to be common but naturally have a very small range so they are more vulnerable to habitat loss and related problems and I believe they were listed as endangered due to concerns over them declining in recent years.
At any rate, both species are easily bred and fairly common as pets and they are closely related enough that you probably won't have hybrid health issues. Now, hybrids of more distantly related species can have health problems, and hybrids of species with distinct species-specific behaviors can sometimes turn out confused (for example, hybrids of two lovebird species that build their nests in different ways will attempt to build nests, but fail). So there are very real reasons to avoid many hybrids besides just keeping species pure, but nan-suns (as well as sunday conures) are not really going to be a big problem.
A bigger concern is probably going to be noise! Nandays and suns are generally very nice, sweet birds that are very, very loud. Their hybrids will be just as loud as adults. Be sure you (and anyone living with you, and potentially your neighbors if they are close) can deal with the noise before thinking of getting a baby.