• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nails

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hey,
Been having a hard time with Nuka her nails.
They get long and she hates clipping them. Even with me and my sister it is almost impossible to do cause she always finds a way out or will clutch her foot into a fist. Used to have those nail perches but that didn't help at all. This is her cage, not sure if could change anything to help. (Used to have wood chips instead of paper but we've been having a mice problem).
20210428_160952.jpg

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Mylo is like that too. I wrap him in a piece of t-shirt and it helps with the squirming, but he usually balls his feet up really tightly too. I do what nails I can and then just wait for another time to get the ones I missed. Not ideal, but I haven't come up with anything better. I have the grooming perches and those help keep the tips blunt but they still need regular trims.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Used to have those nail perches but that didn't help at all.
Sometimes you have to try them in a few different places to figure out what works. Good places are somewhere your bird has to jump on and off, for eg. to get to the food dish, or on/off a swing :)