• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My roomates want a bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My roomates are in love with my cockatoos. But I told them a lot about Linnie's, P'lets, Caiques, Sennies and Red Bellies and the Capes. And they really want a smaller bird. I really told them off of the bigger guys. I honestly dont think a bigger bird, either adoption, breeder bought, or rescue is fit for them. For one they wont have to get a double macaw cage if they got a smaller spieces of bird, and they could get a good size cage from a flight cage size to a 40x30 for the caique size birds.

So right now, Im just sending emails to my friends on websites to check out and information regarding said species.

They're going to be ordering a large cage, once they figure out what kind of birds they truly want. They went to the local bird store to play with the baby caiques and an adult sennie for adoption. They are looking on craigs list for a rehome said species of birds. I tol dthem all about bird mills,etc :)

Right now I want to send them many links of smaller bird toys, types of cages, and BAD info on said birds, why they SHOUDLNT get a bird,etc.

Any recommendations for smaller bird toys?
Type of cage?
Which one of the said birds would you get (plet, liinie, caique, red belly, senegal)?
and why they shouldnt get a bird?

Thanks!

CajunTAter

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joelle
First off probably need more information such as:

What times are they home?
Is talking important?
What are they willing to spend?
Are they prepared for the expense?
Is color important?
ARe they ready for a rehome/rescue (that takes a lot for a new owner)

Just stuff like that. Maybe give us some more info. I mean, smaller birds are great but to narrow it down we need to know a little more about what they want

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
First off probably need more information such as:

What times are they home? Many are home at different itme sof the day. My firneds birthday works from 3am-4pm, my friend is gone from 12pm-6pm, school. And their kids are in school, and home at different times.

Is talking important? No, not at all. They want a companion bird, something fun, known to get a long with many people. They LOVE, absolutely love my cockatoos. But they agree a smaller species of bird would be great, and much mor eprefered for "their" family.
What are they willing to spend? They dont care about prices.
Are they prepared for the expense? I believe so. I told them about my vet cares in the past. They treat their Lab like a roayl princess, always ontime for shots, medications, everything.
Is color important? Not at all. They want a companion.
ARe they ready for a rehome/rescue (that takes a lot for a new owner)

I'll be here for them. I thoroughly educated them on breeder, petstores, etc. I personally dont want them to get a bird if they truly are not commited. I have told them all I can. They are doing google research when they can, they arent impulse buyers (unless you consider their electronics..wow..lol). I just dont want them to get into something, and not want the bird animal when the kids are finally out the house, etc.
\
Just stuff like that. Maybe give us some more info. I mean, smaller birds are great but to narrow it down we need to know a little more about what they want
All in all, they just want a smaller bird speices companion. My birds are GREAT. But they are definetly arent 'too people, they love my boys, but I wouldnt say they would be able to care for a larger species for a lifetime.

They dont want something that will live forever, as they put it. So larger species are out of the questions.

I did tell them caiques and sennies are known to live up to 40 years of age.

They want something that live between 20-40.

I think maybe a hahns may be a good idea too, but they are known to be nippy.

They told me they do not want; budgies, lovebirds, or a cockatiel. Although I recommend a cockatiel. They live between 20-40, overall great "family" bird, fun little birds.

But they want "fun", "exciting", something that will keep them on their toes and give them many laughs and make hanging out with the bird be like a new experience every time, so it doesnt get old(Kinda like my 'toos, but again they are not big bird people).

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
From what you're explaining, a Budgie seems to fit their preferences but they don't want one, sooo..

I think something in the Poicephalus family would fit them well. Meyers, Red Bellied, Senegals, etc.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I love p'lets. They can have attitudes and can be kinda nippy, but I wouldn't trade them for the world. I would say a good sized cage would be an HQ flight, or even a double flight. And they might want to consider getting a pair so they can keep each other company when they aren't at home. And they should also consider adopting. I don't know about your area, but there have been a lot of parrotlets up for adoption around here.
13221 HQ Flight Cage 32x21 - Presented by My Bird Cage
16421 HQ Double Flight Cage 64x21 - Presented by Presented by My Bird Cage

tracieerin

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracie
seconding greencheek... poi as a second

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I don't mean to sound rude but, when some one tells me this

They dont want something that will live forever, as they put it. So larger species are out of the questions.

then I tell tell them Sorry but then a bird is not what you want , Any bird can live up to 30 years or more when given proper care !

and that includes budgies their life expectancy is up to 15 years
I've spoken with people who own budgies that are 20 years old if not more

MorningGloria

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Celeste
I don't know what happened to my comment??

I agree with the conure suggestion. They are known for being friendly with everyone if they are exposed at a young age. They're very hardy, easily adaptable, have lots of energy and can be quite entertaining. Just as long as noise isn't an issue and they have you there to guide them I think they'd be a great bird for a beginner (again-with your guidance).

As far as why they SHOULDN'T well what is their living situation like? Are they planning to be roommates for a long time? Is it temporary? Do they have a plan in place if they were to seperate as to who would retain custody of the bird? They should take into consideration that someone could move out of state so frequent visits may not be an option. I don't think it's a reason not to get a bird, but I do think long term plans are something they should discuss at great length anytime two people are making the purchase together. You never know what life is going to throw at you. It's really like having a baby!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
green cheek! :)

Why shouldn`t they get a bird.. hmm..

they`re loud, they`re messy, they`re demanding, they`re expensive, they`re a LIFETIME commitment (most birds) there`s no guarantee the bird will like them, or even be friendly.. there`s so many reasons why NOT to get a bird, but if you really want to dedicate yourself to a bird, then theres so many reasons why you SHOULD get a bird.. you should get them on here to read about everyone`s bird to make thr decision themself!

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I think a Linnie is a PERFECT starter bird, their life expectancy is 10-20 years... they are quiet, sweet, and ohhh so cute!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
then I tell tell them Sorry but then a bird is not what you want , Any bird can live up to 30 years or more when given proper care !
I know what you mean. But I think they said that in regards to when I told them my Umbies will live to 80 years of age. And then they told me if they get a bird they dont want it to "live forever". lol

I sent them a link here, so they can join at their leisure and read what everyone has to say!

I think maybe a green cheek conure may be good for them too. Or even a 'plet, or Linnie. I dont know if a Caique or Sennie would be the best choice.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

My recommendation would be either an Indian Ringneck or Green Cheek Conure. I definately would not recommend a caique, as they can be very high energy. Our IRN lives in a cage thats would fit 6 cockatiels comfortably. He is spoiled and has tons of toys. I recommend lots of toys, shreddables, foraging, etc. If they choose a silly Green Cheek Conure, same situation, cage size about the same, toys the same... Make sure they investigate the diet requirements, out of cage time they can dedicate daily, cage size for the species they are interested in adopting. Not pet stores..yikes! Try a local rescue or a breeder. If it is theyre first bird, I really recommend a baby that they can learn from. Babies tend to not bite as often and you just feel more comfortable with a baby bird as they grow you learn the behaviors , when they will be bitten, noise, etc. Be prepared to end up taking care of the bird when they decide its just too much work. hahahahahaa

CajunTAter

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joelle
Have they decided what they may want?

It is so nice of you to take your time to educate these people and help them. I applaude you ..:highfive:

amazoncrazy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melissa
I say a conure too but I'd suggest a gold capped if you can find them in your area. They really are little clowns and a ton of fun to have. They are as loud aas suns though so if that would be an issue a GCC migh tbe better

TITANIS

I think maybe a green cheek conure may be good for them too. Or even a 'plet, or Linnie. I dont know if a Caique or Sennie would be the best choice.
Hi Mercedez,

I think a GCC or similar conure might make the best fit considering their very small number of choices. A Senegal or caique could end up being too nippy or loud, and I'm afraid the novelty might wear off fast if that's not what they expect to deal with in a bird. In truth, a cockatiel or budgie is probably the best fit, but they adamantly stated they don't want either one. I could understand that, since I'm more of a mid-sized bird person myself and cannot argue about something I personally understand.

I would recommend a Cape over all species mentioned but they are VERY expensive and feel odd recommending such a costly species to a first-time bird owner. An alternative would be Australian grass parakeets like a Rosella and related species, or a linnie recommended by Joanna but the latter are small birds, so your friends may feel the same about them as budgies.

Status
Not open for further replies.