• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Sun Conure

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucklebird

Meeting neighbors
I've been debating if I should clip my Conure's wing. He will be turning one soon and is flying great. Although he is getting a litte stubborn and I think that the wing clipping will help control his temperament and stubbornness. What should I do? I don't usually clip my birds.....

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
I don't have any advice for you, I was just hoping to see some pics! I can't get enough Sun pics!

birdman78

Real Name
John
That really is a personal choice. I'm sure you will the best decison for you and your Sun. I would love to see pics too.

renaelock

Strolling the yard
Stubborn birds are easier to control if they can't fly away. You could always do it this one time - there are different ways to do it so instead of falling fast they glide down nicely. You can work on his attitude while his feathers grow back and then try it again. It's not a forever thing, but it will take some time for him to be able to fly again if you do clip him. Just make a list of the pros and cons and go from there. GeoG my red belly was clipped before I brought him home because he played keep away when it was time to go in the carrier, some would disapprove to clip wings of a new bird, but it has helped with the bonding so I am hoping I won't have to clip his wings again.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Paul has been pressing me to clip Ella, my Sun, to help her with a couple of attitude adjustments and keep her from always flying to him. My personal opinion is to not clip her wings, as she is just growing out from a clip at her previous place and is learning how to fly. I also don't want to give us a crutch on how to better handle the birds so that Paul wants this to be a continuous thing, as I have never clipped Archie. However, I can see in some cases where clipping to curb a behavior of a stubborn bird and give you a little more time with them would be quite beneficial to your relationship. Ella was flying and attacking one of our guests last night, to the point where it made me really question if she should have the ability to fly.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not clip but that is a personal choice my birds are enabled with choices and with positive reinforcement chose what I would prefer

here is some more information on positive reinforcement for those that are interested

The Writings of Susan Friedman, Ph

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
you can always do a slight clip wing where they can still get airborn and "fall" fly so they don't drop to the ground like bricks.

I would make sure though that your sunny knows how to fly first, if she is learning and you clip now I imagine it could be traumatizing to her.

grndragon57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fred
We generally don't clip, however it can help in some situations. We have a couple birds who are clipped for their good and ours. My Cherry Head must be clipped at all times or he will fly and attack my wife. One of our Sun Conures needs to be clipped because while she flies well she has never learned not to fly into walls.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
I clip my cockatoo to keep his behavior down

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
I keep my peach front clipped. She is very sweet when clipped but when she is not, she has a real attitude.

JohnM

Moving in
Our sun conure will be one year old in March. We do clip her because we take her for frequent walks (on our shoulder) around the neighborhood and also out on the trails. She loves getting out with us and doesn't seem to mind the clipped wings at all. She's well bonded to us because of all the interaction she has with us.

Every once in a while, I see a picture of a missing bird on a lamp post around the neighborhood. I never want mine to be on a lamp post. In Southern California, becuase of the hawks and other birds of prey, a little parrot like this won't survive a week on their own. But as others have said it's a personal choice, and your situation may be such that clipping wouldn't be right for you or for the bird. In our case, and due to our lifestyle, it's the right thing to do.

lsware

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Linda
I keep all 7 of my birds clipped. You cannot control a bird to work with if it can fly away from you. When clipped properly they can only float down but can't rise up from a low place like the floor and are very willing to step up onto my finger. I have an CAG, Blue Crown conure, Senegal, Lovebird, 2 parrotlets, and a YS green cheek conure. The parrotlets are a little flighty but they are both young 12 weeks and are still getting used to being handled daily.

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
My sun was over due for his wing clip and he was getting a bad attitue, so I got him clipped and he has settled right down, he actually plays more with all his toys since the clip. Now if he takes off he doesn't get too far and he glides nicely to the floor. I hated doing it cause he flies so darn good, but it was for his saftey as well as mine, and he's used to it, doesn't seem to mind at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.