• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mystery Bird Disease in NE US

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I recently read about a mystery disease affecting North East American birds. It involves blindness and other neurological problems prior to death. It has been thought to have affected native passerine birds but I'm wondering if anyone has any info on this and our psitticidae birds?

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
@Lady Jane among others have posted about this, including a link to this article. There's also a link here so people can report cases to those investigating this.

It sounds, or at least that's the way I'm interpreting it, as something that's happening to young birds, so probably not an immediate threat to our pet birds (although if there are breeders in this region I hope they're being especially careful in case it's being transmitted somehow). That said, I'm being much more careful about washing my hands and changing out of my shoes when I come in from outside. Not that I've been poking dead birds when I go out, of course.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Lady Jane among others have posted about this, including a link to this article. There's also a link here so people can report cases to those investigating this.

It sounds, or at least that's the way I'm interpreting it, as something that's happening to young birds, so probably not an immediate threat to our pet birds (although if there are breeders in this region I hope they're being especially careful in case it's being transmitted somehow). That said, I'm being much more careful about washing my hands and changing out of my shoes when I come in from outside. Not that I've been poking dead birds when I go out, of course.
Thank you, I figured someone on here had been on top of this info, but I don't browse around very much, just too busy most of the time. And yeah, I don't poke dead birds either.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I read that the DNR agency ask anyone finding dead birds just (with gloves) put them in a sealed plastic bag and in the garbage. Such a sad thing to do. I see several photos in my FB group of bird lovers in my state of Md. with birds on the ground, blinded by the fungus or what ever it is on their eyes and cannot fly. Cannot find food. Such suffering and slow death It is beyond sad. I cant help think it is somehow connected to our recent cicada invasion.

Now the smaller tree branches where the cicada deposited their eggs fall to the ground as nature intended so the eggs can go into the ground for another 17 years. I will no longer be here the next time we see them. Finding any answers is agonizingly slow.

Birds get mysterious illness and die in MD, IN, DC, KY, VA (usatoday.com)

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I had a little hope when I read about the mysterious illness lately but this article doesn't talk about a decline in cases. I really hope it will be solved and over soon. :(

Unknown disease blinding, killing songbirds now reported in 9 states

Something that's really sad and scary is one of the comments I read from a reader of the article. That person said it spread to a woman's parrots, probably from her clothes. If you happen to come across a sick or dead wild bird also change your clothes just in case.

Screenshot_20210708-095913_Brave.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Now some scientist thinks extreme heat, climate change may play a roll. Get your lawn sprinklers out for the birds if you can.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I know this mysterious bird illness didn't originate in Florida but something about these gmo mosquitoes scare me and I wonder if birds are eating them.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I know this mysterious bird illness didn't originate in Florida but something about these gmo mosquitoes scare me and I wonder if birds are eating them.

It worries me very much too. Most things that man has 'fixed' ends up with catastrophic results years later.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When our wild birds begin to die, who’ next?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Ok after reading several of the articles, I'm wondering if it a form of listeriosis. We just had this nasty bacteria go thru our flock of sheep. The symptoms were eye twitching, watery crusty eyes and boat load of neurological symptoms; ie temporary blindness, walking whole circles, not eating or drinking, walking into trees, stumps and fence posts. We had 11 in quarantine 10 ewes and ram that we just bought. We lost 9 ewes in less then 2 weeks. 1 ewe is still having neurological effects but somewhat better. The ram is just plain a crazy boy like some young human males. He has chased uncle out of the fence numerous times with just barely skin width between them.
The vet said that listeriosis, some of it is now antibiotic resistant. Luckily ours responded well to penicillin. And a lot of time and effort to tube feed and tube water into their bodies.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@CrazyBirdChick is there a way you can post a link to this so that I can post in my bird group on FB? Thanks for this.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
@CrazyBirdChick is there a way you can post a link to this so that I can post in my bird group on FB? Thanks for this.
I will try but not sure if I can share the link without the video automatically popping up. Let's see if this works

http://instagr.am/p/CSM3qfLluHr/

Looks like that didn't work. I'm sorry, I don't know how to just share a link. If you go the the wild birds unlimited Instagram account, click on that latest post with the video, tgen click on the the three white dots in the upper right hand corner you can copy that link and then share it elsewhere yourself.

If that doesn't work for you you can share the worded article by sharing this link

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Unfortunately, I just saw a post from the same guy saying he may have jumped the gun. :sad14:

Screenshot_20210813-100928_Instagram.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
City Wildlife
2h ·
This just in! Despite the fact that the disease that was killing perching birds in the DC area has never been identified, government veterinarians say that bird feeders and baths may be put out again with the following precautions:
• Feeders and baths should be cleaned and disinfected with a 10% bleach solution at least weekly. Before refilling, rinse feeders and baths well with water and allow to air dry. Wear disposable gloves when cleaning and wash hands well when finished.
• When feeding birds follow expert recommendations such as those listed in Audubon International’s Guide to Bird Feeding.
• Do not handle sick or dead birds and keep pets away for them. Dead birds should be disposed of in a sealed plastic bag, either in household trash or by burying.
• If you see sick, dying, or dead birds, take down feeders and baths and contact your state or District wildlife conservation agency.
Meanwhile, various wildlife disease laboratories continue their research on the disease.

I read the disease is thought to not be a bird disease but from the insecticide some humans put on the cicadas when they were out. How stupid is that?

Comment