• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Quaker parrot hates humans

maxmidd

Moving in
Real Name
Max
Hi, so I’ve had my Quaker Parrot Comet for just over a year now, and he just doesn’t like anyone.

Ive tried everything I can to bond with him and to gain his trust, but nothing works, I spend over 6 hours a day with him, he has a big 3 foot by 3 foot cage, and a 10 foot by 4 foot aviary for him to play in when I’m not home. He has lots of toys in his cage and aviary, he’s never in his cage when I’m home and he has a healthy diet (pellets and chop).

I take him with me everywhere in the house so he feels like I’m part of his flock, I’ve done target training with him to try and get him to come near my hand, but he refuses. I’ve also tried bribing him with food to come near me, but he still refuses. I just don’t know what else I can do to bond with him.

I got him from a pet shop (I know now that was a stupid thing for me to do) because I couldn’t find a Quaker for sale within a 100 miles of where I live, and I’ve always loved Quakers. When I got him he was young, and lived in a small cage with another Quaker, and never had any attention from humans.

Should I get him a friend to live in the aviary with him? Because like I said, I’ve had him for over a year and I can’t seem to earn his trust, and I’m starting to think I’ll never earn his trust. Please can someone help me!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

mak

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome!!! :bump4:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What treats have you tried to use in training?

When have you tried training?

You may never have a bird that is extremely dependent on you and demanding attention, but that's okay! In fact, having an overly bonded bird could lead to issues later down the road. That said, perhaps there's some key connection that's being missed? Or perhaps your quaker is bonded to you, but not how you feel that connection should be?