• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My suspicions have been confirmed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Shawn has two feathers growing out of one follicle. I wonder if his previous owners ever knew that. They just said that once in a while he'd pick a hole in his chest. Well here's why. If you look right under the big feather on the left you'll see a smaller one sticking out from under it. It is most definitely coming out of the same hole. Is there anything I can do other than just plucking the offending feather out?

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Ouch! I think that's your only option...particularly if it preempts a plucking episode. I imagine that would be both painful and bothersome to him

Have you talked to your CAV?

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
He's been to the vet many times. He's on soother spray 3 times a day, wears an E collar and has had two hormone shots. He's had a total blood workup twice now and it's been all negative. The last time he was in the scab was still on his chest so the doctor pulled the scab off and pulled the one feather that was coming in. Now that we've left it alone for a while and he's had the collar on I now see what's growing out of it. I think in the past he was just pulling them out himself :(

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I would request that the vet extract that feather, maybe with a topical numbing agent. I would not want to induce more plucking and that looks pretty inflamed. :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would surgically opt to have that follicle removed. It looks extremely painful. Poor guy!!! :(:(:(

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8: poor guy that would bother me too

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That sure would explain why he would go after that area. Ouch! If the extra one is removed would it grow back even with the other one in place? Seems it would have to come out either way but it sure would be nice if leaving one (if thats possible) could slow down the process of it coming back. Thats the one time where you'd want the follicle to not be able to regrow a feather. :( Hope it is something easily treated :hug8:

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
ouch, that looks so painful and inflamed. I would definitely take him to the vet and see if he can permanently fix it. that has to hurt. It hurts me just to look at that photo. lol. Please keep us updated.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Poor guy:(

I would also opt for surgical removal of the follicle. If you just pull one feather out, chances are (at least with my Leyla and Kermit) it'll either grow back right away, the other one will fall out and they'll both grow back, or you'll just do more damage to the follicle and irritate the area more. If the reason for the double feathers is follicle trauma, there's also a good chance it'll always grow back with two. If it's really bugging him and there's just the one, I think removing the follicle would be best for him.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I didn't even know it was possible to remove a follicle! :rolleyes:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor guy,I hope he,s able to get some relief. :hug8:

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Sending healing thoughts for Shawn, and hugs for you both! :hug8: I would also ask the vet for more info on removing the folicle. :hug8: I'm glad you've found this clue to his plucking, the unknowns are always so frustrating. :(

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
He's got an appointment on Monday. His doctor is on vacation this week.

My husband yesterday was going on about how much Shawn's been screaming lately and how it's driving him batty. I brought him out and saw the feathers and showed them to my husband. Then he felt bad. At least now he understands and hopefully will have a bit more compassion for him.

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Awwww poor little dude!!! There's nothing I can add so just going to send healing prayers ur way!!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
is it even possible to remove a follicle? It seems like it would be the ideal thing but Ive never heard of the procedure. Has anyone had that done?

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
is it even possible to remove a follicle? It seems like it would be the ideal thing but Ive never heard of the procedure. Has anyone had that done?
I don't know a ton about it and haven't had it done for my birds, but I do know some vets use electrolysis to kill the follicle. I'd considered that for Leyla at the onset of her polyfolliculitis, but she had way too many affected follicles, it would have cost a fortune.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I don't know a ton about it and haven't had it done for my birds, but I do know some vets use electrolysis to kill the follicle. I'd considered that for Leyla at the onset of her polyfolliculitis, but she had way too many affected follicles, it would have cost a fortune.
Hmm, that would be a great option. I guess I'll find out next Monday. Thanks for the info!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor boy! I hope Dr. Gold can give you some answers on Monday.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Poor boy! I hope Dr. Gold can give you some answers on Monday.
Now that he has a better range of motion he's not nearly as miserable. Hopefully Dr Gold has a relatively easy solution.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hoping you and Shawn can get some relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.